Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 AWD Rated Mileage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is another data point:

Raised the limit to 90% at 8am and did another charge. Car sits in the garage from last charge 80% 5am.

80%: 381km at 5am = 476km at 100% (Odometer = 1213)
90%: 428km at 10am = 476km at 100% (Odometer = 1213)

Here is another data point:

Raised the limit to 90% at 8am and did another charge. Car sits in the garage from last charge 80% 5am.

80%: 381km at 5am = 476km at 100% (Odometer = 1213)
90%: 428km at 10am = 476km at 100% (Odometer = 1213)

Why don't you try charging to 100% and see what you get instead of extrapolating?

The only way to really know if the battery is degrading is to have Tesla run diagnostics on it, or drive the same route from full charge and see if you get the same range or not. This is the 'method' people with lower range cars like a volt would use to determine if their range loss was 'real' or related to external factors like weather, road elevation changes, or driving style.

As you can imagine, even in a volt with 80-100km of range its a difficult test to run in a controlled fashion. In a model 3 I expect it would be next to impossible, unless you hop on your local high school running track and circle it a few thousand times :)

The range estimate is just that, an estimate. You cant treat it like it has an accuracy of a few percent. Any car is the same if you think about it. If you filled up your ICE car and it estimated 550km to the full tank, but you ended up getting 520km would you say the motor is degrading? In that case, the car would re calculate the efficiency based off of recent driving and adjust the estimate accordingly.

I'm not trying to be dismissive, or argumentative. Just trying to put you at ease. The battery is 99.9% fine. And if something is wrong with it, you still have 7.5 years and 191,000 km of warranty from Tesla on it :)

Reactions: Pescakl1
The battery is probably fine; if not, with a this trend of 0.8% loss per day, I can easily get Tesla to replace it in three or four months when the meter shows 0 km after 80% full charge :)

The real question is why we see such behavior ... is it really related to environmental parameters or what triggers the software to put a such limit? Tesla won't tell us for sure; the only way to find out is to apply Tesla's NN method :)

By the way, my ICE cars always get the same fixed number range once the tank is filled up regardless winter or summer. The only difference is that in winter the remaining number drops quicker than in summer. This is common sense in ICE but obviously wrong in EV. :)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: X.l.r.8
What is the easiest way to monitor your mileage? I have a couple little kids and don’t have time to keep a logbook or build a spreadsheet. Is there a way through the Tesla app or the car directly? And are all of the calculations above based on uncertain/unverifiable assumptions about what a certain battery percentage or km range estimate equates to?

What is the easiest way to monitor your mileage? I have a couple little kids and don’t have time to keep a logbook or build a spreadsheet. Is there a way through the Tesla app or the car directly? And are all of the calculations above based on uncertain/unverifiable assumptions about what a certain battery percentage or km range estimate equates to?

I think most people are just setting the charge limit and seeing how many KMs they have listed in the morning after charging. One potential issue with this method is the calculations for determining the displayed range and the charge limit may be different, so it could show a discrepency.

I actually think the projected range displayed in the enery view is much more interesting anyway... And likely much more accurate.

Just do a check every month; bring the car down to less than 20% and charge to 95% - the last 10% takes forever and I never see the car past 470km. And charges after that to 70 (~349) / 80 (~399) / and 90 (~449). My car was giving out ~336 at 70% setting for a long while until I did the low SoC to ~95% recalibration charge.

Winter's coming :eek:, 20% used to heat pack with charge rate of 39km/hr vs normal of 47~50km/hr

upload_2018-10-22_8-55-57.png

• Informative
Reactions: Techniques
Did a reset charging from 5% to 100% but no effect. Changed the display mode to battery instead of km, the rated range went all the way from 470+ to 493+km and stayed there for the past three days ... what type of software is this?

Did a reset charging from 5% to 100% but no effect. Changed the display mode to battery instead of km, the rated range went all the way from 470+ to 493+km and stayed there for the past three days ... what type of software is this?

Mine was going to 441 or 442 at 90% the past 10 days. After a software update today it went to 448 at 89%.

Also do you mean you switched it from km to percentage and back to km?

Mine was going to 441 or 442 at 90% the past 10 days. After a software update today it went to 448 at 89%.

Also do you mean you switched it from km to percentage and back to km?

I switched back to km to check the range and switched again to battery icon - the key is to keep the battery icon when the car is being charged. By the way, I didn't see the improvements from 36 to 39.7, or from 39.7 to 42.3.

The km range your on your panel next to the battery is the EPA rated range, and does NOT take into account driving style, weather, or whatever-else.

The video above nails the latest logic from Tesla, which has changed over the years. Charge to 90% daily. If you charge to 80%, you will lower your range because the car won’t realize how much battery capacity it has. It’s fixable by charging to 90%.

So charge to 90% daily, and once every two or three months, do a 100% charge just before a drive. You’ll be great.