Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Flooded Last Week - Concerned

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, All. I'm new here. I'm freaking out a bit. Hope you can help me.

My Model 3 took on water while parked last week. I was not with the car at the time. My best guess is that it was exposed to less than 12" of water for less than 20 minutes.

Floors took on no more than an inch of water (area directly under seats did NOT get wet, but all four driver/passenger foot areas were wet). There was no standing water in the car when I returned to it, (floors were squishy).

We quickly wet-vac'd the vehicle, left the windows open all night (garaged), fans, etc. The following morning, I drove the vehicle to Tesla service (>10 miles from my house). Don't get me started on roadside assistance's recommendations or trying to schedule an appointment through the app (8 days lead time).

Tesla service initially said that there was no way that water should have gotten in the vehicle, then tested all of the seals on the vehicle and confirmed their integrity. They came back and essentially said, "well, the water could still get in through the wheel wells or suspension".

Is anyone aware of the "water tight" level of the 3? As in, should this have been possible based on build specs of the car? I have serious concerns about the integrity of the vehicle, as a whole, right now. Thank you.

I would suggest contacting Tesla SC on that - better safe than sorry. I'd be most concerned with the battery pack in the floor, than anything else.

Thanks for the comment.

Tesla service swears that there is no way that the battery was or could have been compromised. I asked for data/evidence to prove it. I want to know exactly how they determine that it is not compromised.

They've had the car for a week and all they've produced is that water did not enter through the doors, roof or windows (which I told them when I brought it in - there was no evidence of any leak). Now I'm waiting 2 weeks for new upholstery. Sorry, ranting.

Given enough time and temperature/pressure change, I can see the weather stripping around the bottom of the doors allowing water to get in. Sure, it can keep rain and splashes out easily, but to have a body of water pushing against it, surely we can expect water to make its way in.

So long as the battery pack and the other electronics are sealed safely, I'd just get the carpets steam cleaned, dehumidified, and aired out.

How did Tesla test the seals? Did they submerge the car in a foot of water?

They did not submerge the car (said doing so was not viable). My argument was simply, "if you can't recreate the environment, how can you tell me that the vehicle has been properly tested"?

I am 100% positive that water did not enter through the doors. We opened all 4 immediately to check the seals - everything was dry. Th carpets nearest the door frame were bone dry, too. The water definitely came UP, in to the cabin.

They argue that, because the car is not reporting a problem, there is no problem. Ignoring the possibility that water could have compromised the, previously fool-proof, alerting system.

More context, FWIW - the car was parked on the street. Flash flood. Over and done in ~20 minutes.

Just for my own clarification. You think that if the car is underwater it should not leak?

No - I am not under the impression that I purchased a boat or submersible.

I want proof that the vehicle is safe to operate and in no way compromised beyond repair. If this incident has potentially compromised the safety or reduced the lifespan of my vehicle, I want them to tell my insurance company.

Any car during a flash flood can get water in it. Chances are the water came in from the drains on both sides of the car. There are drains in all cars for water to drain out the body when it rains. Drains for the heater core etc. when the water rose it came in thru a vent or the drains. If you expect the vehicle not to take on water then a Land Rover is the way to go.

Your car should be fine.

I want proof that the vehicle is safe to operate and in no way compromised beyond repair. If this incident has potentially compromised the safety or reduced the lifespan of my vehicle, I want them to tell my insurance company.

Totally get it now and thank you for the clarification. I agree with that and am glad I didn't flame you for what I "thought" you meant :)

Any car during a flash flood can get water in it. Chances are the water came in from the drains on both sides of the car. There are drains in all cars for water to drain out the body when it rains. Drains for the heater core etc. when the water rose it came in thru a vent or the drains. If you expect the vehicle not to take on water then a Land Rover is the way to go.

Your car should be fine.

Thanks - this is my hope.

I want documented evidence to justify that claim. If there is any sort of electrical issue (i.e. ANY issue with the car) in the future, I want to be protected. I'm concerned about having a lifetime of issues and repairs in front of me that can/should be addressed right now.

That and autopilot making unpredictable decisions.

Hi, All. I'm new here. I'm freaking out a bit. Hope you can help me.

My Model 3 took on water while parked last week. I was not with the car at the time. My best guess is that it was exposed to less than 12" of water for less than 20 minutes.

Floors took on no more than an inch of water (area directly under seats did NOT get wet, but all four driver/passenger foot areas were wet). There was no standing water in the car when I returned to it, (floors were squishy).

We quickly wet-vac'd the vehicle, left the windows open all night (garaged), fans, etc. The following morning, I drove the vehicle to Tesla service (>10 miles from my house). Don't get me started on roadside assistance's recommendations or trying to schedule an appointment through the app (8 days lead time).

Tesla service initially said that there was no way that water should have gotten in the vehicle, then tested all of the seals on the vehicle and confirmed their integrity. They came back and essentially said, "well, the water could still get in through the wheel wells or suspension".

Is anyone aware of the "water tight" level of the 3? As in, should this have been possible based on build specs of the car? I have serious concerns about the integrity of the vehicle, as a whole, right now. Thank you.

What does your insurance company say about it? Potentially this is a total loss of the car depending on the level of water exposure. A few years ago BMW/Mini called owners of over 1,000 vehicles that had been exposed to sea waves when they were at port during a storm. Because of the nature of the saltwater exposure every one of the vehicles parked in certain unloading lots during the storm were totalled out as a preventative measure since it's impossible for the manufacturer to predict the kind of future electrical and corrosion issues the vehicles will suffer as a result of the exposure... and I imagine to head off any future lawsuits.

The owners were literally called months after taking delivery of their car, told it was immediately to be totalled, given a long term loaner and a new order for a new vehicle with some complimentary upgrades was ordered for them.

Reactions: Bill Foster

Have you reported the water damage to your insurance company? The results of water damage often don't manifest for months or even a year or two after submersion happened. I don't see how Tesla can tell your insurance company one way or the other "this car is fine". If you look at a schematic of the car you will see that if the water intruded up into the cabin of the car (carpet matting soaking wet) then there are multiple electrical components of the car that would have been submerged that are not designed to be submerged.

Reactions: Bill Foster
Have you reported the water damage to your insurance company? The results of water damage often don't manifest for months or even a year or two after submersion happened. I don't see how Tesla can tell your insurance company one way or the other "this car is fine". If you look at a schematic of the car you will see that if the water intruded up into the cabin of the car (carpet matting soaking wet) then there are multiple electrical components of the car that would have been submerged that are not designed to be submerged.

Yes - insurance is fully involved and prepared to pay for whatever repairs that Tesla reports. This is part of my frustration.