Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Flooded Last Week - Concerned

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve written this a few times - Tesla is the authority. Insurance company is on the hook. Insurance won’t do anything unless Tesla tells them to. If Tesla says the car is fine now and a problem directly related to this develops down the road, it won’t be covered.
I disagree. You are doing business with the Ins company not with Tesla. You expect the Ins impact to make your car whole. If later it’s determined that it isn’t, it’s still between you and the Ins co.

Tesla service is the authority here (rightly so). If they say the car is fine now and I wind up with a critical problem 2-3 years down the road, I’m out of pocket for thousands (potentially 10s of thousands). No one is going to go out of there way to connect the history in order to save me money. I’m trying to protect myself against that now, in advance. The second the car leaves the service center without assurances in writing, I’m on the hook for whatever may happen in the future due to the incident last week.

If your goal is to get the insurance to total the car, one avenue that can help is to argue for diminished value due to the flood black mark your Carfax is likely to acquire. That may involve getting an appraisal from a 3rd party company to make that argument, and state laws regarding diminished value vary greatly. May get your costs closer to a number the insurance will total for.

If your goal is to keep the car, you will have to ask how long your insurance company can keep the claim open for future damages caused by the water. You might actually be better off trying to find a 3rd party who can give an evaluation of the potential future issues to your insurance company vs Tesla. Frankly, I doubt Tesla is organized enough to provide what you are looking for. It’s possible someone who does diminished value appraisals may have a suggestion for what type of expert you may need to hire. Doesn’t really matter that the car is an EV, odds are those systems are sealed and will be fine - it’s the “normal car” stuff that will be problematic.

Reactions: Scott7 and m3NY
My thought is that it's likely fine. Since these are electric cars, and electricity and water don't mix, I'm betting that the parts sensitive to water are well protected. I know flooding isn’t quite the same thing, but it sounds like the water didn’t get that high.

If you're really worried about it you always have the option to sell it and buy a new one. You'll take a short term hit, but you'll gain piece of mind. Depends on your financial situation whether that's a viable option or not.

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev
Hell yeah, I'd be worried about the future if I was the OP. He isn't trying "blame" Tesla for some sort of defect in the car. He wants a list of potential problems that could arise due to the car being partially submerged so that he can tell his insurance about it (I imagine his insurance will fight with the insurance of whatever caused the submersion). At a minimum, he needs a complete listing of all the items that got submerged that weren't designed to get submerged (carpeting, etc.), potential rusting issues, etc. and how much they cost to fix.

Hell yeah, I'd be worried about the future if I was the OP. He isn't trying "blame" Tesla for some sort of defect in the car. He wants a list of potential problems that could arise due to the car being partially submerged so that he can tell his insurance about it (I imagine his insurance will fight with the insurance of whatever caused the submersion). At a minimum, he needs a complete listing of all the items that got submerged that weren't designed to get submerged (carpeting, etc.), potential rusting issues, etc. and how much they cost to fix.

THIS

♥️3000 @FoverM

Agree but the Model 3 is the next generation. The battery and protection learned a lot from Model S and X

Saying it's more flood resistant is anecdotal at best since so few of them have likely been immersed. The systems are probably better able to handle it but that's not really saying much if the car starts throwing faults and spends 1/2 its life in the shop 1-2 years from now when things that have trapped water start to corrode.

Reactions: Matt L
Someone posted video on youtube of them rebuilding a model S that had flood damage. The motors and other components had rust and issues from the water, they didn't want to power it up for fear what would happen due to the high voltages.

@m3NY any chance this happened on a street with commercial tenants in stores that might have video footage on surveillance equipment to show the depth of water at least?

I’ve seen news stories of flash floods that affect certain streets in a town and it can be quite surprising and dramatic with some cars parked being affected and others not, unfortunate luck of the draw and slope/path/flow rate of water. Totally get your concern for your car. Can Tesla tell you what wiring/parts might have been affected that were near the floor? Sort of list of potential rust/corrosion issues? Might be the best they can do for you at this point other than replacing water damaged things they can see. I feel for you. Good luck.

Last edited:
So you expect Tesla to be on the hook?

This is why they really shouldn’t be doing this work. You want them to assume the liability for your negligence.

What negligence on his part? Have you never seen news footage of flash floods occurring in towns with hills? Probably find a lot of examples on YouTube. It’s really frightening in some cases. Out in nature think of flashfloods coming down dry arroyos in desert areas or canyons.

Reactions: TheOtherPete
Rich-Rebuilds has tried to restore a flooded ( much higher ) Model S. I don't think you can guaranty anything is watertight with an immersion.

Didn’t Rich buy at auction the silver Model 3 that early on was driven into a creek in Morgan Hill by a Tesla energy employee? I recall that car was partially sitting in water for a period of time before pulled out so had longer and maybe deeper exposure but he might have a better idea of what kind of long term damage you might encounter on a Model 3 as I think some time had passed before be was able to buy the salvaged car.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Dr. J
Document the potential issues that could arise down the road which would not appear immediately, but may present themselves later. Put it in clear terms that A, B and C could occur due to the exposure to water. Give me something that will protect me against a $9,000 bill 4 years from now. In writing. My insurance company won’t cover it without a clear timeline tracing the issue back to this incident.
On a s class we had that flooded about the same amount as yours, we had to replace the main body control harness. Part alone was 30k.

Reactions: m3NY
My Model 3 took on water while parked last week. I was not with the car at the time. My best guess is that it was exposed to less than 12" of water for less than 20 minutes.

Floors took on no more than an inch of water (area directly under seats did NOT get wet, but all four driver/passenger foot areas were wet). There was no standing water in the car when I returned to it, (floors were squishy).

Is anyone aware of the "water tight" level of the 3?

No cars are "water tight", ever.
Well, maybe with the exception of Bond's Lotus Espirit.

Most insurance companies will declare a total loss on a car if the water reaches the axle height, for two reasons: your body and suspension will rust from here on out, and so will your electrical wiring. The former can be replaced (not cheap), but the latter is a never-ending nightmare.

You don't need Tesla's inspection for an insurance company to act on this flooding claim. This is a standard operating procedure for any insurance shop.

12" of water will definitely be above the axles and the door sills.
If I thought that my car went for a swim bad enough to flood the interior, I would be calling the insurance company arranging a total loss.

If there is any sort of electrical issue (i.e. ANY issue with the car) in the future, I want to be protected. I'm concerned about having a lifetime of issues and repairs in front of me that can/should be addressed right now.

I'm sorry, but you are being unreasonable.
Tesla is not your insurance provider, and you taking the car for a swim will not be covered by the warranty.

You are right to be concerned about future electrical gremlins.
You are nuts to expect Tesla (or any other OEM) to promise to you that nothing bad will ever happen after flooding your car.

Leave Tesla out of this. It's a flooding insurance claim. End of story.

a

Last edited:
What negligence on his part? Have you never seen news footage of flash floods occurring in towns with hills? Probably find a lot of examples on YouTube. It’s really frightening in some cases. Out in nature think of flashfloods coming down dry arroyos in desert areas or canyons.
Someone has to pay. If not him and his insurance, who? Is it Tesla’s fault he parked the car where he did?

• Disagree
Reactions: TheOtherPete
I would argue with that. IF there is no damage for the insurance company to pay out, then there is no claim against the car...at this time. That would be my view from a technical stand point...I don't think a claim is a claim until money is paid out.
Who is paying for all the work Tesla is doing right now? That’s called a claim

Who is paying for all the work Tesla is doing right now? That’s called a claim

So it is a claim for diagnostics that finds nothing wrong? That doesn't mean the car should show flood damage, as there is no flood damage. If there is a claim for flood damage, then you would go for diminished value right...how would that work? Yes this could possibly turn into an interesting technical issue concerning claims and what gets reported on the car but I'll put it this way...if Tesla finds nothing wrong, I personally would eat the diagnostic cost to keep any claim off of the car. I would also keep notes of date/times of all these events so if there is something that creeps up later then a claim can be filed for damage due to a prior suspected flood event.

Edit...I also agree with the idea about fighting for the insurance to call it a total loss if the flooding can be proven and that flooding meets the insurance company's specifications for calling it a total loss.