Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 in Yukon at -39°C

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whitehorse has mild winters.
And they haven't had a -39 day there yet this winter. Not even close.
Been there done that.

They were at -24 to -36 for 4 consecutive days earlier this month at the official government weather station in Whitehorse. That's cold enough to be "close enough" in my book. In addition, all of the private weather stations within 15 km reported temps of -38-89 over the past month.

Last edited:
Whitehorse has mild winters.
And they haven't had a -39 day there yet this winter. Not even close.
Been there done that.
That’s what I would think as well. Whitehorse is about as far south as possible in the YT and fairly close to the coast, I don’t think they see much <0F. We have done mountain bike trips there the last 2 summers.

We did have a cold snap in South central AK 2nd week in Jan. I saw -30F, Anchorage had -20, just north of me had -40 to -55. I would say he can’t drive his EVs out of Whitehorse durring the winter. Pretty much an In Town car only.

Reactions: ricohman
They were at -24 to -36 for 4 consecutive days earlier this month at the official government weather station in Whitehorse. That's cold enough to be "close enough" in my book. In addition, all of the private weather stations within 15 km reported temps of -38-89 over the past month.

-25 to -29? BTW. We don't count night time low in the north as the daytime temp.

Reactions: coleAK
Do you only drive at the warmest point of the day? Of course not. The temps according to the OP match perfectly to the coldest temps in that city so far this winter.

The dude in the story drives out of his garage. My car will sit outside like all others all day. So yes, if you lived here you might understand this.
I've spent winters and summers in Whitehorse. It's a lot warmer there than where I live.

I get a kick out of the peanut gallery who arrives whenever Tesla is proving the detractors who say the car can't do winter very well wrong.

They'll start by trying to make -36 degrees sound relatively "mild". If you've ever lived anywhere where it got to -36 you know it's more than a "mild" mischaracterization to try to minimize the coldness. Then they'll say it's warm enough to ride a bike there in the summer (as if that somehow tells you the winters must be pretty mild too).

Then they say well, yes, you can run an electric car in Whitehorse but you're gonna be stuck in town all winter (as if it would have a problem making the 109 miles to Skagway, AK or the 50 miles to Carcross to rent some snowmobiles).

Next thing you know they'll be telling you an EV will only last 2 or 3 years in a harsh climate. Or is it a mild climate, lol! And it's always the same people trying to create a negative impression and sound knowledgable. If Musk went to Mars and back they would say, yes, but we knew how to do that in the 1960's, there just wasn't a compelling reason, and Mars is relatively close with a fairly hospitable climate compared to Venus.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I get a kick out of the peanut gallery who arrives whenever Tesla is proving the detractors who say the car can't do winter very well wrong.

They'll start by trying to make -36 degrees sound relatively "mild". If you've ever lived anywhere where it got to -36 you know it's more than a "mild" mischaracterization to try to minimize the coldness. Then they'll say it's warm enough to ride a bike there in the summer (as if that somehow tells you the winters must be pretty mild too).

Then they say well, yes, you can run an electric car in Whitehorse but you're gonna be stuck in town all winter (as if it would have a problem making the 109 miles to Skagway, AK or the 50 miles to Carcross to rent some snowmobiles).

Next thing you know they'll be telling you an EV will only last 2 or 3 years in a harsh climate. Or is it a mild climate, lol! And it's always the same people trying to create a negative impression and sound knowledgable. If Musk went to Mars and back they would say, yes, but we knew how to do that in the 1960's, there just wasn't a compelling reason, and Mars is relatively close with a fairly hospitable climate relative to Venus.:rolleyes:

I just found out that that my prospective purchase can't sit outside at -30 for more than 24 hrs.
Since we can have sub -30 for a week at a time this may be a problem. Why does Tesla specify this?

I just found out that that my prospective purchase can't sit outside at -30 for more than 24 hrs.
Since we can have sub -30 for a week at a time this may be a problem. Why does Tesla specify this?

See what I mean? We have a real peanut gallery going on here!:cool:

-30 degrees is such a "mild" temperature, I'm surprised they specify that!:rolleyes:

• Love
Reactions: Krugerrand
As per the how cold is cold argument. Pretty much when it get below -20 F it’s cold. As in no skin uncovered, down+wool, natives in full fur, high risk of hypothermia/frost bite cold.

And again you have no idea what you are talking about. Skagway? Only if you are getting on the ferry to go to Juneau so you can charge there, there is no charging in Skagway so you aren’t making the round trip over the mountains on that road in the winter without charging. And Carcross? Again did you just look at a map and pick random places. Chances are if you live in the YT you don’t need to rent snowmachines if your into that thing. You own them.

When I said it would be in in town only car in that area it’s because here is the charging network, look it up mostly wall outlets. Whitehorse is the middle of the 3 in a row the one to the east and west are wall outlets. And Haynes and Juneau are not accessible via road so you would have to drive to Skag and ferry there.
upload_2019-1-28_7-48-48.jpeg

Let me know if you get a straight answer. We just got hammered from a chinook wind so it’s mild over most of AK with brutal ice. But ide like to know the risk if I drive it to work when the high is -30.

OK. I talked with the dealership.
The cheerful young lady informed me that any temperature is "totally fine" and "like you just like plug it in with like an extension cord". The best part was hearing that it will be "totally charged" in the morning and ready to go because the battery has "heaters and stuff".
I am done with Tesla Chinook Calgary. So done.
I have called this place at least a dozen times regarding ordering and delivery and each answer to any question is completely different from whatever employee you happen to talk too.
I know good help can be hard to find but I'm done with this center. Winnipeg does not have a dealer either and they are closer. I leave for Cancun in February and was going to test drive a car while at the stop over in Calgary. I just don't know anymore.

And again you have no idea what you are talking about. Skagway? Only if you are getting on the ferry to go to Juneau so you can charge there, there is no charging in Skagway so you aren’t making the round trip over the mountains on that road in the winter without charging.

What's wrong with taking the ferry? I used to live less than a mile from the southern terminus of the Alaska Ferry. Plenty of Whitehorse/Yukon residents rely upon the ferry using gas cars. It's common! So I don't see what would be wrong with an EV using it. In fact, that's how motorists who live in Whitehorse get to Juneau! :rolleyes: Duh! So I still fail to see how having a Model 3 in Whitehorse locks you to town for the whole winter? Because it doesn't. That's just a fake claim you made to make EV's seem silly.

And Carcross? Again did you just look at a map and pick random places. Chances are if you live in the YT you don’t need to rent snowmachines if your into that thing. You own them.

More than half of residents of Whitehorse own zero snowmobiles. But snowmobiling was just one example of many possible trips one might want to take out of town. The point is, even during the winter you could drive wherever there is electrical service for destination charging within range. Yes, it requires more planning than with a gasoline vehicle.

If you read the article about the happy Model 3 owner in Whitehorse, you will notice that he says he dresses for the weather (uses the Model 3 like an enclosed snowmobile on the road). He say's you only need the climate control to keep the windows clear. Assuming he bought the LR Model 3, that would give hime a range of up to around 250 miles, even in winter temperatures, more if he cruised at slower speeds. You might not know this but the most common winter driving destination for Whitehorse residents is Skagway so they take a float plane or ferry to Juneau. Some will fly right out of Whitehorse direct to Juneau (yes, even those with ICE vehicles, lol!). So, no, the man in the article and his Model 3 are not going to limited to Whitehorse all winter.

I leave for Cancun in February and was going to test drive a car while at the stop over in Calgary. I just don't know anymore.

I don't recommend a Tesla Model 3 for you. Having read your comments, you are one of the few people that I think would be unhappy with it as a car. Just get a gasser and be done with it. Leave the Model 3's to people who can appreciate them.;)

Took my Model 3 Performance for a drive last weekend. The temperature was -31 when I set out and warmed up to -26 by the end of my 80-mile trip. This involved a mixture of city, highway and country road driving (65mph on the highway, country roads were mostly snow and ice with a limit of 50mph). The heater was on for half the trip and the seat heater on all the way. Started with an 80% charge, preheated. My car lives outside year round. By the end I had used 342 Wh/mile or 211 Wh/km. With proper battery pre-heating, I don't see any problem driving in -30 weather.

Took my Model 3 Performance for a drive last weekend. The temperature was -31 when I set out and warmed up to -26 by the end of my 80-mile trip. This involved a mixture of city, highway and country road driving (65mph on the highway, country roads were mostly snow and ice with a limit of 50mph). The heater was on for half the trip and the seat heater on all the way. Started with an 80% charge, preheated. My car lives outside year round. By the end I had used 342 Wh/mile or 211 Wh/km. With proper battery pre-heating, I don't see any problem driving in -30 weather.

How many people are willing to run for extended periods without cabin heat like you do in a $50K+ car? I know I won't.

Why did you not use the heater? Don't the windows fog up instantly at -30?

Reactions: coleAK
How many people are willing to run for extended periods without cabin heat like you do in a $50K+ car? I know I won't.
The seat heaters are great, so I'm often happy with the heater off in our winter temperatures, but we're not usually too far below freezing.

-30 (F or C) though? I don't think I've ever experienced that level of cold! I'm sure it builds character...