Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 LR AWD tires in Washington all season ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys so I’m looking to buy the M3 AWD LR and it comes with 19” sport tires option. Are they all season? Or is there an option for that for someone living in WA or similar climates?
Is there some specific reason you want to go with 19" wheels? They are an extra charge, decrease range, and may give a slightly worse ride.

The Tesla Model 3 Wheel Guide

The Continental ProContact RX tire they come with (unless you ALSO buy a winter tire/wheel package) is an all season tire.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is there some specific reason you want to go with 19" wheels? They are an extra charge, decrease range, and may give a slightly worse ride.

The Tesla Model 3 Wheel Guide

The Continental ProContact RX tire they come with (unless you ALSO buy a winter tire/wheel package) is an all season tire.
Hi. Haven’t thought about that. Seemed like more traction but you are saying the smaller option is also all wheel ? Any upside to the larger tires then ?

Upvote 0
Hi. Haven’t thought about that. Seemed like more traction but you are saying the smaller option is also all wheel ? Any upside to the larger tires then ?

The only tesla model 3 that doesnt come with all season tires is the model 3 performance... and I have seen reports that even on that model in some places it has been being delivered with pilot sport all seasons instead of pilot sport summer tires.

If you are not buying a performance model 3, you are getting all season tires on it from tesla.

Upvote 0
The only tesla model 3 that doesnt come with all season tires is the model 3 performance... and I have seen reports that even on that model in some places it has been being delivered with pilot sport all seasons instead of pilot sport summer tires.

If you are not buying a performance model 3, you are getting all season tires on it from tesla.
Got it so what are the pros and cons of the larger tire. I hear range which isn’t a lot. And it costs a bit more.

Upvote 0
Got it so what are the pros and cons of the larger tire. I hear range which isn’t a lot. And it costs a bit more.

I believe the tires for the 19" wheel are slightly more expensive and the selection(variety) of tires is slightly worse. Some people believe the car looks better with the larger wheel. Handling would be slightly better because of the shorter sidewall.

Acceleration should be slightly worse with the larger wheel, as the moment of inertia increases because the aluminum of the rim is further from the center.

The 19" wheels are somewhat more likely to take damage due to potholes and such. Nowhere near the 20"s propensity to get damaged, though.

Upvote 0
The pros are just the looks and that’s in the eye of the beholder.

You’re not going to notice any performance benefit from +/- 5% on the aspect ratio of the sidewall.

If you want to change the original AS tires to something with more snow traction, you can consider the Vredestein Quatrac, Continental DWS or Michelin Cross Climate series of tires.

Upvote 0
19 inch might offer better "performance" traction and whatnot. I have AWS with 19 and i am not fan of the OEM tires. they do not last long enough and seem are prone to punctures, at least in my case. summer tires are better for warmer climates and rain, all season just like the name implies good for every day, any season.

Upvote 0

regret bumping older thread but i seem to get mixed responses on the M3P stock tires. Local store has a newish m3p and it has the pzero's as expected but the SA's have all stated that its summers only. Is it region limited to where you get these in AS's?

Upvote 0
regret bumping older thread but i seem to get mixed responses on the M3P stock tires. Local store has a newish m3p and it has the pzero's as expected but the SA's have all stated that its summers only. Is it region limited to where you get these in AS's?

I dont have personal experience, but from reading here It seemed to be. I live in southern california, and I dont remember reading anyone here saying they got All Seasons on any model 3 Performance. Its fairly common here in Southern California for people to ride around year round in performance type cars with summer tires though. I have done so myself for more than 15 years, since most summer tires are also pretty good in rain (not snow or cold < 40 degrees though).

It seems to me that if you live somewhere it snows, and are looking at a model 3 performance, you would need to plan to have a winter set of tires ready to go if you are buying during late fall / winter as I dont think there is any guarantee of what tire comes on the car.

Upvote 0