Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 LR Steering wheel feels funny

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I am on my second M3 (first was a 2019 M3P, swapped for a 2022 M3LR) and I noticed something I haven't experienced before (or I may not have noticed it).
When I turn the steering wheel it feels a little 'clicks' - like you're turning a cog, or think of the haptic touch sensation you get on your phones. It isn't smooth.

Is this normal?

I don't recall having this issue with my previous car, nor when i first got this car. It may have been evident but I have only noticed it over the past few days.
I have tried setting the steering wheel comfort into standard, sport and whatever the other one is (chill I think), but the sensation is still the same.

Any thoughts welcome as always :)

Doesn't sound normal to me and perhaps the first time I've ever heard of this sensation. The only thing that comes to mind is the clock spring - its a unit underneath the steering wheel and around the column which houses all the electrical connections that go to the steering wheel, inside it isn't a spring at all so no idea why its called a clock spring - Inside its like one of those old computer ribbons with 40 or so wires bound together to form a web like length Its job is to allow flexibility to pass electrical currents from a static position( fixed wiring) to another static position (connections on the steering wheel) via a part that has rotational movement (You turning the steering wheel)

Thanks both.

Init6 - just read through the thread (thanks for sharing). It does sound very familiar. Mine does drive straight but the turning motion is very 'notch'.

Took it to SC booking today and they advised it was normal, which flies against what other PCs have said for the others in that thread so I think I will be having a chat with them again at some point.

I may wait until the next software update to be sure.

yeah,
I experienced the same issue immediately after early February software update.
Took the car to Tesla service and they advised it is safe to drive and just wait for another update. There were two updates since and the issue is still not fixed.

Reactions: thax1
yeah,
I experienced the same issue immediately after early February software update.
Took the car to Tesla service and they advised it is safe to drive and just wait for another update. There were two updates since and the issue is still not fixed.
Fingers crossed. I would far rather a software fix than swapping out a whole steering rack. Software broke the steering feel, so hopefully can be the fix also.
The ‘single-chip / double-chip’ steering rack thing mentioned elsewhere will not be an issue for my vehicle- it’s never getting FSD (at least under my ownership!)

Reactions: Benotomy
Probably different revisions of the steering rack.

Attachments

• 3EB472CC-2D2A-447F-B18F-280A890513D5.jpeg
    3EB472CC-2D2A-447F-B18F-280A890513D5.jpeg
    243.8 KB · Views: 252
Fingers crossed. I would far rather a software fix than swapping out a whole steering rack. Software broke the steering feel, so hopefully can be the fix also.
The ‘single-chip / double-chip’ steering rack thing mentioned elsewhere will not be an issue for my vehicle- it’s never getting FSD (at least under my ownership!)
I agree with your comments. One issue I find hard to accept is that they promoted the vehicles as future proof in terms of hardware related to FSD-if the chip business is as we understand, then clearly we are short changed and they misrepresented the specs / future capability. The resale value of the car is another point depending on how it is financed.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: CWT3LR and SHT54
I agree with your comments. One issue I find hard to accept is that they promoted the vehicles as future proof in terms of hardware related to FSD-if the chip business is as we understand, then clearly we are short changed and they misrepresented the specs / future capability. The resale value of the car is another point depending on how it is financed.

Absolutely.
First, they cripple the car (No SAE ADAS level 3 ever). Then the car develops issues after the update. It must not have been tested sufficiently before the release.

And I agree. A promise that ("next year") your car will become autonomous and a robotaxi (will be making money for you) is also a huge selling point.
Personally, I cannot see how FSD would be possible with 1.2MPix cameras.

Last edited:
Reactions: Benotomy and CWT3LR
Thanks both.

Init6 - just read through the thread (thanks for sharing). It does sound very familiar. Mine does drive straight but the turning motion is very 'notch'.

Took it to SC booking today and they advised it was normal, which flies against what other PCs have said for the others in that thread so I think I will be having a chat with them again at some point.

If steering isn't smooth it isn't normal.
When we say our car can't drive straight it's because we can't steer the wheel exactly like we wish because of the "notchs", not that it's swaying itself.

And the other half of the pixels are obscured by sun, rain, spray, fog, dirt, icicles, *sugar*, etc etc
The side cameras situation scares me (B-pillars). When you cross the junction, the car makes a life/death decision to move forward based on inputs from that camera. I am not even sure if it is angled properly.
There should be at least two of them IMO for autonomy to safely function (redundancy reasons). Maybe also two different locations in case one is obstructed by some obstacles like posts, other traffic, spray, glare, etc. Side collisions (T-bones) can be really dangerous.

Thanks both.

2023.6.8 has fixed this for me on my MYLR. Have you gotten this update yet?

• Informative
Reactions: MrT3