Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Range Loss Date and Mileage Trend

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I talked to a mobile tech this am about the range loss after recent updates, that I was now at 295 miles fully charged. He said that Tesla had reduced full soc to protect battery longevity, but may raise it some due to customer complaints.
He was at our home to replace our steering control module due to a loose right stalk.

had reduced full soc to protect battery longevity, but may raise it some due to customer complaints.

I could certainly see why Tesla would do this for safety (I've heard it claimed that it might be related to the Model S fire in China) in the short-term, regardless of the rules, but eventually I imagine they would get into trouble with the EPA. As I understand it, they are not allowed to reduce the total energy available that was measured in the EPA test procedure. The customer must have access to that energy (it's done in a vehicle with 4k miles on it). Obviously there is degradation, so I assume the EPA allows for some of that but I don't know how the rules are written.

Maybe it only has to have the full energy available when it rolls off the lot...and a later software update could technically reduce it with no legal impact (I imagine that interpretation would be litigated though) as it would be indistinguishable from degradation. But if they are delivering cars with 2019.24.4 then that blows that theory in any case.

Also, my extrapolated range appears to have recovered to my baseline (~307-309 mi) after installing 2019.28.3.1. But I concurrently swapped back to my 20" wheels from 18", so I can't rule out that they make slight corrections due to slight differences in wheel diameter affecting the cruising efficiency - though I wouldn't have expected a 2% change. (Has anyone made such a swap without a software update and noticed any change?)

I'm at 6700 miles.

Last edited:
I talked to a mobile tech this am about the range loss after recent updates, that I was now at 295 miles fully charged. He said that Tesla had reduced full soc to protect battery longevity, but may raise it some due to customer complaints.
He was at our home to replace our steering control module due to a loose right stalk.
But why don't all Model 3 vehicles show the same drop? I'm on the latest version 28.3.1, and I was on 24.4, and I'm showing a tight cluster of range dots on Stats, between 307.5 and 311.5 miles. I posted my chart, a few posts back. No evidence of range drop at all.

I could certainly see why Tesla would do this for safety (I've heard it claimed that it might be related to the Model S fire in China) in the short-term, regardless of the rules, but eventually I imagine they would get into trouble with the EPA. As I understand it, they are not allowed to reduce the total energy available that was measured in the EPA test procedure. The customer must have access to that energy (it's done in a vehicle with 4k miles on it). Obviously there is degradation, so I assume the EPA allows for some of that but I don't know how the rules are written.

Maybe it only has to have the full energy available when it rolls off the lot...and a later software update could technically reduce it with no legal impact (I imagine that interpretation would be litigated though) as it would be indistinguishable from degradation. But if they are delivering cars with 2019.24.4 then that blows that theory in any case.

Also, my extrapolated range appears to have recovered to my baseline (~307-309 mi) after installing 2019.28.3.1. But I concurrently swapped back to my 20" wheels from 18", so I can't rule out that they make slight corrections due to slight differences in wheel diameter affecting the cruising efficiency - though I wouldn't have expected a 2% change. (Has anyone made such a swap without a software update and noticed any change?)

I'm at 6700 miles.
The 20” inch wheels are much stickier than the 18” assuming you have the factory rubber. Sticky tires=crappy range.

Sticky tires=crappy range.

But that should not be reflected in the rated range AFAIK because it does not take into account driving habits or tire composition. I was only suggesting factors that would affect the rated range (and honestly I believe the wheel change is neither here nor there - because it doesn't affect the amount of energy available, which is what is on the display). There is a small possibility Tesla might change the Wh/rmi constant depending on vehicle configuration (which would not change the energy available but would change the displayed rated miles), is all I was saying. I don't think there is any evidence of that though. I just wish I hadn't updated the software (I actually meant to wait for a few days after swapping wheels, for this specific reason, but I forgot).

FWIW the Crossclimate+ tires actually didn't get significantly better efficiency than the PS4S, in the end. That's a topic for a separate post though.

Last edited:
While not the same car FYI there has been extensive checking and testing on Model S that also got a reduction with recent update:

Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software
I have read that entire thread. Those vehicles are mostly older ones where the BMS was tweaked to take into account battery degradation that wasn’t initially recognized and programmed for. At least that’s my take on the situation. As far as the Model 3 goes, nobody has posted anything in the thread with any sort of proof that Tesla is reducing the maximum allowed cell voltage via a software update. Frankly I don’t care if they do if that is what they feel will keep our batteries healthy. My battery is rarely charged to 100%.

I logged on today for this specific issue. I've also started to notice loss of range over the last month. I've only had the car for 2 months and couldn't believe there would be degradation already! I have a SR+ so my top range is supposed to be 240. My software just updated to version 28.3.1 a couple days ago.

I usually only charge up to 80%, but I charged up fully for a road trip on 7/29 and it gave me 240. I charged up fully for another road trip on 8/17 and it only gave me 235 miles. Since then I think it's lost a couple more. For that second road trip, I did need to use a supercharger. Had never used one before so I wondered if it had something to do with using a supercharger. Either way, I'm ticked! I've only had this car for 2 months. It only has 2,499 miles on it! And if this is due to them cutting back what we can access that pisses me off even more! I paid for a car with a battery that would give me 240 miles when I needed it. I knew over time (like years) it would eventually degrade, but not in 2 months!

I have read that entire thread. Those vehicles are mostly older ones where the BMS was tweaked to take into account battery degradation that wasn’t initially recognized and programmed for. At least that’s my take on the situation. As far as the Model 3 goes, nobody has posted anything in the thread with any sort of proof that Tesla is reducing the maximum allowed cell voltage via a software update. Frankly I don’t care if they do if that is what they feel will keep our batteries healthy. My battery is rarely charged to 100%.

On the contrary, just a few messages above you @jasdelta — a Model 3 owner — is reporting exactly the same reason being told by a Tesla tech:

In watching the threads on range loss, I'm recognizing a trend in the shape of several member's battery degradation curves.
It appears that many of ushave seen the same significant drop at nearly the same time.

In my case, according to Teslafi, I lost 8 miles of range between 8/1/19 and 8/3/19 with 16K miles on version 2019.24.4.
Stats confirms this report but not in the same detail.

Has anyone with this sudden range loss had this occur at similar dates or mileage?

View attachment 442015

View attachment 442024

View attachment 442025
I've had my LR RWD Model 3, version 2019.28.3.7 for 3 months as of yesterday. I turned 3,000 miles yesterday also. Until this week, a 90% charge has always been 293 miles. But this week it went to 289 & 286. I've had 2 updates this week also. Is this reduction from those?

LOL. The techs know about as much as we do when it comes to software. Show some proof. It doesn’t matter anyway. Managing HV vehicle batteries appears to be a series of ongoing adjustments.

If it was just the tech’s word that would be one thing but the graph from another poster supports the theory as well:

screen-shot-2019-08-15-at-6-59-37-am-png.442015

Very similar to the Model S effect.

At least it seems possible there is something there.

I have watched my max range go up and down 10 miles of the last year. I’m currently up. I find all this hoopla about a “loss” of 10 or 15 miles in a car that is subject to an evolving BMS and environmental factors ridiculous. There are way too many people that view an EV like an ICE when it comes to range. I am not one of them.

Reactions: willow_hiller
I have watched my max range go up and down 10 miles of the last year. I’m currently up. I find all this hoopla about a “loss” of 10 or 15 miles in a car that is subject to an evolving BMS and environmental factors ridiculous. There are way too many people that view an EV like an ICE when it comes to range. I am not one of them.

The difference here is now there is a timely event of Tesla applying significant retroactive limits to some batteries. Keeping an open mind about where that might apply seems prudent. The tech said it applies here, the graph vs. software updates is similar to Model S, so there might be something there.

The difference here is now there is a timely event of Tesla applying significant retroactive limits to some batteries. Keeping an open mind about where that might apply seems prudent. The tech said it applies here, the graph vs. software updates is similar to Model S, so there might be something there.
And if there is, so what? They are adjusting the BMS all the time as they learn how to better protect the battery. Tesla is allowed to do this and implement fixes.

Last edited:
And if there is, so what? They are adjusting the BMS all the time as they learn how to better protect the battery.

Understanding the reason would seem relevant to the purpose of this thread and @AugieHess ’s question:

Has anyone with this sudden range loss had this occur at similar dates or mileage?

I assume we are trying to find out the reason. The recent BMS changes made by Tesla seem possibly related.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life