Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Standard 220 range 172 mile commute

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up the car. Looks great. Have 7 days to play and return if we decide to upgrade. So we paid for the standard/basic 35K with 220 mile range BUT they gave us the S+ with 240miles of range. So far so good. Learning to keep an eye on Wh/ml and have been able to keep that below 230 average. Wife loved the car so she talked me into driving her car to work today. Figures.

That 240 miles may be software locked to 220 in the near future. If Tesla doesn't, they're going to have a lot of angry SR+ purchasers.

Any update on how it handles your commute?

That's either impossibly low or impossibly high, depending on how you interpret it. 1.25 CENTS per kwh would be basically free,1/10th the average of Miami residential rates. $1.25 per kwh would be three times the highest rate in the US. Its also ten times the average cost in Miami(10.4c/kwh).

My bad :D, I meant 8.9 cents ($0.089) per kW while after taxes/fees is around 12.5/13.5 cents ($0.130) per kW.

Hmmmm SoCal Edison here in Ventura county is .13/kWh after 9pm

TOU Prime (which you can only get if you have an EV... but we are on an EV site so..) is 13 cents after 9pm and before 4pm, and 38 cents from 4pm to 9pm on weekdays. and 27 cents from 4-9 on weekends. It also has a "daily basic charge" of .40 cents.

If you have a grandfathered solar plan (even leased) its likely the plan you have is better than this one, especially because I believe it changes the price you sell electricity back to SCE.

I do a 180-220 mile commute (depending on routing, traffic and extra stops) and my worst (30's F temperature) nor cal day I I have rolled into the garage with about 10% remaining after starting at 90%. I don't baby it either. I put the pedal down at lights and cruise 76-78 down the freeway. 80% of my battery is about 240 miles. If I were the OP I would find a 110v plug to charge at during the work day. That 20-25 miles would really help with the range anxiety on the way home. Or find a lunch spot next to a 240 or coffee shop next to a supercharger. We aren't dealing with a cool weather place here and once he figures out how to add 20-40 miles to the car somewhere it will be cake. If he has nowhere else to charge enroute he should charge to 100% everyday he knows he is going to do the long drive. When I have to drive extra far I charge to 90% then when I wake up I set it for 100% to limit the time at 100%.
Wait, he only needs to go 172 miles! This will be easy.
Software limited to 220 he needs to finish his day at around 80% efficiency. That is going to be really easy to do. Especially in a warm climate and a RWD aero rim version of the car.

Last edited:
southern california edisonrates are pretty horrible, especially if you are not on a grandfathered plan. I am in SCE territory but have a Solar City (tesla) leased solar system that I had put in, in 2015 so I am grandfathered into MUCH better rates than they have right now.

Here are some screenshots from SCEs rate pages for TOU 4-9pm, TOU 5-8pm, TOU "prime" (EV / electric heating only) and tiered rates (traditional style rate based on overall usage).

EDIT -- Having some issues uploading photos.

In any case. even on TOU plans unless you ae grandfathered into a plan, it ranges from 19c to 23c off peak to 41c to 48c on peak... to 13c on the specific EV plan... but "off peak" is now 8am to 4pm.

Do you also happen to have a power wall?

Do you also happen to have a power wall?

No I dont. Have thought about it several times but the plan I am currently under lets me use SCE basically like a big powerwall itself. If I could actually get a powerwall (2 actually) without months long wait, I would probably have them anyway. I like the idea, and not too long ago someone ran into a electrical box on a street near my house and dragged a bunch of cable out, taking power out for my entire neighborhood for about 2 days.

Doesnt sound like much (roughly 48 or so hours), but this was early january, it gets to mid to high 30s during the night here in temecula then, and obviously no heat, etc. 48 hours felt like 2 weeks. We lost all the food in our fridge, and some things in the freezer that partially defrosted. It took a while for SCE to fix the line because the car had drug up cable when it crashed so they had to re fish lines and such.

Anyway, at that point I was like "I need a couple of powerwalls", and if I had been able to buy them then (and not wait months) I would have.

50%? No way.

I pay 0.12/kWh to charge my car overnight with PGE and drive 2500 miles a month at 315 wh/mi. That’s about $100.

The same 2500 miles in a 30mpg car at $4/gal is $333.

Agree. Not only that, but how many people have cars that actually get 30 mpg? My E coupe 400 (AWD) is rate 19/26 mpg. First of all, to really compare with Tesla I take the 26 mpg rating - the equivalent of the 310 miles rated range I have on the P3D-. I get that 26 mpg on highway once in a blue moon - certainly less often than I get the 310 miles out of the Tesla. Anything in the city, the comparison stops altogether. The Tesla is actually pretty efficient if you drive reasonably - and it is not winter. So I guess the savings may be even larger.

TO the OP: we traded in our LR M3 for the P3D - it was a gorgeous car, perfect in every way - except for the dual motor we needed in MN winters. I suspect many others have made the switch once AWD appeared. If you cannot afford the new LR, look at second hand market - the car is fabulous, and actual range was larger than rated.

As for buying a used model S, that also fits the initial budget, but will leave you with substantially higher costs should anything go wrong (let alone higher insurance premium). I remember many years ago a friend buying a great shape 12 yo Merc for something like $5000 (old couple, nearly no miles on it). It was perfect until somebody hit and run leaving him with a broken headlamp. That was $1000 for the part..... Lesson learned the hard way - expensive cars remain expensive throughout their live span.

EDIT. I can see you got your SR - congratulations! By all means, do the commute trip within the 7 days you have for return and see how it plays out. Also add 15-20% used rated miles for rain / colder weather (you will be amazed how different consumption is at 40F / 60F / 80F - the latter is actually the best in my experience). If you like it enjoy. If not, you can still change your mind. Or your wife can swap cars with you - mine sure did ;)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Picked up the car. Looks great. Have 7 days to play and return if we decide to upgrade. So we paid for the standard/basic 35K with 220 mile range BUT they gave us the S+ with 240miles of range. So far so good. Learning to keep an eye on Wh/ml and have been able to keep that below 230 average. Wife loved the car so she talked me into driving her car to work today. Figures.

Your 7 days are coming up fast - your thoughts?

Reactions: Richt
Agree. Not only that, but how many people have cars that actually get 30 mpg?
o_O That's hilarious and says a lot about the types of cars you buy. It's only in the absolute worst times of the winter that I can get our gas car below 40 mpg. (2005 Honda Civic Hybrid) You do need to keep in mind that there are a lot of hybrid car drivers who have been waiting a really long time for a fully electric car with decent range to become affordable.

Reactions: Rottenapplr
Your 7 days are coming up fast - your thoughts?

7 days tomorrow already. I think I drove it twice this week. Wife took over and the car has become her baby. I guess we're keeping it since she installed Tints. We found manufacturing problems with the paint a few days ago and have setup a service appointment tomorrow, the 7th day. The paint problem is along the bottom half of the driver door and driver side passenger door. Looks like paint dripped a little at the factory and someone decided to buff the *sugar* out of it to correct the mistake. Paint is quite thin in these spots so back it goes tomorrow where we will decide to keep the basic standard no frills plain black car or possibly upgrade to one with a few more options and maybe no paint problems.

7 days tomorrow already. I think I drove it twice this week. Wife took over and the car has become her baby. I guess we're keeping it since she installed Tints. We found manufacturing problems with the paint a few days ago and have setup a service appointment tomorrow, the 7th day. The paint problem is along the bottom half of the driver door and driver side passenger door. Looks like paint dripped a little at the factory and someone decided to buff the *sugar* out of it to correct the mistake. Paint is quite thin in these spots so back it goes tomorrow where we will decide to keep the basic standard no frills plain black car or possibly upgrade to one with a few more options and maybe no paint problems.

Good luck.

Reactions: mswlogo
o_O That's hilarious and says a lot about the types of cars you buy. It's only in the absolute worst times of the winter that I can get our gas car below 40 mpg. (2005 Honda Civic Hybrid) You do need to keep in mind that there are a lot of hybrid car drivers who have been waiting a really long time for a fully electric car with decent range to become affordable.

Of course it is hilarious - if I were not crying now. I am glad that you are among the minority who opted for an alternative fuel car. I could not find data for 2018, but a whopping 2.15 % car sales were reported by the Department of Energy as alternative fuel vehicles in 2017 (to be more precise 371k out of 17.25 million total; that includes plug-in hybrid, hybrid and hydrogen). If you add pure EVs there is another ~107k for 2017, making the grand total of 478k or 2.8%. 2018 will likely be better, but not by a large margin.

Last time I drove (that is yesterday), the majority of cars around me were SUVs or trucks. So let me ask this one more time: how many people have cars that actually get 30 mpg? My statement says nothing about the types of cars I buy - sadly it says a lot about the types of cars over 90% people buy in this country.

Last edited:
This whole return in 7 days is gonna bite Tesla. To many folks are “trying” the SR and thinking they can just swap it for LR if they don’t like it. And so many people realize how great the car is and why they didn’t buy the best flavor of it, even if the original SR met their initial needs.

Bet you within a year the 7 day thing will be gone. Or perhaps limit it to higher end models. It would be a cost savings to the buyer and seller to not allow it on cheaper models.

Tesla can’t afford having a demo/used car on the added for a sale.

Of course it is hilarious - if I were not crying now. I am glad that you are among the minority who opted for an alternative fuel car.
Sigh. It does not have to be an alternative fuel vehicle to get over 30 mpg. There are plenty of cars like the Civic or Corolla or Ford Fiesta that are fairly common that get over 30 mpg. Obviously those are not as big sellers as the trucks and SUVs right now, but you don't need to make it sound like it's some unheard of phenomenon like trying to locate the Loch Ness Monster.

Just over a month now with the SR and all is fine. The 3 standard range works for my needs so far. Sometimes I'll stop for a few minutes of super charging on the way home, most days it's not needed. Typically arrive home with 16 to 18 % battery left so it's not as bad as I originally thought. Cabin heat protection setting changed to fan only because it was draining the battery quite a bit.

Just over a month now with the SR and all is fine. The 3 standard range works for my needs so far. Sometimes I'll stop for a few minutes of super charging on the way home, most days it's not needed. Typically arrive home with 16 to 18 % battery left so it's not as bad as I originally thought. Cabin heat protection setting changed to fan only because it was draining the battery quite a bit.

Good to hear it’s working for you. Are you charging to 100% everyday?