Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3LR new battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I have a December delivery M3LR (collected 23rd) and I don't have the option to purchase Acceleration Boost. Now, this doesn't bother me at all, as I wasn't planning to purchase it anyway. But it did puzzle me.

A little reading finds people in the Australian forums discussing the same issue with some recent LR deliveries there, and people have apparently been told by Tesla that it's because AB isn't yet supported on the new battery packs in their vehicles.

So, it sounds like I have a new type of battery in my LR. Anyone know if this is likely to be the 82kWh pack? Or just a 75kWh pack from a different supplier? Also curious to know how many other December deliveries have it. (Guess it's hard to tell if you have a lease car, though.)

roy

Could this be because the car is leased?
No, my car is not leased, and I have access to the "buy upgrades" section, but it doesn't show acceleration boost and says I already own all available upgrades (I bought the car with FSD, for my sins). I also see the car in my account on the website, have access to "Add Driver", etc, so it seems like my account is set up correctly. As I say, some owners in Australia have apparently been told it's because of a new battery pack.

No, my car is not leased, and I have access to the "buy upgrades" section, but it doesn't show acceleration boost and says I already own all available upgrades (I bought the car with FSD, for my sins). I also see the car in my account on the website, have access to "Add Driver", etc, so it seems like my account is set up correctly. As I say, some owners in Australia have apparently been told it's because of a new battery pack.

Interesting to see the outcome of this. Have you already investigated any VIN code analysis that might indicate battery type?

Interesting to see the outcome of this. Have you already investigated any VIN code analysis that might indicate battery type?
Not sure if we will be able to tell from the VIN. Character 7 is an E, FWIW. That just seems to mean Li-ion, non-LFP. (My car definitely is not LFP - still has separate daily and trip settings for charge - but I think we know that no LR cars are LFP.)

Last edited:
Anyone know if this is likely to be the 82kWh pack? Or just a 75kWh pack from a different supplier?
It will be the new 79-82 kWh LG battery (BT43). Your V5 should state E5LD if it is the new battery, or E5CD with the older 75 kWh LG battery.

The VIN won't tell you this unfortunately.

There is one member who has confirmed this newer battery so it seems a batch of late Q4 vehicles have these.

What does it mean if the V5 shows E3LD?
It shows which variant of the vehicle model you have and that variant is the type of battery. See here:
Screenshot 2022-01-07 at 18.50.56.png

It shows which variant of the vehicle model you have and that variant is the type of battery. See here:
View attachment 753058
Ahh very helpful. Thanks.

Any benefits between either the Panasonic or LG batteries?

I just received my V5 and its a E5LD variant so I'm assuming that means I have the larger LG battery? I managed to confirm with Tesla that my car was the most latest variant but they said I would need to ring support to enquire about acceleration boost and could not explain why it wasn't available available on my software updates.

I didn't ask about the additional features for 2022 but can confirm I don't have double glazed rear windows or the new AMD Razen chip. Having checked my VIN I also have the dual motors with hairpin winding which I believe are the most efficient for the LR to date? Tesla confirmed that my car arrived in the UK on 12 December 2021 and made its way to Belfast for collection at the end of the month.

I purchased directly from Tesla and only placed my order on 16 November so managed to get matched to a car much quicker than I anticipated. The only thing I would say is this car is FAST. I was very impressed with the performance on the long rang during my test drive but this car feels even quicker than that and I'm going to say its doing 0-60 very close for 4 seconds.

Tesla have a very happy customer.

Reactions: spdpsba
I managed to confirm with Tesla that my car was the most latest variant but they said I would need to ring support to enquire about acceleration boost and could not explain why it wasn't available available on my software updates.
I'd imagine that acceleration boost will be available at some point - it is alleged that the M3P will now also use this battery (hence why it had a range decrease as its old battery was 82 kWh), so if it can supply the power for that it can certainly cope with AB.