Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3LR Range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We picked up our new ‘22 M3LR with the 19” sport wheels yesterday and it had about 30% left when we got in for the night. I charged it overnight to 90% and it showed this morning to be at 322 miles which means 100% would be about 357 or so. I thought the range for the LR with the sport wheels was 334 from Tesla? Could this be because it’s brand new and hasn’t had time to calibrate yet?

New it is 358 miles with 18" Aero Wheels and 334 Miles with the 19" Sport

Make sure that in the settings of the car the correct wheels are selected

Wheel Configuration​

If you are installing new wheels or swapping them for different ones, update your vehicle's wheel configuration by touching Controls > Service > Wheel Configuration. This allows Model 3 to learn the new wheels and provide more accurate status updates on your vehicle. Select a wheel from the drop down menu that matches the new wheels you plan to install on Model 3. Selecting new wheels in the wheel configuration also changes the wheels that appear on your vehicle's avatar on the touchscreen.

New it is 358 miles with 18" Aero Wheels and 334 Miles with the 19" Sport

Make sure that in the settings of the car the correct wheels are selected

Wheel Configuration​

If you are installing new wheels or swapping them for different ones, update your vehicle's wheel configuration by touching Controls > Service > Wheel Configuration. This allows Model 3 to learn the new wheels and provide more accurate status updates on your vehicle. Select a wheel from the drop down menu that matches the new wheels you plan to install on Model 3. Selecting new wheels in the wheel configuration also changes the wheels that appear on your vehicle's avatar on the touchscreen.

The car does have the 19" Sport wheels as the wheel config. I wasn't expecting more than the 334 even though that's all relative to other factors. It has been very hot here this week so I know that's not the expected range to get anyway.

thought the range for the LR with the sport wheels was 334 from Tesla?
Note that is an Est. Number, not an “EPA Est” Number. So, the displayed range I would NOT expect to adjust based on wheel selection (only the 2020 Performance does this to my knowledge because they did EPA tests of all three wheel sizes). They only did one EPA test of this vehicle so they will not adjust the displayed range if you change wheel selection.

What WILL adjust, as the manual says, is the trip planner expectations for your cruising efficiency. So you should select the wheels you have for best estimates of arrival charge.

Your range should show 358 miles at 100%, corresponding to a minimum of ~79kWh (for now - it will go down over time, settling around 315-325 in a couple years, and slowly reducing from there). As the range estimates from Tesla’s webpage suggest, due to your lack of aero covers and less efficient tires, you should expect a bit less range than if you were equipped with 18”. But rated range display will remain the same regardless of your wheel choice.

Please if anyone discovers otherwise do correct this - it is good to keep track. But I expect that this will prove correct.

Remember the range number displayed has little to do with range - it is a measure of available energy. The units change depending on the vehicle type. So even if it did change it makes no difference. 334rmi19 and 358rmi18 would be the same (if rmi19 existed, which they don’t). Both are 79kWh (or a bit more when the car is new due to expansion of the energy content of the rmi above that threshold). B25FFDB1-8EE7-4EA2-8105-BC60E4A7C424.jpegFEA9B356-65E6-4348-AE2A-214655562E9B.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectricNerd