Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P at VIR Grand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time on track with the Model 3 and what a blast. I had the best intentions to change brake fluid to DOT4, but I never got the time so the car was fully stock except for 18" Apex EC-7 with old Bridgestone RE-11 tires I pulled off my former Cayman.

Even though the tires were a little narrower in the front (235/40/18 F, 265/40/18 R), there was most certainly no understeer in track mode and it is really easy to get the car to rotate. Really easy. I only did two sessions as I needed to head back at lunchtime for a meeting, but I was very surprised with how the car felt much lighter than it really is.

I didn't want to push anything as I was worried about the stock brakes and fluid, so primarily just getting a feel for the car. I'm not sure there's a better way to spend a cool, fall morning than lapping around the Grand course.

Big thanks to @MasterC17 for putting up with my questions the weekend before!

Very nice! Glad to see more Model 3's being tracked on the east coat! Looks like the Grand course would actually be beneficial to the Model 3. Over ~110mph ICE cars with similar horsepower really start to pull away, so cutting the back straight short should be a big plus.

As you mentioned, the Model 3 handles its weight very well. The stock suspension is actually quite good. Did you experience any brake fade with the stock fluid and pads?

Hopefully VIR gets their Chademo fixed, looks like it is still broken (smh).

Did you experience any brake fade with the stock fluid and pads?

Hey, I didn't notice any fade, but I never threshold braked either. I let off the throttle a little early, let the regen slow the car a bit, then braked and rolled into the corners.

There was also a red Model 3 Perf there that day, so definitely good to get more cars on track. The chademo would have been great as I don't think I would have had much/any charge for the 4th session if I would have stayed all day. Security originally told me I couldn't plug in and had to use the Chademo, not knowing it was out of order.

On the suspension, it feels a little softer than I'm accustomed to but certainly seemed well sorted out. That wheel gap with the 18's though...

Hopefully VIR gets their Chademo fixed, looks like it is still broken (smh).

Whoa, how many stations do they have? Even with Superchargers nearby, i would LOVE to have Chademo at some of the CA tracks. I think getting ~50 kW would be plenty to keep you topped up in between sessions, but you'd want as many chargers as possible of course.

Even though the tires were a little narrower in the front (235/40/18 F, 265/40/18 R), there was most certainly no understeer in track mode and it is really easy to get the car to rotate. Really easy.

Oh yes, it loves to rotate. Be careful with lifting off the throttle and engaging regen at high speeds, the rear end will get light very quickly and i think that's the "worst" part of the car's track handling to be careful of.

Whoa, how many stations do they have? Even with Superchargers nearby, i would LOVE to have Chademo at some of the CA tracks. I think getting ~50 kW would be plenty to keep you topped up in between sessions, but you'd want as many chargers as possible of course.
Only one, unfortunately. There is also one CCS if we ever get an adapter. When I've used it I have been able to 90% charge between sessions. It was great.