Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P to Plaid - some thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 3P is much smaller and more tossable, the S is big and luxurious. Neither are a 911 on the track, but both are still fun. I prefer the smaller 3, my wife much prefers the luxury and refinement of our S. After having been a Porsche fanatic all my life, I must say, Porsche, there is now a substitute. Sold all my porsches except a purpose built track car and would not even consider one for the street. Both the 3P and the S are better than the 911 or Taycan for a lot less money.
Nice. I currently have a 718 Porsche Cayman GTS and never go to the track. I will most likely be selling it this year or next year and most likely either get a 3P or S long range. Since I don't like big cars I will probably get the 3P. I do mostly city driving so I think that might be best for me.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Nice. I currently have a 718 Porsche Cayman GTS and never go to the track. I will most likely be selling it this year or next year and most likely either get a 3P or S long range. Since I don't like big cars I will probably get the 3P. I do mostly city driving so I think that might be best for me.

I felt the same way. Don't think I could ever go back to a 3 unless it became miles better in terms of noise, ride, power etc. Despite not liking big cars!

I felt the same way. Don't think I could ever go back to a 3 unless it became miles better in terms of noise, ride, power etc. Despite not liking big cars!
I think the power is fine, but there are a lot of unacceptable things.

Build Quality needs to be better
Lack of True blind spot monitoring
Lack of 360 degree vision for Parking
Way too much road noise
Needs to have better ride quality.

A plaid only fixes a few things.

Reactions: TessP100D
I think the power is fine, but there are a lot of unacceptable things.

Build Quality needs to be better
Lack of True blind spot monitoring
Lack of 360 degree vision for Parking
Way too much road noise
Needs to have better ride quality.

A plaid only fixes a few things.

Build quality absolutely needs to be better. The parking situation should get better with an update or two. The road noise I find to be absolutely fantastic. I also find the ride quality to be exceptionally good.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I agree the road noise and ride quality are exceptionally good. ANC should make it eerie quiet.

the 3 is city car. The S is a highway car and in my opinion the best highway car available.

I wish it had the X soft close doors and the sunroof but both are minor complaints.

Yeah the S is too much in some ways for the city. Quick maneuvering is harder with the yoke for one thing. And then throw in the turn signal annoyances it’s…just not great.

That said, there are so many things I like about the car beyond this that I couldn’t go back to the “cheapness” (by comparison) of the 3. The suspension of the 3 is just not in the same league. For city driving the S is just a much more comfy ride… which is ironic since the 3 is better suited for the city…

The 718 GTS is a great car, I think the GT4 is the best car Porsche currently builds, but these cars really shine on the track. They are really fun on the street, but a bit underpowered to protect the 911 brand. If you like the GTS, I think you will really like the 3P. Despite the FUD, the 3 will be quieter, smoother, roomier and much faster than the GTS. The Porsche is a bit more tossable, but at street speeds the pull from the 3P especially on corner exit is unbeatable. I don't think there is a car made than can keep pace with the 3P going up a windy mountain road. The size and instant torque will leave all other cars behind. As the road straightens, the Plaid would take over as champ.

The 718 GTS is a great car, I think the GT4 is the best car Porsche currently builds, but these cars really shine on the track. They are really fun on the street, but a bit underpowered to protect the 911 brand. If you like the GTS, I think you will really like the 3P. Despite the FUD, the 3 will be quieter, smoother, roomier and much faster than the GTS. The Porsche is a bit more tossable, but at street speeds the pull from the 3P especially on corner exit is unbeatable. I don't think there is a car made than can keep pace with the 3P going up a windy mountain road. The size and instant torque will leave all other cars behind. As the road straightens, the Plaid would take over as champ.
Thanks. I would give a thumbs up, but I am not privileged yet.

I think a Plaid would murder a 3P in the twisties - I have to say. Coming from a 3P, the feel of that car was really excellent in the corners. But the proof is in the cornering pudding, and the Plaid is no slouch, despite feeling so much heavier. The brakes are the weakest link on the Plaid, though. Hopefully we see a track pack sometime soon...

I am really happy with my Plaid 19" vs my Model 3 Performance with 18" wheels. I have been getting 290wh/mile which is crazy good IMO. So far I love the car way more than when I got my Model 3, it looks great it feels good. I don't regret spending more than double than what I paid for my Model 3 so far.
Same deal here. Had a 3P with 18’s now a plaid with 19’s. Only thing I liked more about the 3p was it was even more minimal and less things to worry about but the plaid is better in just about every way.

Reactions: jbcarioca
The single thing I am most impressed about in the plaid is having less energy consumption with the Plaid! I am shocked to have ~290 Wh/mi or less on almost every trip. The 3P was always a bit above 300 Wh/mi. That is mind-boggling for me in another respect; I have not yet used a Supercharger for my Plaid, despite several trips of ~275 miles in all of which I have arrived with >20% battery remaining. Every time I have charged at restaurants, hotels or shopping centers. The practical range increase is really the reason. That is actually getting close to EPA range. Looking under the car the absence of any protrusions obviously reduces parasite drag, which combined with all the motor, BMS and accessory improvements makes much less energy penalty at highway speeds than the 3P.
Of course using all that incredible power would destroy that economy.

Next to that the Yoke is a pleasure now that I'm used to it. My list of plusses goes on with the sound system, all that space, quiet cabin and the giant screen filling out my list. The handling of the Plaid is a pleasant surprise because it is such an advance on older S, the Plaid is easy to park and great in tight turns, while that is a great surprise I don't really think that is feels better than the 3P.

The 3P smaller size was preferable for me, but that is really the only clear advantage it has for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
The single thing I am most impressed about in the plaid is having less energy consumption with the Plaid! I am shocked to have ~290 Wh/mi or less on almost every trip. The 3P was always a bit above 300 Wh/mi. That is mind-boggling for me in another respect; I have not yet used a Supercharger for my Plaid, despite several trips of ~275 miles in all of which I have arrived with >20% battery remaining. Every time I have charged at restaurants, hotels or shopping centers. The practical range increase is really the reason. That is actually getting close to EPA range. Looking under the car the absence of any protrusions obviously reduces parasite drag, which combined with all the motor, BMS and accessory improvements makes much less energy penalty at highway speeds than the 3P.
Of course using all that incredible power would destroy that economy.

Next to that the Yoke is a pleasure now that I'm used to it. My list of plusses goes on with the sound system, all that space, quiet cabin and the giant screen filling out my list. The handling of the Plaid is a pleasant surprise because it is such an advance on older S, the Plaid is easy to park and great in tight turns, while that is a great surprise I don't really think that is feels better than the 3P.

The 3P smaller size was preferable for me, but that is really the only clear advantage it has for me.
Agreed. While I really like yoke steering, I'm not a fan of the buttons. I have an Aroham yoke and stalks in the MYP; seems like the best setup.

Y1.jpg

I think a Plaid would murder a 3P in the twisties - I have to say. Coming from a 3P, the feel of that car was really excellent in the corners. But the proof is in the cornering pudding, and the Plaid is no slouch, despite feeling so much heavier. The brakes are the weakest link on the Plaid, though. Hopefully we see a track pack sometime soon...
Randy Pobst tore it up on the hill climb. Of course he had better shocks and sticky tires but the potential on the plaid looks marvelous.

Didn't the stock Plaid on the Nurburgring have a track mode? Maybe it will be on the way soon.

It's the classic BMW M3 vs M5 conversation - can big papa keep up with his smaller sibling?

• Helpful
Reactions: jbcarioca
The OP seemed to compare an older M3P to the plaid, which isn't fair to compare the interiors as the 2021 M3P is quite similar inside to the plaid (minus the obvious yolk and different screen setup). I had an order in for the plaid, then they stopped production so I got a M3P. It's an excellent car with better handling than the plaid (as already mentioned on the thread). I've been driving a plaid around for comparison recently. I like the extra space, hatchback and additional power, however, coming from a M3P I was underwhelmed by the street power of the plaid until I went into launch mode. Yes it's faster, but I only felt the brutal power when launching. Bottom line IMO, the plaid isn't worth twice the price unless money's no object (which let's be honest is true for many posters here) - both have plenty of power for the street. The M3P reminds me of a small euro sports sedan (like M3) whereas the plaid feels like an american muscle car. Can't go wrong either way! I may yet get a plaid in addition to the M3P, but as a "driver", I don't want to give up the handling of the M3P.

Small difference I noticed (which you all may have already solved) - M3P has a setting where I can shift power between the front and rear; I didn't see the same setting in the plaid...I may have missed it, but for the special drivetrain would have thought to see it there too.

Reactions: tm1v2
It's the classic BMW M3 vs M5 conversation - can big papa keep up with his smaller sibling?
It took a while for this to register.
I have had M3 and M5 in addition to the Teslas.
I completely agree with your assessment. I definitely preferred the BMW M3 to the bidder one because of daily driving convenience, mostly.
My Tesla experience is different, perhaps because the Yoke and sensors make the Plaid easier to maneuver than previous S.
Still Model X and Model S I have driven in very, very tight situations (old city Bargamo pedestrian area, for example, EV permitted but TIGHT.)
Eventually I'll probably end out going smaller again. I just could not resist the Plaid.

Best thing Tesla could do to the M3P isn't give it more power, it's give it a better suspension. Not air ride. But a proper set of either adaptive shocks or magnetic shocks. That, and some decent non-boat-anchor wheels.

Oh, and some seats you didn't slide out of turning into your driveway. The M3P is quick enough, but the suspension really holds it back, and sliding out of your seat all the time really saps confidence.

I recently contemplated rolling my 911 and my M3P into a Taycan since my commute shrunk from absurdly long to absurdly short. I drove a 4S and Turbo. All felt great. The 4S felt a little sluggish compared to my 3. Turbo was fast.

But when I got back in my 3, it was amazing how much more lithe and tossable it felt. You really feel the extra 1,000 lbs in the Taycan. Even with a much more sophisticated suspension (3 chamber air, rear steering) there's no cheating physics and the Taycan just feels HEAVY.

Is this how the refreshed S feels as well?

As for me, I decided to wait and get a few months of the new job and commute under my belt. I'm starting to feel that the commute is so short that I could be back in my GTi and it really wouldn't matter. Given the fact that the Performance is nearly paid for and my 911 is appreciating, not depreciating, at the moment, I'll likely just throw a set of MPP coilovers on the car and call it a day. But I will always be jealous of that trick new interior on the S...
Yes. Please make a model 3 like car that is all about the driving experience. Tight steering, active suspension, plaid like power, bolstered seats. 250 miles range. That would be a killer daily driver.