Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P VS BMW I4 M50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you get a deligvery time estimate? Last update I heard was M50s might be delivered Q1/2023 but a friend had already has his estimate pushed back once.

By the time that BMW is even delivered, you'd could have been driving a Model 3 for closing on two years already.
I was told if I was to order soon then it would be March/April 2022. That's UK delivery estimate by the dealership anyway.

Oh I also forgot to mention the range. How is the M3P on range compared to the WLTP?

The bmw stated 316 miles but the carwow video I watched recently he got an estimated 182

Very much an acquired taste isn't it 😂. I didn't like it at first but its grown on me over time.
If you haven’t watched Bjorn Nyland’s YouTube videos, you should. He does a variety of tests, including range tests, on various EVs in Norway, where he lives. His videos are fun and his info is great.

Here Is his video in which he does a range test on the M3P:

Reactions: Futur3EV
The BMW is *much* fancier. The wheels, the interior, all the jazzy bedazzling bits everywhere. It's way fancier.

But it's 1000 lbs heavier and inferior to the 3LR in every single performance metric so to compare it to the P is just nonsensical. Plus, you know how BMWs work, by the time you add all the basic features you want and pay the dealer markup on a short supply/high demand new model it'll be roughly double the cost of a 3LR.
Driving feel (ie cornering, steering) and braking are also a performance metrics. Are you saying the yet to be released I4 is worse than the 3LR? How do you know this again?

And to the original poster regarding range. Can’t speak to the bmw I4 but typically Tesla quoted EPA (can’t speak to WLTP) range is rather “optimistic” unless you are talking primarily city/ stop and go driving in normal (72F) weather. Cause if it’s hwy driving at normal hwy traffic speed (~75 mph in US) you will get nowhere near quoted EPA. Other OEM’s do a measurable better job here and many even understate range for some reason (eg Porche).

I am curious though as I like the IM4’s looks but I’m not familiar with BMW. Have heard too many repair horror stories with them

Lack of supercharging network access. But really for me it would be the body style/layout. The grille is atrocious, and I'm also dissappointed in the sense that it's a re-purposed 4 series chassis so you still have that annoying driveshaft/tunnel that takes up rear passenger legroom in the back. It doesn't feel/look like a "from the ground-up" committment/approach to EVs. I also question BMWs long-term ability for battery chemistry/reliability.

Reactions: Anothergeek
Highway at about 110 km/h I get roughly 400 km range in my M3P with the uberturbines. That's in the summer. Not sure in the winter yet since this will be the first one but I assume it'll be about 30% less.

We have a new X3 M40i and it will be the last BMW. Not only are they ugly now but the electronics are not very reliable. I would give the i4 a wide berth. Plus it's not built as an EV so it's not optimized at all to be an electric.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm sold on the tesla M3P now and I'm looking at placing an order soon. I'm going to go via a lease and I'm hoping it all works out. I was approved for some credit on another vehicle not long ago so I'm hoping this doesn't affect me too much. Would be devestating after all this if the lease didn't go through!

I think I'm going to go for red exterior with white interior. Fingers crossed!

Note that it's cheaper to buy than to lease, and there's no commitment whatsoever - unlike a lease which is one of the most permanent decisions you can make in life.
Can you explain how it would be cheaper to buy? I couldn't afford the cash straight upfront and if I chose to finance the car with a view to paying it off over a few years I would either need a substantially higher deposit or higher monthly costs? Is it cheaper due to the residual value of the tesla model 3?

Yes, obviously when you buy you're paying more monthly as you build equity whereas a lease payment is only covering interest and depreciation so in theory they end up costing the same but it's not that simple. The lease is almost always structured to cost more thru a higher effective interest rate plus all the inefficiencies of mileage targets and return adjustments.

Or to put it another way - Why would an automaker let you lease the car for less money? Why would they want to lend you a whole car in exchange for some measly monthly payments instead of having your bank pay them in full right away? Well, the reason is because they end up making more profit on a lease.

Driving feel (ie cornering, steering) and braking are also a performance metrics. Are you saying the yet to be released I4 is worse than the 3LR? How do you know this again?

And to the original poster regarding range. Can’t speak to the bmw I4 but typically Tesla quoted EPA (can’t speak to WLTP) range is rather “optimistic” unless you are talking primarily city/ stop and go driving in normal (72F) weather. Cause if it’s hwy driving at normal hwy traffic speed (~75 mph in US) you will get nowhere near quoted EPA. Other OEM’s do a measurable better job here and many even understate range for some reason (eg Porche).

I am curious though as I like the IM4’s looks but I’m not familiar with BMW. Have heard too many repair horror stories with them
WLTP and NEDC are worst than the EPA ratings. EPA has the most real world range.

WLTP and NEDC are worst than the EPA ratings. EPA has the most real world range.
Yes and no depending on vendor. WLTP does seem optimistic however EPA is basically useless for relative comparison as OEMs can arbitrarily pick a “correction” factor within a certain range thus you can’t compare EPA range across vehicles Unless you know the correction factor and normalize accordingly. There are also other discrepancies like allowing the OEM to pick what tire/wheel size for test vs what the car actually comes with. Have to read the fine print…

Net net. You can not do apples to apples with EPA unless you dive into the details. Better off looking for real world experience otherwise you will be “surprised” (sometime good but with some OEM’s not so good…)

Reactions: Jejunjm
If your plan is for short-ish term ownership, like 36 months, where you don't want to own the car outside of warranty - and the mileage isn't an issue, a lease can be a terrific option.

I've had quite a few vehicles, I've done outright cash, finance, lease and in the case of the latter two, I've done a decent amount of analysis on the equity vs. total cost for 36 month ownership, and it's almost always a wash - or, in the case of our last lease, $10K in pocket (I realize that may not be an option with Tesla).

However, with the lease, we had no concern over sudden depreciation (like the Model 3 getting a massive battery improvement in the next 24 months), no concern over "disposal", and again, in the short term, roughly equivalent TCO (and in some states, you only get taxed on the leased portion, which can be a notable offset).

Don't want to get into a whole debate about leasing, I've done the financial modeling, I understand the pros/cons, it can be a better option for some people, and I'll just leave it at that. :)

Reactions: Futur3EV and DBV1
I'm about to place my order today or tomorrow. I had my heart set in the performance but now the deals on the LR are so good. I could take an LR over 24 months with no deposit and save £40 per month. On the other hand I could put 5k down for the performance and pay the £40 extra per month over 48 months. It's tempting to save alot of money and the LR is clearly the better deal but am I going to regret not getting the performance which is what I've had my eye on for about a year now?
When I test drove them both, the performance was really fun and the LR was still fun but not as much as the performance.