Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P VS BMW I4 M50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is a very long hood...the frunk must be enormous...
Actually there isn't a frunk in i4...

I believe the original comment was sarcastic, on purpose.
There is no frunk in i4, but its presence in Mode 3 is of zero value to me. Literarily, I have NOT opened or used it since exploring the cavity on the day 1 or 2 of ownership, and giving up on it for lack of easy access.

Since opening Model 3 frunk requires fumbling for an app on a phone, doing that while coming back from a store with hands full of groceries (or anything else) is highly unattractive. I just throw everything in the proper trunk, which I can at least open with a handle. Or in the footwell behind the driver seat.

a

Munro's BMW i4 M50 First Impressions, confirming most of the observations that have been shared on this thread so far:

• Great build quality throughout
  • Higher quality interior materials and execution (vs. any Tesla)
  • Tight rear passenger space, especially if you are taller
  • Limitations from re-using regular platform for EV application
  • Questionable price point

The i4 is definitely not for me, but it will have its customers.
Hopefully, competition will drive improvements from Tesla in the future!

Last edited:
The front trunk is perfect for car cleaning and polishing supplies, window washer fluid and charge cables.

Arguably most important to put in there is a portable jump starter, since the frunk, but not the trunk or car interior is accessible if your 12v battery dies.

Anything else you can probably make a decent enough argument about putting in the sub-trunk or something- and mainly the fact the frunk hood is (relatively) easy to damage compared to the trunk is why I never use it for any "routine" stuff.

Its infuriating that the Model 3 frunk doesnt have a physical exterior button to open. Like maybe on the badge or something.

I use it on long trips because extra storage is extra storage, but never for everyday basis because of needing to fish out my phone.

There are a few i4 in the neighborhood and they look quite good and with very brand-appropriate level of presence. Theres also some of the iX SUV and those things are horrendous shoeboxes

Its infuriating that the Model 3 frunk doesnt have a physical exterior button to open. Like maybe on the badge or something.

I use it on long trips because extra storage is extra storage, but never for everyday basis because of needing to fish out my phone.

There are a few i4 in the neighborhood and they look quite good and with very brand-appropriate level of presence. Theres also some of the iX SUV and those things are horrendous shoeboxes
Most cars don't, not sure why it is such an inconvenience.

Here's one other thing you should consider: How far away from you is the nearest Tesla Service Center and the nearest Tesla Authorized collision Center?
Where I live, the nearest Tesla Service Center is 107 miles away and the nearest Tesla Authorized Collision Center is 74 miles away, but I live in a very rural area. I knew the answer to both questions prior to ordering my 2020 M3LR. So far I've had to go to the service center once to repair a piece of loose interior trim. For me it was a good excuse for a long drive and the repair was done in less than 30 minutes, under warranty. Even if a BMW dear was down the block, I wouldn't buy one of those ugly cars.
Why didn’t Mobile Service come to you?

Should have been a no-brainer.

Insist on Mobile Service next time. It’s fabulous.

I haven’t even been to my Service Center at all. In three years.

It’s about 70 miles away, in Denver, and was no factor whatsoever in deciding to buy the car.

I have AWD LR for 3 years and love it. I drove my friends Performance model 3 for a little bit. Its the same but faster taking off. Maybe a ride a bit harsher as it has 20 inch wheels vs 19, he had not issues with bent rims but he lives in nice posh place where roads are maintained. Tesla does offer boost or whatever its called to lower 0-60 of AWS LR Model 3 to be closer to Performance.

Also keep in mind, you are asking here about BWM performance (rival) to Tesla model 3 performance, what kind of answer do you expect? Have you posted similar question on BWM forums? If you can and want to afford higher $ and want more speed (no other interior differences), sure. Check insurance in your neck of the woods, now it might be more expensive to insure performance vs others model 3 due to VIN being unique
More speed?

The M3P does 162 mph.

Or did I misunderstand your comment?

Looks like the cars are very close in acceleration, that's pretty much what I expected from BMW's published specs. (No Mach-E GT PE style disappointment, yay! ;))

Just a guess: the i4 M50 might have slightly taller drive ratios than the M3P. Seems like a reasonable tradeoff, especially for a German car where I assume fast autobahn driving is a selling point.

If Tesla had offered slightly taller drive ratios on the M3P to trade a little 0-60 for some top end, I probably would've checked that option (at least if no cost change). We all know Tesla loves their 0-60 numbers though. :) Glad to see the i4 M50 is shaping up to be a legit M3P competitor and street performance EV. It might not be raising the performance bar overall, but it's clearly playing on the same field, and presumably with more cruising refinement for those who want that - at the cost of an extra 1000 lbs and some extra $$$ of course. (I'm actually really happy with my 2021 M3P's refinement, Tesla has made big strides in that regard since the early Model 3, but I can only assume the BMW's extra 1000 lbs are from it having, well, modern BMW level refinement.)

Now I'm wondering how the i4 M50 power will hold up with continuous hard driving, lower SoC levels, etc. And just as importantly...how does it feel to drive? Can it compete with the M3P on feeling nimble and tossable and fun around turns despite the extra weight? I'm hopeful, though the last 3-series I drove was a complete disappointment in that regard (F30) compared to older ones I've driven (E90, E46, E36).
Well yeah, those are three of the four best-ever 3-Series generations!

(Add in the e30).

Reactions: tm1v2
To me BMW is like Bose stereos to audio. Crap tonnes of marketing, looks pretty, huge sales but to an audiophile…lags behind. Most number of used cars on the market of off lease vehicles. No one wants to buy one out of warranty. That should be a flag right there.

Add the fact that they purposefully went to a massive (non aesthetically pleasing) grill as a statement against Tesla and no grill EV movement…shows me of their dinosaur level thinking.

I’ve owned e39, e60, e70 X5 4.8i, F10…so I know a thing or 2 about Bimmer ownership lol.
Ever since moving to Tesla in 2016, it’s been a sheer joy for me and the family. The cars are now 98% on the road…not in the shop. My experience could be just one 🤷🏽‍♂️
You should have kept the e39!

I’m planning on being buried in mine. The finest modern BMW ever made.

@SK360 I assume they had/let you drive with their least-invasive-nannies mode ("DSC off" or whatever the BMW name for that is). With that did you feel any issues with the nannies? Like traction control holding back power coming out of turns, or stability control grabbing brakes in turns?

How were the seats compared to Model 3 seats?

That reddish paint looks awesome... 🤤

To be honest I'm already pretty sure "nice car but not for me" is how I'll feel about the i4 M50 too, compared to my M3P, but it's still an intriguing car to me. If the M3P didn't exist, and the i4 had been out just half a year sooner, we'd probably have had a real dilemma deciding between Polestar 2 Performance vs i4 M50 vs Palladium MSLR in our car shopping last fall.

They wouldn't let us turn DSC off. The instructors kept making us use regen to setup for corners "see you don't even need brakes!". Traction control was certainly stopping me from rotating the car with throttle.

Seats felt good, I don't find the Model 3 seats to be very comfortable on long trips. I certainly had to adjust the seats a good bit to find a comfortable position for my head as I'm 6'2" with a tall torso, not sure I would be able to wear a helmet in the car.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Does BMW Motorsport ("M") not mean what it used to mean?

Clearly the hefty i4 M50 seems to have other priorities than being a track weapon or even a true back road scalpel I suspect. Like being a smooth, refined GT with good highway/Autobahn power. That's fine! But is this what all M cars have become now? Or are they just diluting the M brand for their EVs?

I haven't driven a BMW since the severely disappointing F30. I haven't driven any M car's newer than the E90/E92 though, and that generation was still a driver's car in my book!
If has an M, followed by one digit, it’s real.

The Motorsport Division only designs the real M-Series cars. And they are only cars.

You are correct about the e90/92. The last of the analog ones.

414 hp V-8.

The only V-8 ever put in an M3.

The rest are marketing BS.

Reactions: Kvitravn
I was just at an autox Sunday with the BMW CCA and had the chance to see a Plaid, Model 3P, as well as a a few Corvettes, M cars, and even a Ford F150 GT 150...
The Model 3 was probably stock and wallowed around like a drunken cow. I actually heard front sheet metal scrape on a hard technical section. The Plaid was simply too much vehicle for a 2nd gear course and M2 cars were the fastest lap times of the day with the exception of an M5 - driven by one of the Performance center instructors.
I'm sure someone will argue that actual lap times aren't relevant.
Bullshit. Sheetmetal scraping on the ground? Not even possible, friend.

Makes all of your comments suspect.