Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P VS BMW I4 M50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Coming from an M340i, and having driven the I4 M50, both are noticeably quieter inside than my recently purchased M3P at speed. I’ve been looking online for any way to reduce the inside noise, and the recommendations overall seem mixed. Door seals seem to help, but marginally (although it’s also not that expensive or time consuming). Installing Dynamat inside the doors and trunks seems more expensive and time consuming, but no one seems to believe it offers meaningful improvements. Is the road/wind noise something you just have to learn to live with?

Coming from an M340i, and having driven the I4 M50, both are noticeably quieter inside than my recently purchased M3P at speed. I’ve been looking online for any way to reduce the inside noise, and the recommendations overall seem mixed. Door seals seem to help, but marginally (although it’s also not that expensive or time consuming). Installing Dynamat inside the doors and trunks seems more expensive and time consuming, but no one seems to believe it offers meaningful improvements. Is the road/wind noise something you just have to learn to live with?

Yes. The other option is just order the I4 M50 and sell the M3P when it comes in. You'll probably break even with the M3P given the current market.

There was a thread on here recently where someone installed an aluminum skid plate (with a foam lining) to protect the battery....and I’m sure he said it was a quieter ride

Coming from an M340i, and having driven the I4 M50, both are noticeably quieter inside than my recently purchased M3P at speed.

That's been my experience as well.

Is the road/wind noise something you just have to learn to live with?

Pretty much.
There is no escaping an uninsulated glass roof with a giant transverse seam running across it.

The newer Model 3's are slightly better insulated. But if you've got a new one, it's as good as it gets.

a

the car has too much glass and frameless doors. you cant do anything about that.

That's been my experience as well.

Pretty much.
There is no escaping an uninsulated glass roof with a giant transverse seam running across it.

The newer Model 3's are slightly better insulated. But if you've got a new one, it's as good as it gets.

a
I went from a 2018 to a 2022 and it is massively quieter. And I also upgraded to Performance with the 20s and its still a huge difference in wind noise and road noise.

I went from a 2018 to a 2022 and it is massively quieter. And I also upgraded to Performance with the 20s and its still a huge difference in wind noise and road noise.

My new 2022 Performance is definitely quieter than my 2018 Performance, both with 20" tires, though Pirellis on the 2022 vs. Michelins on the 2018. There's less road noise and the wind noise is also reduced. It's a nice upgrade.

@SK360 Well...how was it? :)
Well built, lots of buttons, confusing infotainment/dash display. Heavier than a model s and slower than a model 3, felt heavy around the “autocross” they had setup. Nice car but not for me. Test drove an iX as well, nice SUV but not for 100k

2BDAB171-6D56-4E87-A95C-1511B61227F8.jpeg

Well built, lots of buttons, confusing infotainment/dash display. Heavier than a model s and slower than a model 3, felt heavy around the “autocross” they had setup. Nice car but not for me. Test drove an iX as well, nice SUV but not for 100k

View attachment 829257
@SK360 I assume they had/let you drive with their least-invasive-nannies mode ("DSC off" or whatever the BMW name for that is). With that did you feel any issues with the nannies? Like traction control holding back power coming out of turns, or stability control grabbing brakes in turns?

How were the seats compared to Model 3 seats?

That reddish paint looks awesome... 🤤

To be honest I'm already pretty sure "nice car but not for me" is how I'll feel about the i4 M50 too, compared to my M3P, but it's still an intriguing car to me. If the M3P didn't exist, and the i4 had been out just half a year sooner, we'd probably have had a real dilemma deciding between Polestar 2 Performance vs i4 M50 vs Palladium MSLR in our car shopping last fall.

Where is carwow consistently getting 12s? The majority of their M3P videos get 11.8s. That would have put it basically neck to neck with the i4 M50. The aerodynamic “improvements” on the car used for this video certainly didn’t help one bit.
There has been an increase in 1/4 mile times recorded and reported AFTER Tesla has switched from Michelin to Pirelli tires on M3P's.
That, certainly, doesn't do any favors to the more recent comparisons.

Tires are a BIG part of the performance equation.
What does i4 M50 roll on?

TireRack suggests that both 21" and 22" wheels are shod with BRIDGESTONE ALENZA 001
I am not familiar with them.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/tireTypeModal.jsp?subCat=SST

There has been an increase in 1/4 mile times recorded and reported AFTER Tesla has switched from Michelin to Pirelli tires on M3P's.
That, certainly, doesn't do any favors to the more recent comparisons.

Tires are a BIG part of the performance equation.
What does i4 M50 roll on?

TireRack suggests that both 21" and 22" wheels are shod with BRIDGESTONE ALENZA 001
I am not familiar with them.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/tireTypeModal.jsp?subCat=SST
Pirelli PZero for the BMW. We can’t really just compare tyres. It’s very hard to do this when it’s a manufacturer variant like Tesla T0. The compound, grip etc. can and almost certainly will be different. Getting those low 3s 0-60 times needs a really good tyre.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd