Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P vs MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@nate704 3P for driving fun, YP for hauling cargo and adult-sized people in the back. Since you two already have a Y, the choice for a second car seems easy to me, get the 3!

My wife and I faced a similar choice last year, shopping for a second car to go with our S P85. We both preferred a liftgate for the second car too, but after test drives the 3P was an easy choice over the Y. The 3 is fun to drive. The Y...not so much. Yes the Y feels closely related and almost as fast, but the 3's driving joy went missing in the transformation into a crossover. You're clearly aware of this talking about cornering dynamics. Do yourself a favor and get the 3, don't settle for the Y. :)

Ignore the possible tax rebate. It's a long way from passing, just like last year, it may never happen. Life is short. Get the car you want that you can afford, even if it might not qualify for a coupon that hasn't even been printed yet.

The proposed higher rebate price cap for SUVs is awful and the opposite of progressive, pushing car buyers into larger vehicles than they need. It's a blatant handout for the "big 3" Detroit area automakers, who have focused their production + profits on SUVs and want to continue that with EVs. Hopefully the SUV vs sedan price cap bulls*** gets fixed before this bill ever passes.

Btw I actually like the Y as a crossover. The packaging is great, it's plenty fast especially for a CUV, and it has all the standard Tesla EV goodness. The Y I test drove had issues but I could still recognize the basic goodness.

But if you don't need a crossover, and you care about driving fun...why the heck would you get a crossover?! (Yes somewhere a sports car aficionado is saying the same thing about sports sedans! 😄)

Reactions: nate704