Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP vs M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nate704

Apr 20, 2021
Virginia
I was planning on buying a M3P for my commute since we already have a MYP for my wife and family.
Since the congress is fighting to get the bill pass/not pass, it might not be a bad idea to buy another MYP if the congress passes the bill written as is.
MYP will be cheaper with the $7500 credit vs. M3P with no credit.
But, I want the faster acceleration and cornering dynamics of the M3P with better efficiency.
I still have several months to decide, but this tax credit thing messes up my head 😵‍💫

If you don't mind hedging for $250 just order a MYP now and wait a month or so then ask if you can have delivery postponed till January. They might make you cancel and reorder at whatever the new price is and you're out $250. Or they might say no problem and just not match you with a VIN until January. There's some confusion if it's tied to order date or delivery date, but previously it's always been delivery date and most of us think the new wording only gives the option to existing credit eligible orders (so not Tesla) to continue using the current credit even if they don't take delivery of the car until after the new year (because obviously they ordered under one specific set of terms for the credit).

I would go for the MYP. The 3 just seems a little too tight and small now. I get exactly what you mean about the extra speed and handling, but unless you're going to track the car (which maybe you are!) I think more often than not having a second car as big as the Y will come in handy vs that little bit of extra speed.

If you slap a set of 19" wheels on the MYP you can get basically the same efficiency as the MYLR which is actually a little better than the Model 3 Performance. Now yes in windy conditions the Y will probably always be worse than the 3, but otherwise you should be able to get very close to the same efficiency as the 3 Performance.

Keep the UberTurbines for tracking and summer fun and grab a set of 19 inch after market wheels (or the stock Gemini's will actually fit) for the rest of the year for better cool weather grip and reduced battery consumption. A set of Gemini's direct from Tesla is ~$2,750 which is certainly an expense to consider, but think about it extending the time before having to replace the tires on the Ubers.... if you normally drive 12,000 miles a year and only use the ubers for 4 months out of the year, that's only ~4,000 miles/year on the ubers, they should probably last at least 20k miles if you don't drive like a total crazy person which is five years before having to dump more money on tires.

I'm currently renting a 2020 M3P for a trip at an out of state destination. I'm enjoying driving the M3P, but even though I know the acceleration is greater than my MYP, it's pretty hard to tell by my butt-dyno. Both feel really fast accelerating to 70/80 MPH. I also would need to get on a track to be able to understand how much better the M3P's handling capability is (I've taken my MYP on a track), since driving in normal roads and highway feel roughly the same, just in a lower seating position. Track mode is definitely cool and I want it for the MYP, but after checking it out I find that again I would need a track to get the most out of it.

One thing that I really dislike about the M3P is that the accelerator and brake pedals are in sort of located in a cutout in the floor. When driving the MYP, when the car comes to a stop into a hold, I just put my right foot on the floor right behind the accelerator pedal. The floor in the MYP is completely flat, where in the M3P there's kind of a step up (I'm guessing this is where the front of the battery is located). This feels pretty awkward to me and my right knee feel kind of cramped coming off the accelerator pedal and having to kind of step up to rest on the floor behind it. I'm getting used to it a bit more the second day of driving the M3P, but I vastly prefer the MYP in this particular regard.

But despite the issue I have with the front floor layout in the M3P, I'd probably rather have one of each M3P and MYP instead of two MYPs. I just like more variety, even if the two cars feel a lot alike to me in non-track settings.