Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3SR and install solar, or M3LR and pay for electricity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depends on how much the car will be driven, local electric rates, typical electrical usage at home, space available and geometry and shading for solar power. And the short term financial constraints. Solar vendors might be able to advise. TMC members not so much.

Reactions: XPsionic
My dilemma. Help me
If you have to ask, that implies a limited budget or you're looking for the best deal for your money. You're in California, if you don't ski, and have plenty of sun, SR + Solar makes sense.

Of course the more the better, LR + solar? M3P + solar? But since you're making the comparison, I assume you want to get the most bang for your buck. RWD would be fine for everyone who doesn't go skiing in Cali.

Not sure how the two relate that it would be either/or. Assuming some reasonable time horizon solar pays for itself pretty quickly and then provides a nice return on investment-- our system hit break even at 6-1/2 years, now we get about $800 worth of electricity and $1200 in SREC proceeds every year. Solar panels are much cheaper now, so I'm guessing the economics are even more favorable. So yes, if you've got a suitable roof and exposure there's little to no downside in installing solar with a net metering setup. (I doubt the battery systems compare favorably to a grid-connected system, but I haven't investigated it.)

Then get whichever car makes the most sense for you.

If you’re subject to the rates of any of the big investor owned utilities in California (PG&E, SCE, SDGE) solar is a no-brisket and you should get on it super quick before NEM 3.0 becomes a thing later this year.

Solar is an investment. A car is a liability.

I would get a solar system installed regardless of what type of vehicle I would buy; EV or ICE. There are changes in the works which will limit the amount that the electric company can / will pay for your electricity. It's pretty much a given that electric rates will always go up. Investing now in solar is probably a good bet but I would consult several solar installers to see what they say. You can get a feeling on how well solar will work for you if you have a south facing roof not falling under any shade during the day (best possible condition). Panels are more efficient today than when I put solar up back in 2010, My return-on-investment is due right about now. I have a 3.7kW system on a south facing roof which consists of 20 panels. Putting up a similar number of panels today will probably be closer to 6kW and cost less than what I paid (~$16K).

If you have to ask, that implies a limited budget or you're looking for the best deal for your money. You're in California, if you don't ski, and have plenty of sun, SR + Solar makes sense.

Of course the more the better, LR + solar? M3P + solar? But since you're making the comparison, I assume you want to get the most bang for your buck. RWD would be fine for everyone who doesn't go skiing in Cali.
Correct, it is a lump sum budget decision. Seems like it makes the most sense "investment" wise to go with the SR and solar based off other comments.

This is pretty much what I'm doing. I had Tesla Solar installed earlier this year. Honestly it has been a mess working with Tesla Energy. More than a year after signing the agreement and I still don't have PTO. Like with their cars, Tesla Energy Customer Service is pretty horrible. But after more than a year there is finally light at the end of the tunnel. I added extra panels to increase my production so I could help charge a car. But in hindsight I should have added more. One universal lesson learned on Solar, you can never seem to have enough. I hope that over a year my net metering credits will balance my usage. During the summer in Houston there is no chance to have enough production or battery to get through a day. But I hope once I can earn credits it will balance out.

If you live in an area that support free nights, then the other way to go is to get solar to run during the day + batteries to get you to the low cost/free nights period and avoid paying for electricity during the high-cost days. Charge your cars at night. My area doesn't support Time Of Use plans unfortunately.