Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mac: divide USB into 2 partitions (for dashcam and music)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys I need help. I just got my M3 white over black and I’m trying to setup a USB drive with a 64GB SD card. I just want to setup the drive in the FAT32 format but every time I select it changes the name to all Caps.

To paraphrase Douglas Adams, FAT is old. Really old. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly old FAT is.

This is important because FAT originally did not support lowercase characters in its filenames. The original FAT also supported filenames that were a maximum of eleven characters long (eight characters plus a three-character extension). It's only with Windows 95 and the VFAT extensions to FAT that it began to support mixed-case and long filenames. Even then, the encoding method for them is kind of weird. I'm not certain of the details, but I think that the VFAT extension technique cannot be applied to the volume label. Although the universe won't explode if you try to store lowercase letters in the FAT volume label space, a lot of tools won't let you do that, since they're sticking to the original practice with FAT, which was uppercase-only, and limited to eleven characters, too.

If you really want to use a mixed-case volume name, you can use ext2/3/4fs instead of FAT. This reportedly works quite well for Tesla's music volume. Until recently, it didn't work for the TeslaCam volume, but I've seen a recent report that it does work, albeit with some glitches, the nature of which I don't recall. (I think it was @sduck who reported it's now working, so perhaps he can elaborate on this.) Another option is to find a tool that will enable you to specify a volume name that includes lowercase letters, such as "mkdosfs" in Linux. The problem with this approach is that it's conceivable that some tools or OSes might react badly to such a disk. Overall, since an all-uppercase volume name is a very minor cosmetic issue, I personally wouldn't worry about it; just accept an all-uppercase name and be done with it.

Okay I finally figured out what I was doing wrong. I was trying to add the folder “TeslaCam” in the disk Utility. I had to open the drive from my desktop after it was formatted to add the folder. I’ve never used a USB drive before so I was way behind on the learning curve.
Thanks to all who try to help this old man.