Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mach-E Thermal System Nightmare

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really interesting video. Also mentions how bad the ID.4's system is.

Ford and VW systems give them a disadvantage on weight, energy usage, potential for leak, increased production cost & complexity vs. Tesla.

MME may be a competitor for the Model Y, just not a very good one.

Many problems - repair complexity, possibility of manufacturing errors and/or repair errors, leaks, cost, weight. Not as bad as the ID.4 he said, which makes me wonder what that looked like. Ford probably rushed through design and engineering.

Well, the folks over on macheforum are calling Sandy every name under the sun, and that's after praising him for his previous video. I don't always agree with him, but he's spot on here. EVs are supposed to require less maintenance. I don't see that with this. And he's right about those clamps, they're garbage from my own experience.
Anyone who can look at that rats nest and think that’s fine, is not being honest.

Those people on the MachE forum also ignores that Ford recommends having that system brought in and inspected every 10k miles. Now perhaps that could change in time. Remains to be seen.

Ford recommends having that system brought in and inspected every 10k miles.
Tesla used to 'make' us bring our 2008 Roadsters in every 10K miles or annually as well. There wasn't anything to be done but they tore the car apart. This mostly gave them a chance to see how things were holding together. This is necessary when starting out. You don't have the luxury of a century of minor improvements. Its why the Model S and future Teslas are so good.
I'm actually impressed that Ford is doing this. It may put them on a fast track to better EVs. There may be hope for Ford.

Tesla used to 'make' us bring our 2008 Roadsters in every 10K miles or annually as well. There wasn't anything to be done but they tore the car apart. This mostly gave them a chance to see how things were holding together. This is necessary when starting out. You don't have the luxury of a century of minor improvements. Its why the Model S and future Teslas are so good.
I'm actually impressed that Ford is doing this. It may put them on a fast track to better EVs. There may be hope for Ford.

Hence why I wrote that it may change in time.

Yes just like with the Model S and annual check but that too was removed.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
Well, the folks over on macheforum are calling Sandy every name under the sun, and that's after praising him for his previous video. I don't always agree with him, but he's spot on here. EVs are supposed to require less maintenance. I don't see that with this. And he's right about those clamps, they're garbage from my own experience.
In episode 2, the machefourm has made up with Sandy on Ford's superior door technology, so all is right in the world now.

Meh. I don’t like the tangle of hoses, either, but time will tell I guess whether it matters. And here comes the “no heat pump” stuff again LOL. The MME’s range is generally better than the MYLR. So if the heat pump isn’t giving the MY a range advantage, it comes down to efficiency. And who really cares about efficiency? I estimated that the amount of electricity savings of going with the MYLR over the MME 4X was less than $200 a year, which didn’t make up the price difference to start with, let alone justify the other sacrifices I’d have to make.

Meh. I don’t like the tangle of hoses, either, but time will tell I guess whether it matters. And here comes the “no heat pump” stuff again LOL. The MME’s range is generally better than the MYLR. So if the heat pump isn’t giving the MY a range advantage, it comes down to efficiency. And who really cares about efficiency? I estimated that the amount of electricity savings of going with the MYLR over the MME 4X was less than $200 a year, which didn’t make up the price difference to start with, let alone justify the other sacrifices I’d have to make.

The heat pump will show more of a difference in winter range than summer.

Reactions: transpondster
That isn’t manifesting itself, much, in cold weather range tests. The Mach E 4X is generally getting better range than the MYLR.
Seeing as how you can’t effectively fast charge past 80% because charging slows to a crawl while on a road trip in a Mach E, USEFUL range is actually less when using fast chargers. Hopefully this will change one day but right now, it’s not great.

Also the extended range battery in the Mach e of nearly a 100kwh is much bigger than the model Y LR of 75kwh. To barely get more distance than a Model Y (if at all) with about 20% less cargo space too is actually really sad. Efficiency, distance gained per minute of charge is actually what matters on road trips.

For battery costs, I would think Ford would also care about efficiency since they are possibly losing money or barely breaking even. The fact that they have to build it in Mexico is a pretty good indicator of that.

The Mustang…good ole AMERICAN muscle (whispers “but built in Mexico”). Meanwhile Tesla knocked out Ford for top American made vehicle.

Last edited:
charging slows to a crawl on any ev as it gets past 80% of soc, what is your point?
Porsche and Audi may disagree with you. In Tesla, going from 80% to 95% is the matter of 20 minutes or so, when in the Mach-E it is the matter of hours (HOURS). Go buy an EV for yourself and hit the road, then you'll actually see the point SO16 makes.

charging slows to a crawl on any ev as it gets past 80% of soc, what is your point?
Any EV does slow down after 80%, yes but still manageable. Usually can go from 0-100% in just over an hour which is tolerable because it’s still within reason for lunch, etc. The MME REALLY slows down after 80% taking total charge time over twice as long which makes that last 20% not even really accessible during road trips for fast charging. And yes, charging to a 100% can be necessary if you are not going directly to another DC fast charge location. Especially in mountainous or cold areas or wanting to take a side route.

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectricIAC