TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Magazine reviews!

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by TEG, Jan 27, 2008.

1. AGR

AGR Member

Informative remark from Autoweek

We got 93 miles out of the full charge we had on our day’s drive, which was, as we said, spirited and over twisting mountain roads. The meter on the dash went from 95 percent charge to 7 percent by the time we got back to San Carlos. Those numbers were with the car set to make full power. As it neared empty, the Tesla automatically went into a conservation mode that limited torque by 50 percent. That made the indicated 7 percent at full power jump to 21 percent remaining charge at half power, when the controller opens reserve capacity in the battery pack. The record so far for a Tesla drive in ideal conditions is 267 miles on a charge. It is expected to have an EPA rating of 221 miles.

2. siry

siry Member

Mark used 74% of charge and went 93 miles - that equates to 125 miles on the full charge. He drove very fast and with the top down and heaters at full blast with me in the passenger seat (220 lbs)

Final note on that figure: VP10 did not have production spec brakes with rollback seals that significantly reduce drag.

Aside from all of that - it is definitely the case that you will see a huge swing in miles per charge based on driving style, just as in a gas car. People don't think about it as much with a gas car because you just go fill up again. Mark's experience is probably the floor considering all the circumstances.

3. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

siry (Darryl?) thanks for setting the record straight. Based on previous blog entries, the "93 miles out of the full charge" statement did not appear accurate.

You are so right about how we do not think much about regular fill-ups. We just find a gas station and fill up when needed.

4. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen these reviews in print?

On Paper?

5. GSP

GSP Member

I got the March R&T in the mail today. It has two full pages with the above articles and some nice photos.

GSP

6. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

7. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Good find TEG. I had read that on a plane (presumably last Nov/Dec) and did not think to look for an online version.

8. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

#11 malcolm, Apr 27, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
    Longer-term test

What is it like to drive an electric car?

So a simple 240V/13 Amp office car-park charging point could give you 80 miles of range by the end of a 9 to 5 working day.

9. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

For Europe... The MC-120 cable in the USA is 120V so it would be more like half that rate here. 240V/13amp is unusual here. You either get weak [email protected] or much better [email protected] but not much in between.

10. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

A thousand more reviews like this and I think we will be in. :smile:

11. ChargeIt!

ChargeIt! Member

I LOVE this part (emphasis mine) ...

12. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

High praise indeed from the editor of Evo magazine - hopefully we will see similar articles in that publication too and hence possibly influence a lot of petrolheads.

It's a shame that the Smart ED driver didn't explicitly state that you can offset ~£175 per month from that high lease cost in congestion charges alone (I know she mentions the daily cost but it would have been nice to see it spelt out).

13. aussielectric

aussielectric Member

A very comprehensive review of the car at our recent "track day" in South Australia... the guy had an eye for detail!

Browser Warning

(cross-posted in Tesla in Australia thread)

14. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#18 vfx, May 11, 2009
    Last edited: May 11, 2009
    Hemispheres

Great colorful writing. Lot's o' excellent quotes.

edit to add.
    Jonny has been doing the car writing thing for a while including TTAC

15. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

First we've heard about future revisions?

16. Tdave

Tdave Member

I'm guessing they're wrong on the liquid cooled motor in the Roadster Sport.