Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Main screen crashing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove a 60 mile journey yesterday. During the journey the main screen/UI crashed (went blank, logo, reboot) about 5 times.

I was listening to music through Bluetooth.

Is this normal with the new 7.0 upgrade?

Seems very buggy to me - glad the main controls on a separate processor. As for Autopilot ...

Did you reboot it by holding down the scroll wheels or did it do it on its own? Either way drop an email to your service advisor and they'll see the events in their log.

And no, this is not normal.

Mine rebooted Tuesday night while on the freeway, navigating but listing to slacker v2.7.56.

Since my car hasn't slept in weeks & they were supposed to be checking logs looking into that issue I reported the reboot to my service adviser the next morning...I haven't heard anything back.

Happens occasionally to me. Like once a month it will either crash and reboot itself, or it will lock up and I'll have to manually reboot it. Or sometimes the 3G connection won't work, and I'll have to reboot it.

It's definitely buggy, and I think some issues can be caused by a USB stick. Other issues might be related to bluetooth streaming which I've only recently done because Slacker just isn't cutting it for me anymore. Pandora just seems so much better in terms of selection.

But, anyways five times seems way extensive. I'd definitely call Tesla if that was happening to my car.

Our rebooted by itself last week. It started with stuttering internet radio following by freezing map refresh, eventually rebooted in the middle of freeway driving. Luckly it didn't cause any issue with driving!

Had this happen this morning on the drive to school. My son noticed when Radio Disney (Slacker radio) started stuttering, then the map refresh started acting strange, then the center screen went dark, all within what seemed like a few seconds. I was going to pull over and reboot with the scroll wheels, but I got the Tesla logo on the center screen and it recovered before I could find a place to park. So I filed a bug report and continued the mission. FWIW, I do not remember this ever happening before.

(85D with AP, running 2.7.56, no USB devices.)

Whenever I see such reports about main screen rebooting or crashing, I can't seem to ignore my assumptions that this happens mainly to those who do not have the Ultra-High-Fidelity-Sound system (UHFS) installed. I say this because after 8 months of owning my P85D, I have never experienced something like this in my car (which has UHFS).

So what has the UHFS to do with this I hear you ask? Well, if you don't have UHFS, the RAM available for the system is 16GB, but if you have UHFS, you get 32GB! The crashes might happen due to the smaller RAM size which sometimes might not provide enough space for caching all the activities the car needs, especially when multiple activities happen at the same time like playing music from USB, loading the map, receiving some megabytes of data from Tesla while browsing through the songs with a lot of album covers all at once!

It would be interesting to have a poll to check this theory!

Whenever I see such reports about main screen rebooting or crashing, I can't seem to ignore my assumptions that this happens mainly to those who do not have the Ultra-High-Fidelity-Sound system (UHFS) installed!
I have the premium UHFS sound system, and have needed to reboot the center display quite a few times. When the problem occurs, audio playback stutters and touch response is slow, which does feel like memory pressure. In another recent thread, there's discussion about whether this correlates with having lots of music files on a USB stick. Perhaps the contents are being cached for optimal playback quality. I didn't have any problems for a while, but I think this coincided with a period where I primarily listened to TuneIn/Slacker stations and didn't play any songs from the USB drive. Now I've started listening to the USB source on shuffle again, and have had to reboot twice in as many days.

My center console rebooted a couple of times in the last week, and last evening the entire car shut down for some reason while sitting in the driveway. I got in to line it up with the garage to put it away, and both displays were dead, climate control was not on, etc. After a minute or two the dashboard lit up, and a sign appeared saying the systems were starting up. It took a couple minutes, then the center console came up and climate control turned on. The USB reloaded, but picked up where it had left off when I exited the car earlier. Wish I knew what was happening...

I have the premium UHFS sound system, and have needed to reboot the center display quite a few times. When the problem occurs, audio playback stutters and touch response is slow, which does feel like memory pressure. In another recent thread, there's discussion about whether this correlates with having lots of music files on a USB stick. Perhaps the contents are being cached for optimal playback quality. I didn't have any problems for a while, but I think this coincided with a period where I primarily listened to TuneIn/Slacker stations and didn't play any songs from the USB drive. Now I've started listening to the USB source on shuffle again, and have had to reboot twice in as many days.

Well, this just shows that even with 32GB, the memory can reach its limit if you are loading or listening to a lot of songs either from the USB stick or from TuneIn/Slacker/Spotify, the common denominator for all are cover art images (or station logos in case of TuneIn) that are most probably internally cached, using some memory in the process.
Regarding stuttering; it is known that this happens sometimes when the car is loading a new software from Tesla which puts a heavier load on the system. This happened to me once, but it didn't cause an automatic reboot of the screens.

I don't have the uhfs, for what it is worth. It seems to have occurred to quite a few of us on the latest software though. Since Saturday, I've not seen any sign of a software update from tesla, which seems to negate the idea that a pending download might be the cause. I'd speculate that something in the latest release is a memory hog, or is causing a memory leak.

Well, this just shows that even with 32GB, the memory can reach its limit if you are loading or listening to a lot of songs either from the USB stick or from TuneIn/Slacker/Spotify, the common denominator for all are cover art images (or station logos in case of TuneIn) that are most probably internally cached, using some memory in the process.
Regarding stuttering; it is known that this happens sometimes when the car is loading a new software from Tesla which puts a heavier load on the system. This happened to me once, but it didn't cause an automatic reboot of the screens.

32 GB is flash. All cars have 2 GB ram.