Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mainland Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
papafox, we are pleased you returned home safely. Good to see Iceman back on lava-soil too. I want to add that I enjoyed your adventure blog too. Many of your pictures and your explanation made me feel (almost) that I was there with you. Welcome home. We missed ya.

papafox, we are pleased you returned home safely. Good to see Iceman back on lava-soil too. I want to add that I enjoyed your adventure blog too. Many of your pictures and your explanation made me feel (almost) that I was there with you. Welcome home. We missed ya.

Thanks Akikiki, thanks StephenM!

Although it's a big deal visiting all 50 states, I hope some of you have caught the bug and will consider a mainland pickup of your next Tesla. Tour your favorite sights out West as long as you like and then put her on a ship for Hawaii. Might as well get some supercharger time!

What a fine road trip you had...and reported on. You'll be first on our list if we ever try to put together a TeslaConvoy between the lesser-48 and Alaska. Real Alaska - not nosing in and out of Hyder!

Y'all come back soon, hear?

What a fine road trip you had...and reported on. You'll be first on our list if we ever try to put together a TeslaConvoy between the lesser-48 and Alaska. Real Alaska - not nosing in and out of Hyder!

Y'all come back soon, hear?

AudubonB, my trip to Hyder in order to place one foot and one paw inside Alaska, opened my eyes to how totally cool this part of the country is. I'd love to do a deep into Alaska trip if my mainland Tesla is still on the mainland, but there's a real pull to bring it out here. Time will tell!

- - - Updated - - -

Cool! Great job Papafox and Akikiki!

I think between Akiki and myself we told an important story and well represented Hawaii Tesla drivers. Akikiki focused on the relationship of Hawaii Tesla owners to our wonderful service center, and I focused upon long-distance driving on the mainland.

We had to return to the mainland to experience the Model S 70D in the snow. No winter tires have been installed at this point because I have a 4WD SUV at my disposal for the ski trips and I just can't see buying winter tires for 3-4 weeks of driving.

Nonetheless, with snow covering the roads last night, it was time to load Iceman into the 70D and take a few spins around the neighborhood. First impressions? Wow, this thing does great in snow! I grew up in snow country and am very comfortable with winter driving. I would try gunning the electric motors coming around a turn but felt no tendency for the rear end to run around on me. At one point I stomped the accelerator to see how well the traction control would work, and it modulated power to each wheel at just the right amount to prevent spinning. You could feel some mild spinning before the traction control adjusted power to the wheel and got things back to proper traction. Braking was also good in snow with a max braking effort yielding a cycling of braking energy to keep the wheels from sliding for more than a fraction of a second. I felt no tendency to slide while in max regen, but this was snow and not ice and perhaps regen might be an issue on ice. More play (I mean serious work) is needed for me to get the full picture.

winterdrive9001.jpg

I planned to drive once around the block and ended up going around four times. This is just too much fun!

winterice900.jpg

Meanwhile, the Kailua dog does not seem to have any issues with the cold. He just wants the walks to go on and on and on.

I'm inclined to believe that if I put winter tires on the 70D and rented the vehicle out to visiting Hawaii Tesla owners, their friends and relatives would never see them! Imagine if Nanimac got her hands on a mainland 70D: she'd be off to Sun Valley, Alta, Aspen, and Telluride while the folks back in California wondered whatever happened to her.

Last edited:
You see, it always starts like this and then BAM, she's in Vermont. Nanimac, if you get anywhere near the Truckee supercharger during your stay give me advance warning and I'll supply a Tesla for you to supercharge.

Your offer is tempting but the 3.5 hour drive from San Jose without the convenience of autopilot and in my ICE rental does not seem like fun!