Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mainland Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aloha papafox, I read your column about the HCC Aviation program in the Honolulu S-A yesterday. The bio said you have recently retired? Gosh dude, if that's true, are you going to stay on the mainland and just drive around for the next few years in your new Seven-D ?

Aloha papafox, I read your column about the HCC Aviation program in the Honolulu S-A yesterday. The bio said you have recently retired? Gosh dude, if that's true, are you going to stay on the mainland and just drive around for the next few years in your new Seven-D ?

I am going into business with inexpensive but advanced flight simulation products when I get back to Hawaii. It's gonna be fun. In the meantime I have some consulting that I can do while on the roadtrip. My previous job had become a 70+ hour a week job and I'm in dear need of a long vacation. Looking forward to getting started on the trip.

I am going into business with inexpensive but advanced flight simulation products when I get back to Hawaii. It's gonna be fun. In the meantime I have some consulting that I can do while on the roadtrip. My previous job had become a 70+ hour a week job and I'm in dear need of a long vacation. Looking forward to getting started on the trip.

Ya know, we know ya. You have earned your long drive. Do it. Enjoy it. But you are directed to be safe so you get to come home when you are ready.

All anchors have been hoisted and Iceman and I have set sail on the 50 state road trip, at long last. Here's something you don't see in Hawaii every day: the Tesla reminding you that you're a little more than 5mph over the 75mph speed limit. It feels GREAT to be on the road at last.
75mph.jpg

I probably won't put this photo on the blog but those of you who know Iceman will get a kick out of it. Last night I searched for a place to eat where I could dine outside with my dog, and the only place nearby was a Hooters (really!). So, Iceman and I show up, they're very accommodating, and the gals fall in love with Iceman. Traveling with Iceman is kind of like being the chaperone for a young rock star: the scenery is great but all the attention is turned in another direction. The gals did something right, though. The one new to the job asked me for my ID before she would serve me a beer. I haven't been carded in over 25 years. She got a BIG tip, hehe (probably needs to buy a strong pair of glasses and I think it's only proper that I help out.
cheers

hootersice.jpg

Papafox and Iceman have now covered all the states. Although the deep blue 70D might ship to Hawaii sometime in the future, I'm calling it a 50 state tour that was completed using 2 Tesla Model S cars. After driving 40,000 miles in Hawaii with my dark blue Model S, I just don't see the point of putting the deep blue on a ship at this time.

In the next couple of days I'll be bringing the blog up to the 50 state point. More importantly, though, I will be writing in the supporting sections of the blog (AutoP & Nav, Off-Net, etc.) in order to share what I've learned about mainland charging options and range considerations. For example, I'm very impressed by the effect of drafting on range. My 65 mph energy use drops from about 280wh/mile to about 245wh/mile when I draft a semi-truck. There's even an effect I call whole-traffic drafting where you gain efficiency by simply being part of heavy traffic that is flowing smoothly.

Iceman had a ball and I discovered he's a country dog at heart.

Michael Fritts is a terrific guy and I hope that he and I can combine forces and offer a presentation at TMC Connect in the coming year.

In the meantime, looking forward to our next meet-up on Oahu!

Papafox and Iceman have now covered all the states. Although the deep blue 70D might ship to Hawaii sometime in the future, I'm calling it a 50 state tour that was completed using 2 Tesla Model S cars. After driving 40,000 miles in Hawaii with my dark blue Model S, I just don't see the point of putting the deep blue on a ship at this time.

In the next couple of days I'll be bringing the blog up to the 50 state point. More importantly, though, I will be writing in the supporting sections of the blog (AutoP & Nav, Off-Net, etc.) in order to share what I've learned about mainland charging options and range considerations. For example, I'm very impressed by the effect of drafting on range. My 65 mph energy use drops from about 280wh/mile to about 245wh/mile when I draft a semi-truck. There's even an effect I call whole-traffic drafting where you gain efficiency by simply being part of heavy traffic that is flowing smoothly.

Iceman had a ball and I discovered he's a country dog at heart.

Michael Fritts is a terrific guy and I hope that he and I can combine forces and offer a presentation at TMC Connect in the coming year.

In the meantime, looking forward to our next meet-up on Oahu!

when you come back have iceman invite his hooters girls to come with him.

when you come back have iceman invite his hooters girls to come with him.

dsmith, Iceman would be pleased to do so, just to keep me jealous. Imagine the looks the neighbors would give if two hooters girls walked Iceman every morning. If they tag along, I'll bring them to the next Hawaii Tesla event so that you can meet them.

Last edited: