Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maintenance Plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a quick question. Why is the current four year Maintenance Plan more expensive than three year Maintenance Plan on per year basis? Three year plan is costing $1625 ($541.66 per year) vs. Four year plan costs $2400 ($600 per year). Seems abnormal.

Is the maintenance plan worth it? I'm considering about it as well.

It's just like should you go to the dentist at least annually when you have absolutely no toothache.

Some say yes, some say no.

It depends on you.

No:

1) It's an electric car that doesn't need conventional oily maintenance.
2) Why waste your time when your car is still functional? Standard warranty covers you even when it's broken down on the road.

Yes:

1) Electric car still needs maintenance too.
2) It's good to have annual inspection even when your car is fine to avoid a potential of being stranded on the road.
3) If you want to buy extended warranty, Tesla might not sell it to you if you don't maintain your car.

Calling veteran owners (3-4 years of ownership), is this worth to pay upfront for the 3-year or 4-year maintenance plans or just paid at you go? or having services somewhere else such as tire rotations or DIY replacing key fob battery, wiper blade set replacement,...etc.

...veteran owners...

If you are like I do who lives hundreds of miles from a nearest Service Center, it might make sense to DIY.

But if you live in a metropolitan accessible to a Service Center, I would pre-pay to take advantage of Tesla profession skills with no hesitation.

That said, I did pay 8-year maintenance plan for my previous 2012 Model S which is now more than 90,000 miles and 4-year maintenance plan for my current 2017 Model X. It's very well worth the cost.

It's just like should you go to the dentist at least annually when you have absolutely no toothache.

Some say yes, some say no.

It depends on you.

No:

1) It's an electric car that doesn't need conventional oily maintenance.
2) Why waste your time when your car is still functional? Standard warranty covers you even when it's broken down on the road.

Yes:

1) Electric car still needs maintenance too.
2) It's good to have annual inspection even when your car is fine to avoid a potential of being stranded on the road.
3) If you want to buy extended warranty, Tesla might not sell it to you if you don't maintain your car.

Agree.

Something else to consider on the maintenance plan is how many miles you drive per year.
The interval is "12 months or 12,500 miles, whichever occurs first".
So, if you drive like I do, and put approximately 36,000 miles on your car in the first year, you would have used up 3 of your visits in just the first year. Just something to think about too...
What I did was to make sure the Drive Unit fluid was serviced at around 10,000 miles, and then I had the "Year 2" service done at my 1 year anniversary. Now the question is, when should I do the "Year 4" maintenance... I think that will depend on if I get the Extended Service Agreement.