Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maintenance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New to Tesla, I have a 2016 90D with around 60k miles. What all maintenance do I need to do?

I have a 2016 90D with 125,000 miles. I have replaced the tires twice. New headlights(under warranty). New passenger door handle (warranty).

Maybe replace the 12V battery. It will be far less expensive sooner rather than when the car shuts down and you have to have it towed (happened to me after 4 years).

Oh, and I would check the windshield washer fluid.

1. Cabin Air Filter - Every 2 years
  2. High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filter- Every 3 years
  3. Brake Fluid Test - Test for contamination every 2 years
  4. Air Conditioning Service - Replace dessicant every 2 years
  5. Winter Care - Clean and lubricate all brake calipers every 12 months (more important in cold regions where salt and sand is dumped on the roads in winter)

I have a 2016 90D with 125,000 miles. I have replaced the tires twice. New headlights(under warranty). New passenger door handle (warranty).

Maybe replace the 12V battery. It will be far less expensive sooner rather than when the car shuts down and you have to have it towed (happened to me after 4 years).

Oh, and I would check the windshield washer fluid.

Quick question - what is your 100% range now? My 90D has suffered tremendously for whatever reason.

1. Cabin Air Filter - Every 2 years
  2. High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filter- Every 3 years
  3. Brake Fluid Test - Test for contamination every 2 years
  4. Air Conditioning Service - Replace dessicant every 2 years
  5. Winter Care - Clean and lubricate all brake calipers every 12 months (more important in cold regions where salt and sand is dumped on the roads in winter)

the cabin air filter should be replaced every 15k miles! Most people drive this amount per year.

• Informative
Reactions: Cheburashka
on my 2013 and 210.000km:
  1. Cabin Air Filter (very easy DIY, cost : 13€)
  2. Brake Fluid done only one time
  3. Air Conditioning done only done one time
  4. 12 V battery remplaced one time
  5. repaint the performance brakes calibers (beautiful red)
  6. regreased and tightened the transmission gimbals. Cost: 55€ (done last friday)
That's all the maintenance my car had.
My car had some other reliablity problems but it is not maintenance

Reactions: T.R.T.e.s.l.a.
ahkahn said:
Quick question - what is your 100% range now? My 90D has suffered tremendously for whatever reason.

New: about 299 miles. Now: about 288.

For what it is worth: Because the car was used for long distance travel in the first two years, I would guess 75% (or more) of charging has been done at SuperChargers.

Reactions: ahkahn
on my 2013 and 210.000km:
  1. Cabin Air Filter (very easy DIY, cost : 13€)
  2. Brake Fluid done only one time
  3. Air Conditioning done only done one time
  4. 12 V battery remplaced one time
  5. repaint the performance brakes calibers (beautiful red)
  6. regreased and tightened the transmission gimbals. Cost: 55€ (done last friday)
That's all the maintenance my car had.
My car had some other reliablity problems but it is not maintenance

I was under the assumption the brake fluid needs to be replaced as often as any ICE car, every 2 years/24-36k miles?

Other items apparently no longer on the official list but that seem like a good idea --

• Clean the A/C and sunroof drains. These can get clogged and cause fluids to back up and overflow into the cabin, making a mess. Cleanout is easy using compressed air, should be cheap.
  • Possibly clean and lubricate the sunroof if you have one. That was part of my annual service the past two years, and I do use the sunroof so it might be a good investment. That was part of routine service on other cars i had in the past, too.

Reactions: dark cloud
Clean the A/C and sunroof drains. These can get clogged and cause fluids to back up and overflow into the cabin, making a mess. Cleanout is easy using compressed air, should be cheap.
Currently have a wet floorboard in one of our 2014 S's.

I can see the AC drain tube, and it is clear on the outside (frunk) but I was hesitant to disconnect it on the inside.

I have no idea where the sunroof drains.

@David29 How do you go about cleaning the AC and sunroof drains? Thanks!

I can see the AC drain tube, and it is clear on the outside (frunk) but I was hesitant to disconnect it on the inside.

I should not have made it sound as if I have done it on the Tesla. I have had the service center do the drain cleaning, so I do not actually know where each of the drains emerges below the car, sorry. On other cars, the AC drain tube(s) are usually fairly easy to spot because you know roughly where the heater box is. But the sunroof drains can emerge in various places that might not be apparent. Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

I will look. This is a common problem (work mate just paid $5000 to have carpet and side airbags replaced on a Toyota with plugged up sunroof drains.

Reactions: David29