Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High mileage 2015 90D purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
u need a part #, late versions aka v3 (108* part #) are fine
i have 2016 90d with 98k mi, runs just fine
of course u never guaranteed it will last, some do some don't ...
if ur handy u can always get used pack from salvage car/yard n swap it in, sell the old modules (most cost effective solution)

Upvote 0
I bought a used 2015 90D with about 95k miles on it a few years back...it was the worsst purchase of my life. I owned it about 1.5 years and was all downhill from the day i bought her.
  • The screens were already starting to melt a little, but got significantly worse;
  • My GPS signal was poor fairly often. I do live near a lot of water, so maybe that was a a factor, but navigation and location was always messed ip, sometimes I couldn't use my navigation for a week at a time;
  • My rear motor eventually starting going while driving, which cuts your power by half and pretty much limp mode. At the end, it was happening every drive, though I could reset it by just putting the car in park;
  • My charging latch failed and had to be opened and closed manually;
  • My auto open/close trunk failed and had to opened and closed manually;
  • Two door handles failed;
  • Two speakers failed;

So yeah...FWIW, I would run away! Mine could have been a one off cow that needed to be put to pasture, but those early batteries and cars overall have been known to have issues. My 2017 75D is day and night, the way a Tesla should be. As you can see, I did not let one bad experience sway my decision to get another Tesla. Good luck to you!

Upvote 0
95k miles on a 2015 is NOT high miles so there may be some issues since it wasn't driven a lot.

If it had 150k-180k miles I'd say hell yeah buy it and don't look back.

But with low mileage like that you're probably gonna have a motor go out soon along with other things failing
Not going to have a motor issue on a 90D. Agree that 95k miles on a 2015 is low, not high. 2015 90 is going to be a first gen 90 HV which is sketchy.

Upvote 0
Not going to have a motor issue on a 90D. Agree that 95k miles on a 2015 is low, not high. 2015 90 is going to be a first gen 90 HV which is sketchy.
My 2014 P85D rear motor lasted till 172k miles. But now I'm seeing this potential buy car is a non-P model so it just has 2 of the small cantaloupe motors not the 2 watermelon butted to each other and 1 cantaloupe motors.

Still low mileage though

Reactions: blodg1
Upvote 0
I think the thought was that early (2012-14) cars that were pampered and had very little mileage were the ones that were having multiple issues later on when they were out of warranty... the early cars that were driven into the ground had the issues addressed promptly by Tesla and then ended up being remarkably reliable (notable exception: HV battery). This was attributed to Tesla being a novice at high volume production at the time... Not sure if that argument holds up now or even after 2015

Upvote 0
feels like OP has left the chat
spoke too soon 😅
I think the thought was that early (2012-14) cars that were pampered and had very little mileage were the ones that were having multiple issues later on when they were out of warranty... the early cars that were driven into the ground had the issues addressed promptly by Tesla and then ended up being remarkably reliable (notable exception: HV battery). This was attributed to Tesla being a novice at high volume production at the time... Not sure if that argument holds up now or even after 2015
i think this theory is mostly for HV/LDU issues...

Upvote 0