Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Makes me sad to hear many reviews of the New S complain about build quality!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Look at BMW for example. In the US they have 17 models, each with multiple variants. Add the wide variety of customization for each and the complexity is enormous.
I may be in the minority: I find the amount of customization, options, and models for BMW and others to be bewildering. I just tried to build a Porsche Taycan EV on Porsche's website just for the heck of it, and flat couldn't get my head around the eleventy billion customization options. Every time I tried to select different seats I would get a popup telling me I have to delete one package and select another package, or I can't have these wheels with that interior (huh?) etc. Way too much work trying to figure it all out.

I may be in the minority: I find the amount of customization, options, and models for BMW and others to be bewildering. I just tried to build a Porsche Taycan EV on Porsche's website just for the heck of it, and flat couldn't get my head around the eleventy billion customization options. Every time I tried to select different seats I would get a popup telling me I have to delete one package and select another package, or I can't have these wheels with that interior (huh?) etc. Way too much work trying to figure it all out.
I agree, there's a happy medium between Tesla's "choose one of 5 colors and if you want Autopilot" and Porshe's "body colored turn signal stalk accent ring" for $359.

I agree, there's a happy medium between Tesla's "choose one of 5 colors and if you want Autopilot" and Porshe's "body colored turn signal stalk accent ring" for $359.

Agreed. Porsche goes way over the top on options. BMW for example does have some odd options as well, but the color, interior, and wheel choices are very nice. I also like the option of upgraded sport seats and other changes like an M package or S-line (Audi) which adds alcantara, different stitching, and even a body kit.

It's a bummer that the Plaid looks the same as the base Model S outside of the badge, red brakes, and tiny spoiler.

Wait until you need a part for one of these hyper-personalized cars and are told, for example, that there are no mid-range amplifiers for your MeisterBlaster stereo available in the universe so, despite the fact that your car is under warranty, you will have no music for the foreseeable future because they only made 15 cars with that option and the vendor that supplied it will make some more of them we just aren’t sure when.

• Funny
Reactions: Iain
Meh. People have been preaching some variant of this line for a decade now, this big existential crisis.

There will always be people willing to put up with some quality and service issues in exchange for a performance bargain and brand story. Subaru still manages to sell plenty of WRXs and their materials quality is only slightly better than ‘90s Hondas.

I’m sure some of this is similar to how GM, Ford, Chrysler, etc. felt in the 1950s-60s as Datsun, Honda, Toyota, etc. were entering the U.S. market and again in later years as more premium and luxury imports were entering the market.

As competition heats up in the BEV space, Tesla could see its sales quickly flatten or decline IF they aren't able to satisfy broader fundamental customer needs including quality fit and finish, good customer service, etc. I’m not saying Tesla can't or won't step up in these areas but think some are too quick to ignore or downplay their importance, especially in the long run. Not everyone cares about things like 0-60 times.

Once the competition puts as many cars on the road as tesla has, it’d be interesting to see how they fare.

tesla is sold out for quiet a few months, they sell every car they can produce, their charging network is huge, so having a few here and there complain about built quality etc is getting old as everything else points to the brand’s success now and in the near future. Just my opinion 👍

Due to things like chip and other raw material shortages, the current market isn't necessarily representative of how things will be in the future. There have been plenty of times in past years when Tesla wasn't selling every car they can produce and had existing (new) inventory cars potentially sitting for months ..... and this was with little to no BEV competition.

Competition is definitely going to be increasing and getting stronger going forward and hopefully Tesla will be ready, willing and able to deal with it.

Agreed. Porsche goes way over the top on options. BMW for example does have some odd options as well, but the color, interior, and wheel choices are very nice. I also like the option of upgraded sport seats and other changes like an M package or S-line (Audi) which adds alcantara, different stitching, and even a body kit.

It's a bummer that the Plaid looks the same as the base Model S outside of the badge, red brakes, and tiny spoiler.
No red brake calipers, bro, no red brake calipers.... they are all black and/or covered with hub caps!

Last edited:
Reactions: FlatSix911

What red calipers?

Due to things like chip and other raw material shortages, the current market isn't necessarily representative of how things will be in the future. There have been plenty of times in past years when Tesla wasn't selling every car they can produce and had existing (new) inventory cars potentially sitting for months ..... and this was with little to no BEV competition.

Competition is definitely going to be increasing and getting stronger going forward and hopefully Tesla will be ready, willing and able to deal with it.
In the past when the Model S/X sales were slowing down, it seemed to be exasperated when news/rumor broke of a potential refresh. But that news came out well over a year too early.

yes I see lots of videos still focus on the panel gap or whatever. But what blows my mind is that people owning multimillion dollar vehicles are blown away by the Plaid. To me, that says more than a few panel gaps or paint issues that can be fixed. And I wish they would be. I’m so sick of the “but what about the panel gaps and quality?!?!” drum beat.

yes I see lots of videos still focus on the panel gap or whatever. But what blows my mind is that people owning multimillion dollar vehicles are blown away by the Plaid. To me, that says more than a few panel gaps or paint issues that can be fixed. And I wish they would be. I’m so sick of the “but what about the panel gaps and quality?!?!” drum beat.

That may be fine for a small segment of buyers but Tesla's sales ambitions, especially long term, are much larger/wider than that. If they don't get a better handle on build quality and customer service issues, they'll never be able to attract and keep the broader range of customers needed to achieve the sales and long-term success they’re looking for.

800V just like the 2-speed transmission is a bunch for marketing BS. Current battery cells cannot take that rate of charge so is completely pointless.
Not at all. 800V vs, 400V means half the current, means smaller, lighter wiring, etc. But I'll tell you what, there obviously is a market for Teslas since people are buying them, but at the same time Taycans are also selling faster than they can produce them. Obviously you are passionate about the Tesla, therefore would get more enjoyment out of a Tesla. Me, after owning four Model S, I am willing to drop tens of thousands more for a Taycan, so obviously I anticipate more joy out of a Taycan, even though I've enjoyed drivng my Teslas tremendously over the past 8+ years. We could argue all year long, comparing Plaid acceleration vs Taycan acceleration, or Plaid Fart Mode vs. Taycan HUD, Tesla's single gear (which I prefer btw) vs. Taycan rear steering (which I also prefer), etc,etc. So let's just agree to disagree. I hope you have, or will some day buy a Tesla which you will love.

Last edited:
Reactions: cwanja and VT_EE
I’m the review. I’ve had the car for nearly 2 months and it’s incredible. In every single way it’s better than anything tesla has produced.
it makes the model 3 and y and old s feel ancient. From the yoke to the tech to the comfort to the build quality to the performance to the UI you name it - noticeably improved.
Have you ever owned any of the other brand luxury cars in the same price range? Or are you simply comparing latest Model S to 3 and Y?

Reactions: All In
Not at all. 800V vs, 400V means half the current, means smaller, lighter wiring, etc. But I'll tell you what, there obviously is a market for Teslas since people are buying them, but at the same time Taycans are also selling faster than they can produce them. Obviously you are passionate about the Tesla, therefore would get more enjoyment out of a Tesla. Me, after owning four Model S, I am willing to drop tens of thousands more for a Taycan, so obviously I anticipate more joy out of a Taycan, even though I've enjoyed drivng my Teslas tremendously over the past 8+ years. We could argue all year long, comparing Plaid acceleration vs Taycan acceleration, or Plaid Fart Mode vs. Taycan HUD, Tesla's single gear (which I prefer btw) vs. Taycan rear steering (which I also prefer), etc,etc. So let's just agree to disagree. I hope you have, or will some day buy a Tesla which you will love.

I work for an EV manufacturer non Tesla on the engineering side. Do you mean cable or wiring? How much weight do you save by going to 800V with the thinner gauge cable? how many feet of HV cables are in a Tesla? I can tell you that new Plaid and I assume the refresh Model S LR doesn't have charge cables; it has aluminum piping which is lighter and cheaper than any thick gauge and sleeved 800V rated HV cable. I don't know if you are aware but 800V components are really expensive and hard to source. Instead of taking short cuts and just bumping up voltage Tesla is developing batteries that can charge faster tackling the real bottle neck.

Thanks for buying the four Model S and helping Tesla get to this point. So far I am please with my Model 3 Performance and with my mother's Model 3. They have been delightful cars and issue free and I just can't see myself going back to ICE or driving any else because I fell like I have the best of the best. I placed reservation for a Lucid Air because I want to see what the competition can do and I hope I can get a test drive soon. Hopefully my Model S Plaid is as good or better than my Model 3.

The debate seems of have shifted from one of build quality to market share and what drives it, which build quality is part of. I think in terms of total EV sales we are still in the steep part of the development s-curve. Tesla is ahead but economy of scale has not materialize for anyone. This makes debating future outcomes for any manufacture difficult. Having said that if and when price parity is achieved, and performance is negligible, build quality has historically been a deciding sales factor.

I guess it could be primer underneath, but one review I found said it was Chrome coming through.

Also, someone posted that Tesla uses "metal". The chrome trim pieces (now black), are not metal, they are plastic. (window surround, mirror bottoms, grille surround, etc, etc). Regardless of if it's primer or chrome that's showing through, painting these pieces is simply not a good idea. Plastic pieces can be easily produced in black plastic, needing no paint at all and provide very good long term durability.

View attachment 698325
Tesla QC baffles me. I have two EVs, a 2019 Bolt Premier (non-combustible model) and a MY bought in Nov. My MY has, at least to my eyes, perfect paint. As you can see by the attached photos there is no problem with the black support of the driver's side mirror. Indeed, I looked the car over very carefully before posting this comment and I can't find any fault with build quality.

Look, I'm not a "Tesla Bro" or member of the cult. If there was an issue with my car's paint I'd tell ya. But the damn car is beautiful. 8,500 trouble free miles to date, including one run from Tucson to San Diego and back and one run from Tucson to Cape Cod.

I just don't get it.

Rich

Unwashed back of mirror.
eByX3Lx.jpg

Mirror support. No spots or blemishes.
PjmXgpz.jpg