Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Making left/right turns during FSD on city streets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a question with regards to making left/right turns on city streets while in unmapped FSD. The documentation appears to state “On city or residential streets, engaging the right or left turn signal tells Full Self-Driving (Beta) to make a right or left turn, respectively”. I have tried this several times and find that my Model Y does not make turns on non mapped FSD? As I approach an intersection under FSD where I need to make a turn, I signal the change with the turn signal arm. The turn signal begins, then, shortly turns off. The car makes no attempt to turn. This is not a problem with mapped FSD.

This is expected behaviour for this version of FSDS. Others have tested it with the same results. Apparently you have to set a destination and let the car choose the route and any changes (beyond the options when you first set the destination). You can't just go out for a 'drive' with the car.

This is expected behaviour for this version of FSDS. Others have tested it with the same results. Apparently you have to set a destination and let the car choose the route and any changes (beyond the options when you first set the destination). You can't just go out for a 'drive' with the car.
Well, you can go for a drive, but the turn signals don’t initiate turns (yet), even though the manual says otherwise. Others have reported that if you don’t set a destination but have Automatic Navigation enabled, FSD might try to navigate to a specific destination, but I haven’t experienced that.

Well, you can go for a drive, but the turn signals don’t initiate turns (yet), even though the manual says otherwise. Others have reported that if you don’t set a destination but have Automatic Navigation enabled, FSD might try to navigate to a specific destination, but I haven’t experienced that.
My husband is amused by the suggestions when he pulls up navigation (I am not sure if he has Auto Nav set.) If it is near dinner and he's at my daughter's, it suggests the Chinese Food place he often goes to on the way back from visiting her on a weekend. When he gets in the car early in the morning, it suggests the pickup point for our grandkid (we babysit and the toddler is handed off at my kid's work.) For me, if I get into the car before about 2 p.m. it will suggest driving to work. Which is actually our daughter's place but I set it to work so I could turn off Sentry every time I'm there.