Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Manual firmware update (for new charge port)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought brand new charge port for P100D year 2017. Part number: 1061353-00-F. The old one is mechanically damaged, albeit charging works but in limited mode.

When charge port physically changed:
  1. The car says "Software upgrade required".
  2. Port will not unlock
  3. Doesn't charge if opened via emergency charge port release lever
Plugging back old charger works. And it does NOT say "Software upgrade required". I suspect it is due to software incompatibility that the new port refuses to work.

I'm now on 2018.48.12.1 d6999f5 and I think soon I will be offered a new firmware upgrade. However i'm afraid plugging in new port and upgrading firmware and hoping it will upgrade my new port. If software goes out-of-sync with old port, I may have no option to charge (if there may be other issues with new charge port).

What are my options? Is there an option to manually update Tesla (charge port)? Are there anyone who services his Tesla by himself? How do Service Centers do it? They are provided with software from Tesla or what? Can it be used by car owners?

I'm a software engineer myself and if there is a way to load that update by myself, that would be great. In my country where I live and neighboring countries there is no Tesla service center :) The closest one is I think 1200km.

• Love
Reactions: Smalltom and JQS3
Not too hard really. You need an Ethernet to Fakra 4 pin hsd cable. Then you'll need to plug into the car network and redeploy your firmware so that it upgrades the firmware on your new charge port.

Buy this

Tesla Service Cable Ethernet FakraHSD for Toolbox 1.5ft Model S/X | eBay

Then once you have it, remove the glove box and look at your APE computer behind it. Remove it's white Ethernet cable and connect your new cable to it (this is the Ethernet cable going to your MCU).

Then, plug the Ethernet cable into your laptop and set your laptop ip address on the Ethernet port to 192.168.90.103

Then use a terminal to telnet into your MCU by typing "telnet 192.168.90.100 25956"

Then type "factory-redeploy" and hit enter. Your MCU will turn blue after a few seconds and start the automatic firmware redeploy to all car components. You do NOT need to push any buttons on the MCU to start it. Just wait. It'll reboot a bunch. 45 minutes later it'll be complete and say so, but still be blue.

Restart the MCU by holding down the two steering scroll wheels for a few seconds in order to make the blue screen go away.

You should be done.

kdday.
  1. Managed to connect to that port.
  2. Verified with wireshark that broadcast packets come in from 192.168.90.100.
  3. Was able to telnet into 192.168.90.100 25956 and issue factory-redeploy, at same time conmnnected cable back to AP
  4. Screen turned blue.
  5. Then screen turned off and went black. Didn't saw reboots, nothing.
  6. Waited a bit more than 45 mins. Still black. Even dashboard.
  7. Removed high-voltage and 12V connectors from battery under frunk.
  8. After connectioing them, Tesla turned on. Screen wasn't blue, but it offered to install update. I did so.
  9. At the same time Tesla said that systems are shutting down, car can shutdown unexpectedly. I did have this message when doing factory-redeploy procedure.
  10. Now my screen is black and I wonder if it is installing update and what should I do?

Interesting. Not quite sure.

Are you inside your car or out? I'd give the car a good hour just in case, then, DON'T EVER PULL THE BATTERY AGAIN during a firmware update!

Once your car is back to usable condition, and if the software update did work, your charger should work.

If not, try this:

1) Reconnect your Ethernet to the APE cable
2) Telnet to 192.168.90.100 25956
3) issue command exactly like this:

factory-redeploy "modules_to_skip":"ic,sierra,ape"

*include the quote marks*

4) leave your laptop connected the whole time
5) watch MCU turn blue but do not touch it, ever. It'll even tell you a software update is ready. Don't touch it. It'll start on its own.
6) once software update is complete, reboot the MCU and you should be good.

I caveat all of the above with "at your own risk" - I'm an armchair Tesla enthusiast, not a trained technical mechanic.

I'm currently at home. As I understand, the Tesla has shutdown before update even started. Unplugging charger port returns things to normal - car won't shutdown.

I will have to retry that tomorrow - it is exactly midnight in Latvia.

By the way, do you happen to know command that will reset all error codes? Something about that charger port makes that Tesla want to shutdown.

Thanks for invaluable info.

Car is not plugged.

We had some progress.
1. Restarted car with disconnecting battery. Charge port was disconnected.
2. Connected battery, car turned on.
3. Connected charge port. Tesla didnt say it will shutdown (it did when turning car on with port plugged in)
4. Launched update with modules_to_skip. 5.Update completed in some 20minutes with modules_to_skip.
6. Yay, car no longer shuts down with new charge port. OlI can even open it! But will not unlock and no light comes in.
7. Trying to do factory-redeploy for all modules, but always fails (multiple attempts): "Update did not complete successfully"

Maybe car doesnt like unplugging Autopilot module? Is there any other, free ethernet port to use?

Btw when updating car after 9.0 (some minor update) officially, when it offered me - it also failed on the first try. But was ok on second try.

1. Car no more says it will shutdown unexpectedly with new

Last edited by a moderator:
#7 happens and update fails because autopilot computer must be plugged in (and it's not when you're using the Ethernet cable).

Try doing one more redeploy, but only skip "ape" so that you redeploy to IC too.

A e you able to open and unlock the charge port from the MCU screen by clicking the charge icon?

> A e you able to open and unlock the charge port from the MCU screen by clicking the charge icon?
Port canbe opened/closed, yes. Screen shows "Charge Port Open" - so communication happens.

But no, port is not unlocked.

If unlocked via physical emergency switch on the back, it shows RED light.

Will try to skip only ape.

Failed. Reason= gateway_failure. See image.
s!AiEo-hWLRGVLgZA-vXQs4-0YVdnC0w

Hey, progress! Had to unplug and reconnect charging port while Tesla is on. Now it unlocks and charges! Albeit limited charging, saying charge cable may not be inserted correctly. km per hour climbs up slowly. Now at 23kmh (slow) on 3phase power line.

Will have to see if charger issues or something. Will try to charge @ chademo charger.

Huge thanks kdday. The main goal of this thread has been accomplished. You really provided invaluable info. Googling "teslatesla factory-redeploy" command for example brings this thread only. What treasure of knowlede are you still keeping for yourself? :)