Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Manual Transmission / Stick Drivers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently own a Honda Civic SI 2008 model and have been driving that bad boy for the past 11 years. Anybody else get rid of their stick shift car for a Tesla? I was planning on getting another stick car (VW Arteon), but seeing how two of my coworkers love their Tesla so much, I jumped on the bandwagon. Do you guys miss driving stick? Or is the Tesla that awesome?

Like Puddles, I too miss the act of shifting, and there are parts of that experience that the model 3 will not replace. However, if you set up your 3 with the stronger regen and turn off 'creep' mode, for 'one pedal driving', it is a pretty great stand-in for an ICE vehicle w/ stick.
(aka- Not as fun/engaging as a good 6spd manual, but better than a DSG, and lightyears better than a torque converter automatic)

PS-I think the next major software patch (36.1?) is slated to make the one pedal driving experience even better, as the car will come all the away to a stop when you lift off the accelerator. Currently, in 32.12.2 regen goes away around 5mph, and you still have to roll into the brakes to fully stop.

I drove manual transmission sports oriented cars for most of my life and my last car was a MT Golf R. I honestly don’t miss it at all. I do what someone above suggested which is keep regen on standard and turn creep off.

I know maybe I’m not the normal MT driver in that I also enjoy some of the modern auto transmissions like a properly tuned ZF8. From my perspective, Teslas are super fun to drive because of how great accelerator and regen response is and I also don’t have to deal with shifting in Bay Area traffic.

• Informative
Reactions: skydreamerjae
I miss shifting and sound terribly. Those two sensations created a connection to a car the Tesla can't match. However, as stated above the TM3 makes up for it in other ways like region braking and being able to hear what the tires are doing during hard cornering. It's a MUCH better commute car, and faster in just about every way ('cept maybe handling)...but if you cherish a perfectly timed and rev-matched shift coming out of a corner, you will miss it. Overall, the TM3 is a better car for me and I don't regret the decision, but I must admit I get nostalgic when I hear a manual car scream away.

I really wanted another manual as I think in the couple years you won't be able to buy any new cars with a stick. Almost went with a BMW M3. I think you will find the instant torque/acceleration of a Tesla, combined with the feel of regen braking (feels like down shifting) to be enough to offset not having a manual. I certainly do not regret my purchase decision. Both of my previous "sporty" cars were manuals (a Trans Am and a BMW 335i).

I currently own a Honda Civic SI 2008 model and have been driving that bad boy for the past 11 years. Anybody else get rid of their stick shift car for a Tesla? I was planning on getting another stick car (VW Arteon), but seeing how two of my coworkers love their Tesla so much, I jumped on the bandwagon. Do you guys miss driving stick? Or is the Tesla that awesome?
I drove a Honda CR-V with a stick for almost 20 years before getting Wattney. 99.99% of the time, I loved the control and power a manual transmission gave. [Exception: My all-time least-fun experience in this car was clutching my way up the uphill part of Lombard Street in San Francisco in heavy stop-and-go traffic to show a visitor the famous downhill part.]

Aside from the fact that driving a stick made me used to popping in the clutch and coasting, which doesn't work with regen in a Tesla, and thus required a bit of re-learning, I love this car. The control and power that I loved are still there, only better. The power is continuous since there is no transmission--no little gap while you change gears. And it is so responsive!

Do it. Do it now.

Did I mention I love this car?

For me, a single speed EV is about as good as it gets. No concern over bad auto transmission logic, no syncro or clutch wear, its always in the right gear without effort. Being able to leave from a stop effortlessly, and always having the flexibility to just hammer and go is key. I do kinda like a nice smooth shift now and then, but its only nice with no traffic and everything's warmed up. On a daily commute, the Model 3 is vastly superior. I assume you don't get harsh winters over there, but most 'sporty' cars drive like garbage when its double digit negatives, and it can take 30-60 minutes to be smooth.

I drove an STi for 14 years. I do not miss the shifting or the (considerable) engine noise at all.

The regen allows me full control over my speed and substitutes very well for engine braking with a manual.

I also feel more engaged when driving the Tesla than when driving an automatic (a common complaint for manual transmission drivers going to automatic transmissions).

No regrets. Always forward. It’s better than a manual transmission in my view.

Last edited:
I drove an STi for 14 years. I do not miss the shifting or the (considerable) engine noise at all.

The regen allows me full control over my speed and substitutes very well for engine braking with a manual.

I also feel more engaged when driving the Tesla than when driving an automatic (a common complaint for manual transmission drivers going to automatic transmissions).

No regrets. Always forward.
It's hard to describe but you do feel very connected to the road. A buddy who is into bikes says it's a similar feeling.

No regrets. Always forward.
2008 STi for 12 years. Stage 2 performance. Killer exhaust note. The car was as pristine as it could be with 170k miles on the ODO. The regen of the EV is the closest you'll get to engine braking in an automatic. I've driven varying dual-clutch, CVTs and the like and there's nothing that compares.

Only thing I truly miss is that Subaru AWD. Winters just won't be the same.

LxiFwOa.jpg

Joined the BEV club after driving manual cars all my life (1st gen Toyota Celica, 1st gen VW GTI, 1st gen CRX Si, Nissan Maxima, E60 BMW 550). Yes I miss driving a manual. But I love driving the Model 3 way more than what I miss. And, when I want to drive manual, I still have the Maxima, or I can borrow my f-in-laws 63 Corvette.