Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Manufacturing Issues on my Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All

Got my M3 delivery beginning of Feb. The following is what I am seeing

- too many scratches all over the body
- the top glass above the head is not aligned with the front and back windshield. SC tech says these are laid by hand and there can be difference between vehicles. Is it true? I want to have this escalated to their manufacturing head. How do I get their attention?
- I feel road noise is high. How do we identify if this is due to the seal or is it expected behavior?
- the marker for the gear-shift is on a plastic cover and is held by a double sided tape. The marker gets loose over the course of the day and I invariably have to press it hard to form a even surface

Has any one seen this in your model3? How do I raise visibility to Tesla manufacturing?

I think you meant to title this thread 'Problems with MY Model 3', yes?
Hi All

Were those scratches there when you took delivery? If there were 'too many', did you document that as something that would need to be fixed?

- the top glass above the head is not aligned with the front and back windshield. SC tech says these are laid by hand and there can be difference between vehicles. Is it true? I want to have this escalated to their manufacturing head. How do I get their attention?

I'd suggest first starting with the service manager at your store ... that's going to be easier. You can also escalate through your Tesla account.
Screen Shot 2018-02-21 at 1.06.45 PM.png

- I feel road noise is high. How do we identify if this is due to the seal or is it expected behavior?

Perhaps you can ride in someone else's Model 3. There are owners in your area here on the forum.

- the marker for the gear *sugar* is on a plastic cover and is held by a double sided tape. The marker gets loose over the course of the day and I invariably have to press it hard to form a even surface

Has any one seen this in your model3? How do I raise visibility to Tesla manufacturing?

Again, use the escalate feature I mentioned above. But I'm having a hard time envisioning what you're talking about. Could you post a photo?

Hi All

- the marker for the gear *sugar* is on a plastic cover and is held by a double sided tape. The marker gets loose over the course of the day and I invariably have to press it hard to form a even surface

I'm taking delivery of a 3 in the next couple of weeks. Could you post pictures of items 1, 2, and 4 so I can have in mind some things to look out for at delivery?

And, welcome to TMC.

Again, use the escalate feature I mentioned above. But I'm having a hard time envisioning what you're talking about. Could you post a photo?

Here is the picture. The one that has the marking or RND is sitting on a double sided tape, and that is not flushed with the reminder of the lever.

Tesla-Model-3-right-stalk.png

yes I will use the escalate option and see how they respond back

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
i still dont get what you mean? looks fine to me

Ok hard to explain. What I meant to say is that the markings PRND is on a black plastic material which is sitting on the shift lever (thanks to some one who corrected me) on a double sided tape. Yes it is not easy to remove it and you may have to use a pry tool (I recommend you do not do it yourself as you might break it). The black plastic part is not well flushed with the rest of the shift lever

May be I have to take a actual picture from my car to show the uneven surface. Not a big deal but being a QUALITY enthusiast like to see how Tesla addresses this.

As for the glass, that is something I may not be able to show via a picture but I will try my best

Dude!!!! Relax. I was just trying to show the part I was talking about. If a picture from my own cell phone convinces you what I am saying, sure yes I will open that and show you the double sided tape!!!! HAPPY!!!!

Yeah try and ignore some people here, a lot of people cant take any criticism against Tesla as apparently its some sort of personal attack lol.

You got to take it positive that these are constructive feedback.

I'm seeing lots of constructive feedback. I'm unimpressed with couple posts dismissing of "troll", I'll give you that. I expect months of actual trolls wandering through have some jaded and defaulting to an unhelpful stance. :( Perhaps some understanding on your part, as well? EDIT: Or just ignore the noise and keep on keeping on. *shrug*

Now, onto the meat of things:

Ok hard to explain. What I meant to say is that the markings PRND is on a black plastic material which is sitting on the shift lever (thanks to some one who corrected me) on a double sided tape. Yes it is not easy to remove it and you may have to use a pry tool (I recommend you do not do it yourself as you might break it). The black plastic part is not well flushed with the rest of the shift lever

So it is partially loose and doesn't always line up flush? Or doesn't move and it never lines up where you think it should?

EDIT: Since that's not a photo of your vehicle, would you mind taking a picture of the actual supposed issue and posting it next time you're in the vehicle? Shouldn't be too hard, you'll have your phone with you after all. ;)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: C141medic

May be I have to take a actual picture from my car to show the uneven surface. Not a big deal but being a QUALITY enthusiast like to see how Tesla addresses this.

As for the glass, that is something I may not be able to show via a picture but I will try my best

myM3, please do share pics of your car with us of all three of the visual issues you mentioned.

I'm unimpressed with couple posts dismissing of "troll", I'll give you that. I expect months of actual trolls wandering through have some jaded and defaulting to an unhelpful stance. :( Perhaps some understanding on your part, as well? *shrug*

Part jadedness, part practice. If you see it enough, it's not hard to notice the telltale signs.

It would have been so easy, and much more clear and helpful, to take a pic with his smartphone. Instead, he confused everybody more by posting a screengrab from M3OC. It's a classic obfuscation tactic to keep bumping the FUDster post title by causing well-meaning member to ask questions to help clear up the issue.

We're (and now I'm) doing his work for him.

There's no way Tesla would stick a piece of plastic onto the gear stock with two-sided tape just to correct a labeling issue.

If I'm wrong, I will gladly apologize. But, again, this post stinks to high heaven.

Reactions: wnorris
Part jadedness, part practice. If you see it enough, it's not hard to notice the telltale signs.
....If I'm wrong, I will gladly apologize. But, again, this post stinks to high heaven.

Perhaps. However I'll argue that setting alight the occasional false positives, because there really are people that are not great communicators and are confused, is ultimately the worse outcome.

If myM3 is a troll, us asking questions is plenty of rope enough for them to do themselves in shortly. Now if you'll excuse me I need to go run a Tin-eye on that shifter stalk photo.

((EDIT: No hits....though curiously I just noticed the file is called "Tesla_right_stalk", that's rather specific terminology given that's not what they called it and not a word mentioned before my post here.....EDIT2: oh wait, that is a linked photo out of a news article from July last year....and I was Ninja'd on finding that. :p))

Last edited:
Perhaps. However I'll argue that setting alight the occasional false positives, because there really are people that are not great communicators and are confused, is ultimately the worse outcome.

If myM3 is a troll, us asking questions is plenty of rope enough for them to do themselves in shortly. Now if you'll excuse me I need to go run a Tin-eye on that shifter stalk photo. ((EDIT: No hits....though curiously I just noticed the file is called "Tesla_right_stalk", that's rather specific terminology given that's not what they called it and not a word mentioned before my post here.))

Found it here.

Tesla Model 3 Control Stalks, Keycard, App, Windshield Wipers ... (Model 3 Owners Club Deep Dive Part 3) | CleanTechnica