Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Manufacturing Issues on my Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has any one seen this in your model3? How do I raise visibility to Tesla manufacturing?

How is it driving? Do you like it? or are you stuck with the gear shifter and not able to move past it?

I understand even a strand of fiber sticking out of the floor mat can be clumped into 'Car manufacturing defect'. I think people take exception to the broad brush title of 'Manufacturing defect' when so far we have seen only a peeling label.

Reactions: bhzmark and T34ME
How is it driving? Do you like it? or are you stuck with the gear shifter and not able to move past it?

I understand even a strand of fiber sticking out of the floor mat can be clumped into 'Car manufacturing defect'. I think people take exception to the broad brush title of 'Manufacturing defect' when so far we have seen only a peeling label.

Are you a owner of Model3? and have you seen one or have you driven one?

How is it driving?
Driving wise I am just impressed with the power. The engineering behind this is just amazing. I can feel the thrust and the feel is unparalleled!!!

Do you like it!!!. Yes I do, but I pay very close attention to QC and a quality geek. This is not a toy as the price I have paid is not small!!!

or are you stuck with the gear shifter and not able to move past it?
Kiddish question. Why makes you feel that I am stuck.

It is not peeling label only!!!! I do see tons of scratches and the SC did account this and they tried to buff it. That is not what I was looking for. The scratches are all over (most was on the frunk lid). Note it is not easy to see and you need to pay close attention. If you are ok to have scratches and live with it on a brand new car you pay from your hard earned or made thru RCU or lottery and don't care then STOP RIGHT THERE.

The top is split into three glass sections (front wind shield, top and rear wind shield). On my car the middle glass is not aligned to the front and rear. I see about 1-2mm sinking in on one side and another protruding up. The SC said this is expected as the glass is hand laid to the frame. The rubber sealing is not well tucked and that is of some concern to me. Will it leak water. I am not sure. Should I test it, yes I will. Will see how the seals handle the water.

Why makes you feel that I am stuck.

Well you certainly sounded stuck, to the point of using ALLCAPS. Now though it's confusing as you aren't bothering to respond to queries for much needed clarification, as your descriptions so far don't line up and you are coming off sounding as though you are a catfish. Not a situation that you claim it to be.

Popping out to your car and snapping a quick picture would be very helpful in this regard. Surely you'll do this as you are here seeking help, rather than here just to wind up people.

Reactions: erthquake
Yeah try and ignore some people here, a lot of people cant take any criticism against Tesla as apparently its some sort of personal attack lol.

It was the same 20 years ago with Apple, and still the same with Apple to some extent today. Companies that build products to elicit emotional responses will get them, for better and for worse.

Unfortunately, it is also the case that a good number of bad actors have come to TMC for the sole purpose of sowing misinformation and division in the community. Most only post for awhile and then run, but others occasionally resurface. When tens of billions of dollars and big industry egos are at risk, people on all sides get angry and lash out. I've watched some TSLA bulls and bears make fortunes... and seen others brought to the brink of financial ruin. Thus, many of the worst aspects of people are revealed.

Thanks. Looks like you are taking this as an assault on Tesla. What is wrong in saying what I see? So what are you trying to tell, accept and live and do not complain?

Seems like there is no scope for improvement in this channel!!!
Shooting the messenger is an art form here. I no longer have a dog in this fight but check in occasionally because of an interest in human psychology. What's the opposite of troll? "Shill" perhaps. You may need 15,000 posts to be believed here. I know of others with the concern of the roof. Try an automatic car wash to test.

• Disagree
Reactions: m34me and erthquake
Thanks. Looks like you are taking this as an assault on Tesla. What is wrong in saying what I see? So what are you trying to tell, accept and live and do not complain?

Seems like there is no scope for improvement in this channel!!!

If you were to go to your car right now, snag a photo, and post pics of your problem, maybe you'd get better reception to your issues? Just going out on a limb here.

Do you like it!!!. Yes I do, but I pay very close attention to QC and a quality geek. This is not a toy as the price I have paid is not small!!!
You appear to be obsessed with details and there is nothing wrong with that. Tesla will never be able to reach the level of perfection you require. It is a car, not a fine scientific instrument. If you can't live with 1 mm ( 1/32 inch) imperfections, it is better to sell your car and you will be happier.......and so will Tesla.

[snip...]

The top is split into three glass sections (front wind shield, top and rear wind shield). On my car the middle glass is not aligned to the front and rear. I see about 1-2mm sinking in on one side and another protruding up. The SC said this is expected as the glass is hand laid to the frame. The rubber sealing is not well tucked and that is of some concern to me. Will it leak water. I am not sure. Should I test it, yes I will. Will see how the seals handle the water.

for context, some words from Infiniti lead designer Alfonso Albasia in a January 2017 Autoguide.com interview,

“Our body sculpting is very, very tight,” Albaisa says, noting that the panel gaps in the Q60 are no bigger than 3.6 millimeters wide, which he says is “best in the business.”

The One Tiny Detail the Best Car Designers Obsess Over » AutoGuide.com News

I don't know if your car is representative of Model 3 production or not, but, if it is, to my view, it sounds like a big step up from S and X, rather than a manufacturing issue.

fwiw, such a big step up by Tesla with regard to the 3s build quality vs prior vehicles would be consistent with many comments here on TMC from members who've owned an S or X and now have a 3.

Reactions: 03DSG and erthquake
any ways jokes apart
Here are the pictures. I am not expecting any solution from any one here

IMG_8904.jpg

IMG_8907.jpg

IMG_8898.jpg

any ways jokes apart
Here are the pictures. I am not expecting any solution from any one here

View attachment 282029
View attachment 282027

View attachment 282028

Thanks for posting these myM3.

fwiw, without the context of something like a ruler, or simply a finger, for scale in the pictures of the roof, my brain imagines from these photos that the gaps are several times larger than the 1-2 mm you described them to be upthread (particularly in the second photo).

I'm still not really clear about the gear stalk sticker... does it just not feel just right and even to the touch, or are you having to actually press it back into its adhered position?

Reactions: pdxrob
mod note:
Amended title to specify a single owner's issues. Also moved posts to snippiness. Calling someone a "troll" is an ad hominem attack, just as calling enthusiasts "fan-boys" or saying they "drink the Kool-Aid" is. This is against the Terms and Rules of this site, and it's also not the way to form a welcoming or collaborative community.

If members have concerns about the validity of a poster, you may ask questions nicely, or if you have serious concerns, you may report posts or message a moderator. You may not name call.

non-mod note:
When the Model S and X were being delivered at first, these kinds of reports were shared on this site. I had quite a few I shared of my X. New members discussed their issues as well. We didn't snap off at them. Let's not make the Model 3 community different than those, OK? We were supportive of each other and Tesla got most of us right with our cars. I promise, it's an incredibly more pleasant place to visit when everyone acts that way. Problem users exist and eventually show themselves, but you can't just jump on someone because they're new.

FWIW, I earnestly apologize to you and the rest of the community for rushing to judgment and doubting you, myM3. Your photos are very helpful for clearing things up. If my car had those issues, I would also want them corrected by the service center.

With the gear stalk, it might be that the two-sided (foam?) tape was not aligned properly and/or might have a ripple in it.

I believe Tesla will correct those issues, but keep us posted how it goes for you.

Again, mea culpa.

Last edited: