Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Map Editing and Forcing a Refresh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My neighborhood is very new. When I got my Model 3 in February it didn't know most of the roads near my house. I realized quickly that the maps come from Google, so I added all of the nearby streets to Google maps.

Side Note: To do this for yourself
  1. Go to maps.google.com in a browser
  2. Make sure you're signed in with a Google account
  3. Click on the Menu (3 horizontal lines)
  4. Click on Send Feedback
  5. Click on Missing Road
  6. Draw the road
  7. Provide details about the road (including the name)
  8. Wait for around 3 - 5 days while Google reviews your submission

I was able to add all of the roads in my neighborhood and all of the roads showed up in the Model 3. Well, all of them except two. Two tiny little roads which I wouldn't normally care about, except they're part of the primary route I take in and out of the neighborhood! And without them there, the car won't route me that way.

Until yesterday I figured this must be a problem with Google not making some updates available to the car. But last night while driving home I stopped on that little unmarked portion of the map and I happened to zoom in. Lo and behold, there was part of the update peeking through! But only when zoomed all the way in, and only a portion of the road. Zoom back out and the update is missing. I actually captured a photo of the issue:

MapIssue-C.jpg

Now, if you know about mapping you may know that map servers (like Google maps) are also known as "tile servers". This is because they break the whole world down into a set of "tiles" that load as you enter an area. It appears that some of the updated tiles were downloaded to the car but not all of them.

Does anyone know a way to force the car to refresh cached tile data from Google maps?

Thanks!

Our son & his wife had the same issue at their new home development. Took a couple of weeks and multiple submissions to Google Maps to actually put them into Google Maps. I believe for the Tesla Navigation to use them you need updated Tesla Navigation map downloads... which don't download in real time but in batches.

Only suggestion in the meantime is patience... and resubmitting to Google Maps team and Tesla Support.

Our son & his wife had the same issue at their new home development. Took a couple of weeks and multiple submissions to Google Maps to actually put them into Google Maps. I believe for the Tesla Navigation to use them you need updated Tesla Navigation map downloads... which don't download in real time but in batches.

Only suggestion in the meantime is patience... and resubmitting to Google Maps team and Tesla Support.

I wonder if a factory reset would flush them?

Well eventually an update should flush them. But I’m not sure if maps are “incrementally” updated.

What does maps.google.com show?

How long did it take from when you submitted to when it showed a change in your car? Maybe you could submit a refinement ;)

What does maps.google.com show?

It shows all of the updates and has shown them for several weeks now.

How long did it take from when you submitted to when it showed a change in your car?

The moment they showed up in Google Maps I was able to see them in the car but only partially. For example, if I look at road view I only see the new roads when I'm zoomed all the way in. And even then it shows the road partially cut off (see the photo in the OP). If I zoom out, the roads are gone.

But here's something interesting I just realized last night. If I view things in satellite view, the roads are all there!

MissingStreets.jpg
StreetsSatellite.jpg

But even though the roads are there, the car flat refuses to navigate on them. Check out this beautiful routing:

SillyRoute.jpg

Finally, when I zoomed all the way into satellite view last night I found the most interesting clue of them all:

RoadCut.jpg

Google Maps sees the new road, but there's something in the mapping software here clearly showing it doesn't think the road continues through.

It's super frustrating. I understand that map updates require a lot of data. I understand these should be offline maps. But c'mon Tesla, could you please give me a way to update a known out-of-date area?

It shows all of the updates and has shown them for several weeks now.

The moment they showed up in Google Maps I was able to see them in the car but only partially. For example, if I look at road view I only see the new roads when I'm zoomed all the way in. And even then it shows the road partially cut off (see the photo in the OP). If I zoom out, the roads are gone.

But here's something interesting I just realized last night. If I view things in satellite view, the roads are all there!

View attachment 404146 View attachment 404148

But even though the roads are there, the car flat refuses to navigate on them. Check out this beautiful routing:

View attachment 404150

Finally, when I zoomed all the way into satellite view last night I found the most interesting clue of them all:

View attachment 404151

Google Maps sees the new road, but there's something in the mapping software here clearly showing it doesn't think the road continues through.

It's super frustrating. I understand that map updates require a lot of data. I understand these should be offline maps. But c'mon Tesla, could you please give me a way to update a known out-of-date area?
Are you not seeing/believing the posts correctly informing you that the car does not use Google Maps for routing? It only uses it for displaying maps and routes, not for doing the actual routing. You can make corrections to Google Maps all you want and it will have no effect on routing.

Are you not seeing/believing the posts correctly informing you that the car does not use Google Maps for routing? It only uses it for displaying maps and routes, not for doing the actual routing. You can make corrections to Google Maps all you want and it will have no effect on routing.

I AM believing that, which is why I've been posting evidence that supports it.

However it still doesn't change me wanting the issue corrected. And even if Google maps is only used for display, that doesn't explain why streets are shown in satellite view but not stree view. Or why they are shown at some zoom levels but not others.

Do you have anything you'd like to contribute to that portion of the discussion?

I AM believing that, which is why I've been posting evidence that supports it.

However it still doesn't change me wanting the issue corrected. And even if Google maps is only used for display, that doesn't explain why streets are shown in satellite view but not stree view. Or why they are shown at some zoom levels but not others.

Do you have anything you'd like to contribute to that portion of the discussion?
Nope. Sorry for my inability to read your mind. :cool: