Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

March Budget 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So someone please clarify I got mine 30th Sept 2019 (over the 40k) will I get a rebate from april onwards for the remainder of the 2019-2020 year from April and then be VED free from then on or am I still liable for VED unless I SORN and start again ?.

So someone please clarify I got mine 30th Sept 2019 (over the 40k) will I get a rebate from april onwards for the remainder of the 2019-2020 year from April and then be VED free from then on or am I still liable for VED unless I SORN and start again ?.
I think you will need to SORN to initiate the refund, then Re tax at the new rate (0).

• Disagree
Reactions: CMc1
If you bought your car new surely you’ve not paid any VED, and it won’t be due until 1 September 2020?

Reactions: CMc1 and drewpost
If you bought your car new surely you’ve not paid any VED, and it won’t be due until 1 September 2020?

In my case the car is a Tesla demonstrator. Sold from new car stock system. Not sure if strictly speaking I should have paid tax or not. Any way, I did even though car only 6 months old.

Any way, obviously possible refund doesn't apply if you didn't pay tax in the first place.

Don't panic. I had the same wobbles for a couple of hours - I collect Monday.

Yes, it has been confirmed by a phonecall to Tesla, in a post elsewhere.

In accordance with the goverment PIVG User Guidance Manual - Tesla applies for the PIVG (£3500 grant), on the gov portal, for the car once it has been ordered and they have a contract to tie it to a customer. So anyone who has already ordered a Tesla will get the grant

Reactions: J8JOE
Don't panic. I had the same wobbles for a couple of hours - I collect Monday.

Yes, it has been confirmed by a phonecall to Tesla, in a post elsewhere.

In accordance with the goverment PIVG User Guidance Manual - Tesla applies for the PIVG (£3500 grant), on the gov portal, for the car once it has been ordered and they have a contract to tie it to a customer. So anyone who has already ordered a Tesla will get the grant

I wonder whether they need to have allocated the car to register? If you have your vin then great, but what about the others? Probably a rhetorical question as the rules and Teslas efficiency in such things can both be open to question

I wonder whether they need to have allocated the car to register? If you have your vin then great, but what about the others? Probably a rhetorical question as the rules and Teslas efficiency in such things can both be open to question
I ended up with two cars in the system but both had been entered into the government portal, the first of which has not even started to be built yet - they could register as soon as you completed the minimal paperwork (licence scan etc) and then had 9 months from then to actually deliver a vehicle.

Reactions: Durzel and Harv3y
Maybe going back over old ground already covered here but to confirm: i just paid my first VED payment for my Model S (2nd year of ownership) in January. Is the thinking i should declare it SORN on 1 April and immediately re-tax at the new zero rate and I should then be given a pro-rata refund?

They only need to enter a VIN onto the portal. The car itself doesn't need to have been built yet.

The first part of the VIN contains the manufacturer and model, where it was built and which year, eg Tesla, Model 3, LR, 2020. It is only the last 6 digits that change for each individual car. Hence Tesla have all the VINs they need already, so it is easy for them to pair a VIN and customer.