Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Marina del Rey Delivery Center -- Experience and Impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ForeverFree

Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2015
Sherman Oaks, CA
Location -- A
Obviously less convenient for us than local SC here in Valley. However, it is a wonderful one. Right at a Marina Freeway on/off ramp. And only a mile from the 405.

Concept -- A
Our local SC is stellar when it comes to service and support. A big reason why we bought a Tesla ... and now another. But delivery ... eh.

Having a dedicated, high-volume space, staffed with folks who do nothing but deliveries = economies of scale in action. The specialized approach just works better.

In addition, dedicated delivery centers, coupled with expanded Ranger service, achieve the important strategic goal of providing breathing room to SCs as the Model 3 onslaught is unleashed.

Facility -- A
Spectacular. Huge. High-grade. Comfortable couched. Baristically caffeinated. And theatrically lit in the delivery bays.

Staff -- A
Young folks, most with professional degrees, whose mission alignment (and stock ownership) leave them genuinely excited about sharing Tesla's creations with new owners.

Cars -- A
No need to wonder any more whether the factory is starting to churn out Model 3s in volume.

Document-Signing Process -- A-
As "That's all there is?" as ever, compared with ICE dealers. Would be simpler still if California didn't require dealers, including Tesla, to carry out a paper dance that re-traverses much of the ground already handled on line.

Handover and Orientation -- A+
Even in a place filled with bright, enthusiastic, friendly, helpful, mission-driven people, Dante stood out. Young, but has lived all over the world and gained considerable perspective on The Things That Matter.

Spent almost two hours with us, making sure that all was right, that we understood everything, and that critical things such as phone-key set-up were complete and working perfectly.

Tailored his presentation to start from our existing Tesla foundation rather than square one. Guided us through unique Model 3 features and key differences.

Knew a lot about the vehicle ... but recognized we did, too (thank you, TMC, Teslarati, and Electrek!) and was comfortable learning from us as well as teaching us. Partnership and mutual respect, not condescension. The perfect approach for an early-days orientation of long-time Teslans.

Most importantly, recognized that this was an important moment for us ... at a momentous time for Tesla. Shared our excitement. Took great pictures. And, even wrapped up with a key-card handover ceremony with my wife.

Exactly he type of young, bright, enthusiast that Tesla needs. And, someone whom I intend to point out to those I know in top Tesla management!

fullsizeoutput_90d6.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_90d7.jpeg
Oq46HGZ6TsiCINg3vk8bbg.jpg
rQjOqcUiQyihxm81I7SmLw.jpg
mdgPBTb2TDiw38Jr4HLPIg.jpg
fullsizeoutput_90de.jpeg

Location -- A
Obviously less convenient for us than local SC here in Valley. However, it is a wonderful one. Right at a Marina Freeway on/off ramp. And only a mile from the 405.

Concept -- A
Our local SC is stellar when it comes to service and support. A big reason why we bought a Tesla ... and now another. But delivery ... eh.

Having a dedicated, high-volume space, staffed with folks who do nothing but deliveries = economies of scale in action. The specialized approach just works better.

In addition, dedicated delivery centers, coupled with expanded Ranger service, achieve the important strategic goal of providing breathing room to SCs as the Model 3 onslaught is unleashed.

Facility -- A
Spectacular. Huge. High-grade. Comfortable couched. Baristically caffeinated. And theatrically lit in the delivery bays.

Staff -- A
Young folks, most with professional degrees, whose mission alignment (and stock ownership) leave them genuinely excited about sharing Tesla's creations with new owners.

Cars -- A
No need to wonder any more whether the factory is starting to churn out Model 3s in volume.

Document-Signing Process -- A-
As "That's all there is?" as ever, compared with ICE dealers. Would be simpler still if California didn't require dealers, including Tesla, to carry out a paper dance that re-traverses much of the ground already handled on line.

Handover and Orientation -- A+
Even in a place filled with bright, enthusiastic, friendly, helpful, mission-driven people, Dante stood out. Young, but has lived all over the world and gained considerable perspective on The Things That Matter.

Spent almost two hours with us, making sure that all was right, that we understood everything, and that critical things such as phone-key set-up were complete and working perfectly.

Tailored his presentation to start from our existing Tesla foundation rather than square one. Guided us through unique Model 3 features and key differences.

Knew a lot about the vehicle ... but recognized we did, too (thank you, TMC, Teslarati, and Electrek!) and was comfortable learning from us as well as teaching us. Partnership and mutual respect, not condescension. The perfect approach for an early-days orientation of long-time Teslans.

Most importantly, recognized that this was an important moment for us ... at a momentous time for Tesla. Shared our excitement. Took great pictures. And, even wrapped up with a key-card handover ceremony with my wife.

Exactly he type of young, bright, enthusiast that Tesla needs. And, someone whom I intend to point out to those I know in top Tesla management!

View attachment 269957 View attachment 269958 View attachment 269959 View attachment 269960 View attachment 269961 View attachment 269962
I'm going to feel a bit cheated missing out on this delivery experience since I'll likely be taking delivery at home. But I have a feeling that the excitement of finally actually having it will make me forget about it pretty quickly. Maybe they'll make a delivery area at Gigafactory 2. But I'm not counting on it with NYS politicians being owned by dealerships plus I'm not sure there'll be enough deliveries in this area to even justify it.

I'm going to feel a bit cheated missing out on this delivery experience since I'll likely be taking delivery at home. But I have a feeling that the excitement of finally actually having it will make me forget about it pretty quickly. Maybe they'll make a delivery area at Gigafactory 2. But I'm not counting on it with NYS politicians being owned by dealerships plus I'm not sure there'll be enough deliveries in this area to even justify it.

Home's even better! No need for a $$ Uber ride in traffic ...

BTW, as a Miami native ... and still-suffering Dolphins fan, good luck tomorrow!