Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market politics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, southern school kids wearing black paint while taunting black players

covington-crazies.jpg

FACT CHECK: Is This Picture from a Covington Catholic High School Basketball Game?

• Disagree
Reactions: Cheburashka
Hmm, southern school kids wearing black paint while taunting black players

covington-crazies.jpg

FACT CHECK: Is This Picture from a Covington Catholic High School Basketball Game?
This is how fake news is made. No context. I’ll give a little context since I am familiar. The sports league CovCath plays in is very competitive. School spirit is very strong at most schools in the league and they have large cheering sections for sporting events. Especially for big games. Sometimes there are whiteouts, blackouts, or whatever color they want to make for that particular game. This is for high school spirit. Sports are big in the Midwest. Some kids paint their bodies. There are pictures of them in all blue too, some painted blue. That is a photo taken completely out of context and made to try to fit a narrative. Frankly, JRP3 what can you tell me about this school and community from a personal standpoint? Have you been there? Do you know people there? Why did you not know about this school spirit tradition? Keep in mind these kids were in DC for a field trip and to be a part of the March For Life. People that think they are smarter and on a moral higher ground than everybody else think they have a right to destroy anybody, even children. Disgusting.
2018-03-18-KHSAA-BASKETBALL-CHAMPIONS-0268.jpg

Last edited:
Are you really going to pretend that in the 21st century, especially in the south, that there is no awareness of the inflammatory potential of wearing black face paint, with white highlights around the eyes and mouth? It's a dumb move and it's stupid of the parents and and advisors to allow and/or encourage it.

This is how fake news is made. No context.

Except the link I provided did provide context and did in fact describe the "black out" games to support "team spirit". However I do remember that when I was in school somehow we managed to support our high school team without face or body painting of any kind. Again it just shows poor judgement on the part of the adults influencing these kids, poor judgement which seems rampant among Trump supporters.

Are you really going to pretend that in the 21st century, especially in the south, that there is no awareness of the inflammatory potential of wearing black face paint, with white highlights around the eyes and mouth? It's a dumb move and it's stupid of the parents and and advisors to allow and/or encourage it.

Except the link I provided did provide context and did in fact describe the "black out" games to support "team spirit". However I do remember that when I was in school somehow we managed to support our high school team without face or body painting of any kind. Again it just shows poor judgement on the part of the adults influencing these kids, poor judgement which seems rampant among Trump supporters.
You know it is a mixed race school. Kids of all backgrounds participate. Also, you keep saying a school in the South. You are trying too hard to turn this into something it is not. Covington is across the Ohio River from Cincinnati. That is not the South. You do not know the context of this story and it shows. You are the equivalent of a reporter pushing a false narrative about Tesla. Also, these are kids whose lives are now turned upside down because of these false narratives. Do you have a heart? Please do not post these false articles/narratives about kids that you do not know.

Yeah, I came down hard on those kids when I saw the first video. When you hear the whole story you really start to believe that the media is out to manipulate and lie.
Another video with no context, but I’ll admit that child should not have said that. Sounds like the sense of humor of a teenager. Those children overall behaved extremely well considering the circumstances.

Full disclosure: I know that school and community fairly well. I see some of those Twitter comments saying hateful things and they could not be further from the truth.

At what point does it become irrefutable that these are the new Adolf youths and that MAGA is the new swatstika?

If you haven't watched "The Sound of Music", you should, and pay attention to young Rolf. He was impressionable and was doing what he thought was right. As much as it was a work of fiction, it was a period fiction and was based on facts of the time.

Those youths were practicing racism (the boy's smirk says more about his thoughts than any words can - he thought he was superior to Mr. Philips and was looking down on him) and their guardians aren't recognizing it. Youths committing wrongs can be forgiven, but still need to be taught when they've done something wrong.

You know it is a mixed race school. Kids of all backgrounds participate. Also, you keep saying a school in the South. You are trying too hard to turn this into something it is not. Covington is across the Ohio River from Cincinnati. That is not the South. You do not know the context of this story and it shows. You are the equivalent of a reporter pushing a false narrative about Tesla. Also, these are kids whose lives are now turned upside down because of these false narratives. Do you have a heart? Please do not post these false articles/narratives about kids that you do not know.

I'm sorry for those poor mixed-race kids who had to keep quiet in a predominantly white school. Both pictures show only young white males participating in the "school-spirit". What you fail to see is that people in the minority keep their mouths shut about wrong-doings so that they don't stand out. The smaller the minority population, the greater the likelihood that they're being mistreated and are keeping quiet about it.

You don't need to be a racist to NOT recognize that it is happening.

Why don't you answer this question

I'm sorry for those poor mixed-race kids who had to keep quiet in a predominantly white school. Both pictures show only young white males participating in the "school-spirit". What you fail to see is that people in the minority keep their mouths shut about wrong-doings so that they don't stand out. The smaller the minority population, the greater the likelihood that they're being mistreated and are keeping quiet about it.

You don't need to be a racist to NOT recognize that it is happening.
Have you ever been to the Cincinnati tri-state area? Have you ever heard of Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railroad? Have you seen the Underground Railroad Freedom Center? The Underground Railroad ran to Cincinnati (right across the river from Covington). There is a rich history of the Cincinnati tri-state area helping slaves escape and the Freedom Center is there as a symbol of it. Honestly though, have you been to this area? What personal experience do you have with these people to corroborate your theory? You are ironically making superficial judgements on people you do not know and accusing them of doing exactly what you are doing.

Reactions: Cheburashka
When I was in high school I was not aware of it. I was thinking about girls and passing tests. And not about the social implications of a kid painting his face black at a basketball game. Again, it is not the South. This is a made up narrative. It does not exist like you would like it to be. Was Jimmy Kimmel aware of it?
Ded1i9cWAAI3SJT.jpg
Probably and it was wrong when he did it.

Have you ever been to the Cincinnati tri-state area? Have you ever heard of Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railroad? Have you seen the Underground Railroad Freedom Center? The Underground Railroad ran to Cincinnati (right across the river from Covington). There is a rich history of the Cincinnati tri-state area helping slaves escape and the Freedom Center is there as a symbol of it. Honestly though, have you been to this area? What personal experience do you have with these people to corroborate your theory? You are ironically making superficial judgements on people you do not know and accusing them of doing exactly what you are doing.

I'm a minority living in America. I've met enough nice people throughout the country (Illinois, Indiana, Georgia, Virginia, etc) to know that most people don't want to be _intentionally_ racist. The view is very different when one is on the receiving end. The only factor that affected people's ability to interact inter-racially is when the general population doesn't have a majority race. Even when everyone's a minority though, there will still be some who think they're from some kind of master race, but at least it's not tolerated as "boys being boys".

Reactions: The Blue Owl
When I was in high school I was not aware of it. I was thinking about girls and passing tests. And not about the social implications of a kid painting his face black at a basketball game. Again, it is not the South. This is a made up narrative. It does not exist like you would like it to be. Was Jimmy Kimmel aware of it?
Ded1i9cWAAI3SJT.jpg
I grew up In the Midwest in the 70's I knew then that black face was something that had a negative connotation. I am not one to get upset about Halloween costumes or even the random joke that is told in poor taste. But to not be aware of the effect one has on others is something I find strange in our society. If kids in high school don't know the history of race and how wearing "blackface" is perceived then the adult's certainly should.

Blackface - Wikipedia

To blindly ignore that Trump has made open racism OK in this country again is, well, purposeful blind ignorance.

Sorry HeartLand, I was following you with how the DC videos played out. Troublemakers (not the Native American or the school kids) taunting the MAGA kids, Native American slowly walking up and getting in the kid's face with the tom tom. Kid holding his ground and doing nothing (not sure I would have been so cool with anyone, of any color or background, purposefully getting up in my face beating on a tom tom) and no fight starting. There was enough blame to go around and it is simply another example of how management is lighting the fuse of a powder keg..

HL, please return to your HL values. Look at both sides and THINK. Sure media is biased. I am biased. We all are. That is why we have filters to properly process all that hits us on a daily basis. Just because more of it hits us faster these days, that does not remove your responsibility to consume, digest and come to reasonable conclusions.

I swear it almost feels like its Puty in a Trump suit. What more could our enemy want than a separation from our European allies, the desolation of NATO, sanctions lifted and all of us at each other's throats?

Reactions: jbcarioca
@Heart Land
This is how fake news is made. .......No context. .........Keep in mind these kids were in DC for a field trip and to be a part of the March For Life. .............moral high ground
this is not quite the place to discuss, but basically
the "march for life" is a patriarchy way of controlling "lady bits" so they can be "barefoot and preggers" in a dystopian world
so please leave "moral high ground" out of the discussion.
if you wish to further discuss , we can go offline

Belonging to an organization that is literally the single largest criminal conspiracy in the history of the world to enable and promote child molestation while claiming the moral high ground is a bit tough for me to swallow.

If those students, or any other Catholic for that matter, are truly concerned about moral high ground they would stop every single penny from funding said conspiracy. No money, no fancy gilded city in Italy with old dudes running around in fancy white dress figuring out how to breed more Catholics by controlling lady parts but you do get to shut down child molestation protection thus allowing law enforcement to prosecute the offenders. That's a good trade in my moral what to do handbook.

Heart Land..... come on buddy. If you are going to talk moral high ground, you really have to take a wider view.

To be clear the Covington kid had every right to stand there and smirk, and wear a maga hat or anything else he wants to. At the same time people have every right to react negatively to it. Openly supporting an extremely unpopular president who foments divisiveness is going to get a negative reaction from many.

Reactions: traxila
MODERATOR:

In contradistinction to the stated policies of TMC, we have - with great awareness that the decision to do so was fraught with the strong potential for creating more divisiveness than understanding and empathy - enabled and hosted and, yes, participated in - a
MARKET Politics thread.
This is not and must not be allowed to be a "Societal" Politics thread, or an "Historical" Politics thread, or any other such. That is in many ways lamentable, as there are a commendably wonderful group of thoughtful, experienced and diverse members in this forum.
Do not try to argue that everything is Market oriented. Rules can be bent but lines will be drawn.

Here endeth the lesson for today.

MODERATOR:

In contradistinction to the stated policies of TMC, we have - with great awareness that the decision to do so was fraught with the strong potential for creating more divisiveness than understanding and empathy - enabled and hosted and, yes, participated in - a
MARKET Politics thread.
This is not and must not be allowed to be a "Societal" Politics thread, or an "Historical" Politics thread, or any other such. That is in many ways lamentable, as there are a commendably wonderful group of thoughtful, experienced and diverse members in this forum.
Do not try to argue that everything is Market oriented. Rules can be bent but lines will be drawn.

Here endeth the lesson for today.
This is indeed what we came here for. The problem we all seem to be having is how to distinguish hiw we should limit ourselves.
It seems to me quite likely that we'll have continuing difficulty, especially because we have different views of causality. That is, for example: were the Trump tax cuts a positive force for TSLA shares in the long term? Possibly if we concentrate on such issues we might have a little less discussion of 'blackface'. As for me I could not comment on that issue and remain polite. OTOH, I managed to work in Saudi Arabia and Iran and not be arrested in either one, so I can be discreet if I must be. I really hope we can keep on the topic of Market Politics. That is difficult enough for this Forum IMHO.

Reactions: BioSehnsucht
At what point does it become irrefutable that these are the new Adolf youths and that MAGA is the new swatstika?

If you haven't watched "The Sound of Music", you should, and pay attention to young Rolf. He was impressionable and was doing what he thought was right. As much as it was a work of fiction, it was a period fiction and was based on facts of the time.

Those youths were practicing racism (the boy's smirk says more about his thoughts than any words can - he thought he was superior to Mr. Philips and was looking down on him) and their guardians aren't recognizing it. Youths committing wrongs can be forgiven, but still need to be taught when they've done something wrong.

@heartland

I kid you not, this was published this morning after my posting: The silence of Nick Sandmann

Notice the second half of the article? That subconscious attitude that "we're better than you" is driving the arrogant and callous behavior that the rest of us views as racist, and people like you refuse to see it.

People are great from their actions, not their attitudes. Claiming greatness on the work of others is arrogance. And those boys were all attitude.

@heartland

I kid you not, this was published this morning after my posting: The silence of Nick Sandmann

Notice the second half of the article? That subconscious attitude that "we're better than you" is driving the arrogant and callous behavior that the rest of us views as racist, and people like you refuse to see it.

People are great from their actions, not their attitudes. Claiming greatness on the work of others is arrogance. And those boys were all attitude.
This is fake news. If you spent some time in this community you would know it. Cincinnati is half minority. Where is their outcry? People in this community are outraged at the coverage and false reporting. That article speaks to a person that makes a lot of assumptions and is not intimately familiar with the people and situation. The press is going to print anything that fits the narrative they want to push. There is more info coming out. There was a separate group of kids not from CovCath. They said some inappropriate things, including “it’s not rape if you like it”. This was not the CovCath kids that said this. Nathan Phillips is not a Vietnam Vet. He is dishonest about his service. He was a refrigerator tech in the marines. He was never deployed and was kicked out twice. He also illegally broke into a church hours after the incident with CovCath.

Kids should be off limits to the fake news. The general public do not know the nuances of the story and are too quick to judge. Kids need some room to make mistakes and learn about life. These kids and their families are not deserving of death threats. If any of you really knew the situation, then it would help you understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.