Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market politics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, that is odd, to say the least. That seems to be working against the best interest of his mission.

I hope it isn't true... I really do... It would make it awfully hard for me to want to purchase another Tesla knowing I'd be putting money into the pockets of the very party that's betrayed this country and enabled a treasonous administration...

Jeff

• Funny
Reactions: defc0n
He is also a major donor to the ACLU. Money buys a seat at the table, and influence. I wouldn't be surprised to find he sprinkles money to many different seemingly opposite causes.
Agree. Come on guys, don't FUD-follow. Opensecrets.org is one place to turn. Check here.
Note that the most recent donations were to Dianne Feinstein and Democratic mid-term victory fund. He also donated to Hillary, not Trump. Looks pretty strategic from a sense of who sits on what committees that SpaceX and/or Tesla would be concerned about.

Reactions: skitown
I can barely understand this but I think it calls into question the validity of the critique of entropic gravity. I'm totally lost in Prigogine's math, however, but you guys, welcome!...

I responded to strangethingintheland (privately so as not to keep it in the investor thread) about the "disproof" of entropic gravity by saying that I found https://arxiv.org/pdf/1109.2794.pdf a convincing refutation of the paper he cited that supposedly refuted entropic gravity. That paper conflates the entropy of the matter contained inside a screen with the entropy on the screen but the two are not the same thing.

• Informative
Reactions: Intl Professor
I responded to strangethingintheland (privately so as not to keep it in the investor thread) about the "disproof" of entropic gravity by saying that I found https://arxiv.org/pdf/1109.2794.pdf a convincing refutation of the paper he cited that supposedly refuted entropic gravity. That paper conflates the entropy of the matter contained inside a screen with the entropy on the screen but the two are not the same thing.
I agree?

Reactions: Intl Professor

As nearly said above, wealthy people and hefty corporations, often donate handsomely to both sides of an issue. I suppose it's like taking options to hedge your bets in the market. We as TSLA owners have a stake in pushing extension of the tax credit which many wish for here. Elon took a $33 million bet in that direction. His contribution would be wasted on Doris Matsui. I help in a somewhat:rolleyes: smaller way. She's a good vote on these issues in any case. Also I imagine an even greater percentage of Space X work is dependent on the Federal Government—40 percent may not be close to the actual amount. Those appropriations are important to those of us who wish him well. Frankly, I think getting to Mars is a looney idea and using the BFR for transport on earth must have an enormous carbon dioxide footprint. But I'm enough of a technologist to have pride in seeing all those things landing smartly on a target after use. So go Elon, do the dirty work you musk, er, must and give an equal amount to the get out the vote campaign for the Dems.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Reactions: neroden
I'm afraid the Republican Party is pay-to-play at this point. It's traditional for CEOs of big corporations to donate small amounts to both parties in order to "get in the door" of certain Congressmen's offices. You can tell which party they actually support because they give a lot more to that party. (ExxonMobil execs routinely donated small amounts to Democrats and large amounts to Republicans.) I can't blame Musk for doing it, unfortunately. The system is corrupt and he can't fix it on his own. I do wonder which specific powerbroker Republican uses this particular PAC as his filter for which lobbyists he talks to, however.

....and looking at OpenSecrets, it's Kevin McCarthy specifically.

• Informative
Reactions: landis
Maybe. I was more liberal then so maybe my viewpoint was skewed. I recall Clinton compromising a lot with Gingrich and Obama not compromising at all with comments like.. election have consequences. I agree. Elections have consequences and so does not comprising. This gets you Trump and losing 1000 seats in government, Nationwide. Not to mention all the judges. So keep calling everyone you disagree with a Nazi so we can have a 1000 year conservative government. Which frankly, I think would not be great. I would prefer something more centrist. But it is what it is.
To expand on this point: Trump feeds off of the hate. The teslove trolling of Linette Lopez was more effective than bashing her, because it focuses on the merits of Tesla without degrading the brand to her yellow journalism. The success of yellow journalism depends on initial interest and engaging the target. Hillary bad or good is mired in a yellow journalism prism. Whether of her own making or not, it doesn’t matter. Democrats or an independent party or onlybgoing to Ein by constructing a vision of the future, making it believable and articulating it in a way that resonates with well educated as well as the base of the Democratic Party, that Hillary rebranded deplorables. Those “common” people who fear for the loss of middle class prerogatives, path to higher education, careers higher income for their kids, a safe environment and managing a transition to a world stage in which America is a peer with China and later this century possibly India or an emerging African superpower.
The world is changing and the parties both lost this election. An independent won the republican primary and election. Regardless of what he is for, no one is going to beat him by branding any or everyone who buys into part of his vision, or just opts out of the current two parties as nazi deplorable sub human.
Humility and decency when challenged is all the more important. I do not like Trump, but he attacks things like drug monopolies that the parties won’t touch. He may not do anything, but he talks about third rail donor issues and that is appealing to voters. A Kasich style independent campaign needs to address those middle class rights that were assumed to be part of our social contract. 100,000 a year for college is a liberal achievement that is blocking access to success. A blind use of college instead of technical schools like Germany uses, for intelligent but not college focused kids, is bipartisan. Medical costs are a ridiculous tax on business and individuals. The 1992/3 republican single payer program probably would have been effective and better than the nothing we got back then and the overly complex ACA. Our military procurement demands the most expensive outcomes and only after program ms are completely bankrupt does anyone step in to make them sustainable. The navy can barely build a ship anymore. Zumwalts are defunct 100 billion rat hole. Aegis hull can’t support modern electrical requirements and we haven’t done a truly successful fighter since the F15.
A lot of these shortcomings are probably normal problems of big government, but it leads to a perception that the government wastes and creates incentives that hurt the middle class and weaken us internationally. Figuring out how to reinspire Americans without fear of foreigners or fear of every American who we disagree with is going to be a tough challenge in 2024. The dems have Hillary running again, which pretty much assures a trump re-election, assuming he’s not impeached. I think if Nixon had this congress he would have served at least two full terms.

He had a seat at the table and gave it up because of principles. This seems to go against his principles.
He has to get access to sell cars and solar power. You have to accept political reality. Getting to sell cars in most states has been a battle royale. Michigan has seen all sorts of skullduggery and Texas too. He needs to lobby and educate people that are inclined against him. For better or worse our political system has depended on contributions since before the founding. William Penn enriching the king, or the Kennedy’s getting cover to sell rum. Politics is tough business and being righteous is not the same as practical. People have to ask if they want to be right, or do they want to get what they want? They are not the same thing. An autocratic liberal opinion is no better than an autocratic conservative opinion. No offense, but we need less take or leave it politics, not more.

Reactions: LargeHamCollider
Status
Not open for further replies.