Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market politics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I read that article in detail. It says nothing at all about the number of bankruptcies. It talks only about the proportion of all bankruptcies remaining roughly constant.

Here's another article that notes that the proportion stayed roughly constant. However it also says:
If medical bills really were driving so many people into bankruptcy, then we would have expected filings to plummet after 2013, when millions of people gained health insurance coverage. Instead we see a smooth decline from the recession-era peak.
(my bolding.) The article is worth a read; it's much more complicated than just claiming that Obamacare did or didn't reduce the number or proportion of bankruptcies, although in fact the raw number did decrease.

Reactions: replicant
I read that article in detail. It says nothing at all about the number of bankruptcies. It talks only about the proportion of all bankruptcies remaining roughly constant.

Here's another article that notes that the proportion stayed roughly constant. However it also says:

(my bolding.) The article is worth a read; it's much more complicated than just claiming that Obamacare did or didn't reduce the number or proportion of bankruptcies, although in fact the raw number did decrease.

And economic conditions improved. It is not a single factor one to one correlation as you are trying to attribute to the ACA.

The younger, the more highly educated in science/maths & the higher the IQ, the higher the levels of critical thinking
No surprise the older & the more conservative the person, the more likely the belief in magical thinking

The left is not immune to magical thinking. Critical thinking has also not been taught in schools for more than 40 years. My sister is a middle boomer and I'm an early Xer and I saw a big difference in how much critical thinking was taught between when she went through school and when I did. Most college programs encourage it, but the ultra political correctness on college campuses these days points to critical thinking on decline.

My SO has done a lot of bankruptcies as an attorney and they wax and wane with the economy. In 2009 the bankruptcy courts were so swamped that they were having to add extra days to the calendar and they were still falling behind. During the Obama era to now the economy was steadily improving so bankruptcies declined.

The most salient question is what is the level of medical debt in this country and that is difficult to assess.

On another topic, my SO and I were talking about a Psychological concept that plays into any kind of change. She runs court ordered groups for domestic violence perpetrators and she does it with her clients, but it also works on mass populations. That's the concept of shaping. Because the middle of the bell curve is resistant to change, they need to be introduced to a topic, then let it marinate for a while and often they will go with it if it seems to be the new meme.

Shaping changed public opinion on same sex marriage and recreational marijuana. A couple of years ago neroden described here in this thread how the right shaped the evangelicals from relatively neutral on Roe v Wade into rabidly anti-abortion. After the civil rights movement we were making some progress on shaping this country generally away from racism, but the anti-Obama movement on the right completely undid all the work done and started shaping the herd back the other way.

Shaping is neutral, it can be applied for good or bad purposes, but it's very effectively in getting both individuals to change and getting public buy in for a new idea. The herd is not ready for Bernie's ideas yet, but a lot of early adopters are on board. It will take shaping to sell them to the rest. That takes time and a confrontational approach doesn't work. Confrontation raises shields and increases resistance to change. Trickle out ideas, examples, lessons and let the seeds take root. Then the change becomes inevitable.

And economic conditions improved. It is not a single factor one to one correlation as you are trying to attribute to the ACA.
Gee, you just said exactly the same thing I did. The number did decrease and it may or may not have had anything to do with ACA, and it's complicated. At no time did I (that is, me, myself) make the claim that you say I made, "trying to attribute".

Gee, you just said exactly the same thing I did. The number did decrease and it may or may not have had anything to do with ACA, and it's complicated. At no time did I (that is, me, myself) make the claim that you say I made, "trying to attribute".

It didn't come across that way. Even wdolson replied to you with something similar, so I'm not the only one that read your post as that way.

MODERATOR -

This thread is becoming toxic. As all previously have been warned, contrary to what each of you signed on to upon joining TMC, which is that zero posts about politics were permissible, the Investor Discussion section has been granted special - and EXTREMELY FRAGILE - dispensation to allow this thread.

Tread very, very carefully. Break the eggs upon which you are walking and all may disappear. It's not difficult:

- keep ALL posts to reasoned, careful and most of all insightful points. That will do it.

~~~Vetinari~~~

Ryan Saavedra on Twitter

Trump responds to Biden criticizing his response to the coronavirus by suggesting that Biden is too senile to even know what he is criticizing
We'll get 6 months of this if Biden is the nominee. You can't nominate someone with obvious signs of trouble.

Trump would find any or no reason to belittle his competitor, no matter who they are. He does it so much, that there is a whole Wikipedia page about it. List of nicknames used by Donald Trump - Wikipedia

Ryan Saavedra on Twitter

Trump responds to Biden criticizing his response to the coronavirus by suggesting that Biden is too senile to even know what he is criticizing
We'll get 6 months of this if Biden is the nominee. You can't nominate someone with obvious signs of trouble.
Fox News is already highlighting it.
The suggestion has also been that Biden has been rather flowery with his debating & has lacked substance. He could be in trouble when he is pressed on stage for detail & substance
Regardless, no surprise that the market responded positively to Biden’s surge from Tuesday. The sad thing is that a large portion of America don’t realise that this is actually a bad thing for them personally

Fox News is already highlighting it.
The suggestion has also been that Biden has been rather flowery with his debating & has lacked substance. He could be in trouble when he is pressed on stage for detail & substance
Regardless, no surprise that the market responded positively to Biden’s surge from Tuesday. The sad thing is that a large portion of America don’t realise that this is actually a bad thing for them personally

A debate between Trump and Biden would be as entertaining as watching two toddlers duke it out. Trump was horrible in his debates against Clinton, with the general media consensus being that she won 2 or even all 3 of them. Biden has only been good in the primary debates when he was able to stick to his prepared talking points, or so it would seem. Truly a cringe-worthy event.

Reactions: JRP3
Most people don't realize it, but presidential debates only happen if both candidates agree to it. After the poor 1960 debate Nixon refused to debate in 1968 and 1972. Carter only agreed to 1 in 1980.

Before Trump primary debates were always much more polite affairs than general election debates because everyone up on stage knew that the winner of the primary was going to have to do well in the general and there was no point handing the opposition potential dirt for the general election. Obama and Hillary got a bit heated in 2008, but there was a lot of talk among the pundits that both stopped short of really going after the other.

Biden has been doing the same thing when debating his Democratic rivals. He won't hold back against Trump. Biden's speech impediment also gets better when he feels he can let go and say what he really feels.

However with Trump's horrible debate performance against Hillary in 2016 and his own mental decline over the last three years i doubt he will agree to debate. He'll drag his feet like he's done with his taxes saying he will but never quite coming to an agreement.

Now if Trump strokes out after eating a Big Mac and the Republicans have to find another candidate, they will probably want to debate Biden as often as possible.

Most people don't realize it, but presidential debates only happen if both candidates agree to it. After the poor 1960 debate Nixon refused to debate in 1968 and 1972. Carter only agreed to 1 in 1980.

Before Trump primary debates were always much more polite affairs than general election debates because everyone up on stage knew that the winner of the primary was going to have to do well in the general and there was no point handing the opposition potential dirt for the general election. Obama and Hillary got a bit heated in 2008, but there was a lot of talk among the pundits that both stopped short of really going after the other.

Biden has been doing the same thing when debating his Democratic rivals. He won't hold back against Trump. Biden's speech impediment also gets better when he feels he can let go and say what he really feels.

However with Trump's horrible debate performance against Hillary in 2016 and his own mental decline over the last three years i doubt he will agree to debate. He'll drag his feet like he's done with his taxes saying he will but never quite coming to an agreement.

Now if Trump strokes out after eating a Big Mac and the Republicans have to find another candidate, they will probably want to debate Biden as often as possible.

1) Trump will debate. I'll put money on that.
2) Biden has a higher risk of stroke than Trump. I would also put money on that (we've previously discussed in this thread the symptoms he has shown).

Reactions: LN1_Casey

Be careful what you wish for. Mike Pence would destroy Biden in a debate.

Even if Biden's mind is failing, he's going to surround himself with significantly more competent people than Trump ever did.
Can we all just stop and realize how low we are setting the bar for the office of the president? You're pushing an admittedly failing Biden over an obviously sharp and competent Sanders. I'm hoping that Biden vs Sanders debates will expose how weak he really is and maybe people will wake up. I'm afraid a Biden vs Trump debate will not go well for Biden, he'll get angry, agitated, and have too many senior moments and come off looking weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.