Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market politics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd think poor diet and obesity presents higher risk for stroke than senility/dementia. Do statistics show otherwise? Biden seems to be in much better physical shape than Trump.

It's the symptoms Biden has shown. I agree that risk factors, Trump has more. But risk doesn't always tell the full story. He has had known aneurysms in the past, that is a risk factor greater than all of Trump's combined:
Joe Biden’s Aneurysm Rupture: A Stroke of Fortune
Washington Examiner: Stroke Concerns for Joe Biden

Medical records are private, even for presidential candidates (as they should be), so we will never know the full story.

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3
Be careful what you wish for. Mike Pence would destroy Biden in a debate.

Pence is a historically bad debater. The Tim Kaine/Mike Pence debate in 2016 was a match up of poor debaters and I think Kaine won handily.

Can we all just stop and realize how low we are setting the bar for the office of the president? You're pushing an admittedly failing Biden over an obviously sharp and competent Sanders. I'm hoping that Biden vs Sanders debates will expose how weak he really is and maybe people will wake up. I'm afraid a Biden vs Trump debate will not go well for Biden, he'll get angry, agitated, and have too many senior moments and come off looking weak.

I think there is a good chance Biden might resign in his first term for medical reasons, but he is far more likely to listen to the medical experts if they tell him he's not physically fit for the job than Trump.

In any case Trump has forced the bar low.

I've been watching Biden's gaffs correlated with his situation and I think more of them have to do with his fatigue and stress level than his losing it. Having aphasia myself I recognize the patterns. Since South Carolina he's had a few gaffs, but far fewer. But he always had some gaffs.

It's the symptoms Biden has shown. I agree that risk factors, Trump has more. But risk doesn't always tell the full story. He has had known aneurysms in the past, that is a risk factor greater than all of Trump's combined:
Joe Biden’s Aneurysm Rupture: A Stroke of Fortune
Washington Examiner: Stroke Concerns for Joe Biden

Medical records are private, even for presidential candidates (as they should be), so we will never know the full story.

Jill Biden is an MD and as we saw from how she dealt with the protestors Tuesday night, she is fiercely protective of Joe. I suspect she's watching his health like a hawk.

We will see a lot of ads from the GOP about Biden being senile, but consider his opponent. There will be just as many counter ads showing Trump not only acting senile, but also being a complete loon. For many voters it may be "both candidates are losing their mind, but which one will be the better Alzheimer's patient?" Biden wins that argument.

• Funny
Reactions: alloverx
Jill Biden is an MD and as we saw from how she dealt with the protestors Tuesday night, she is fiercely protective of Joe. I suspect she's watching his health like a hawk.

Jill Biden is not an MD. She has a doctorate in education.

We will see a lot of ads from the GOP about Biden being senile, but consider his opponent. There will be just as many counter ads showing Trump not only acting senile, but also being a complete loon. For many voters it may be "both candidates are losing their mind, but which one will be the better Alzheimer's patient?" Biden wins that argument.

That has yet to be seen. Maybe it's just familiarity but at this point I find Biden's gaffs more startling than Trump's. Biden tends to trail off and act confused, gets angry, Trump just barrels on with confidence, even if misplaced.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Jill Biden is not an MD. She has a doctorate in education.

My bad. I thought I remembered seeing she was an MD, but I misremembered.

That has yet to be seen. Maybe it's just familiarity but at this point I find Biden's gaffs more startling than Trump's. Biden tends to trail off and act confused, gets angry, Trump just barrels on with confidence, even if misplaced.

Joe Biden has self awareness, Trump doesn't.

I wrote here a few months back that I watched a Trump speech first listening to the words and then just listening to the "vibe" and ignoring the words. If you listen to the words, he speaks utter gibberish that makes no sense. He sometimes contradicts himself in the same sentence.

However if you just listen to his way of speaking without listening to the words, he comes across as supremely confident in whatever he's saying. People who think about what they are saying often have pauses to think when talking off the cuff. Elon Musk is very bad at this. Barack Obama does it too. It can be painful to watch sometimes, but it means what they are saying actually has substance.

There are also people who have the gift of gab and substance too. Bill Clinton can sometimes speak very eloquently off the cuff, though he's hit and miss with it. When he was president and his staffers saw him start to ignore the teleprompter they started sweating because what he was about to say was either going to be brilliant or foot in mouth time. Elizabeth Warren's interview with Rachel Maddow was quite eloquent too, but her head is full of all the talking points and stump speeches from her campaign.

Trump never pauses when he talks. When he gaffs, he just plows ahead making up things as he goes along. Back when Trump first ran for office, Bloomberg and Trump had worked together on some NYC matters and Bloomberg characterized Trump in an interview. He said you could sit with Trump and he would be very entertaining, but you'd walk away knowing everything he just said was BS.

Biden trips himself up because he realizes he just gaffed again and he starts thinking about what he just said wrong rather than what he's going to say next and things spiral down from there.

I can't say I'm thrilled with Biden being the nominee. I don't think many people are. But he's a known quantity and he's not scary. Most of the American public is living on edge waiting to see what Trump's next disaster is going to be. People are exhausted from the anxiety.

On Super Tuesday CNN was asking in their exit poll if people were looking for a candidate who could beat Trump or looking for someone who shared their values. About 2/3 said they were looking for someone who they thought could beat Trump and they voted for Biden. Bernie polls well among western Democrats and the Northeast, but he doesn't have much traction outside of those regions. The Democrats need some combination of other states to win the presidency and most of the west are red states that are not going to go for a Democrat in the general election.

Most Democratic primary voters have been asking the existential question of who has the best chance of beating Donald Trump. Some feel it's Bernie, but most people feel it's Biden. Especially outside the deep blue states.

The die is pretty close to being cast and we have to make the best with what we've got. It would be great if the Democratic bench had someone with the talent of Bill Clinton or Barack Obama who could step up, but they aren't eligible.

For any Democrat nominee, there are advantages over 2016:

1) There are many sources giving flank support like Michael Bloomberg, Tom Steyer, the Lincoln Project, and others.
2) Trump is now a known quantity. He has a track record which he didn't have in 2016.
3) The Democratic nominee is guaranteed to be more likeable than Hillary Clinton.
4) All the dirty tricks that helped Trump in 2016 are now known and by being known are less effective.
5) The key states Trump won in 2016 by tiny margins are now all controlled by Democratic governors that will be shutting down GOP efforts to suppress Democratic votes.
6) A lot of would be Democratic voters who voted third party or not at all in 2016 are motivated to vote this time and guilt is spurring them on.
7) The electorate is 4% less white than it was in 2012.
8) It looks like the economy is going to go into recession on Trump's watch.
9) Trump is epicly botching the COVID-19 situation.

There are still some disadvantages:

1) The Russians as well as other countries will be doing everything they can to interfere and this administration is trying everything it can to squash countermeasures.
2) The Republicans still have a propaganda network and a very effective team of dirty tricksters and slime throwers.
3) Trump has all the powers of incumbency.
4) There may be more dirty tricks played we haven't seen yet.

Ultimately the Democrats need to take the presidency and the Senate or nothing is going to get fixed and we'll have four years of bickering. If a vacancy opens up on the Supreme Court Jan 21, 2021, McConnell will figure out how to keep the seat open until 2025 unless he's out of power.

IMO Biden will have better coattails than Bernie.

Joe Biden Has Dementia | Bob Lonsberry | 570 WSYR
Joe Biden has dementia.
I don’t say that critically, or mockingly, but sadly.
And honestly.
And the Democratic Party needs to have that same honesty. To recognize that this man, with his decades of service to our nation, has not just lost something on his fastball, he is in obvious and debilitating decline.
And is not fit to be president.

Reactions: JRP3
But he's a known quantity and he's not scary.
I find him scary because he seems too weak to beat Trump. He's struggled at every debate when he only had a small amount of speaking time, how is he going to do when it's just two people on stage? He might survive Sanders because Bernie probably won't go at him that hard, Trump will be vicious and try to trigger Biden's anger. Trump can talk total nonsense and do it with confidence, if Biden gets flustered, confrontational, angry, and confused, as he does, he'll look weak next to Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.