Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market value for Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So another drop for the the Plaid to 90k now!!! Realistically how much do you think a 22 plaid with 15k miles will be valued now if totaled in an accident.

Trying to figure out how deep underwater this car is. I got the car for 125, put 10% down for 5 years and with 25% gap from my insurance, i am pretty sure i am still upside down.

I can pay the car in full but i just hope now it survive for another year or so to hopefully break even (unless they drop the price again), then get rid of this mess and never come back to this aweful brand.

So another drop for the the Plaid to 90k now!!! Realistically how much do you think a 22 plaid with 15k miles will be valued now if totaled in an accident.

Trying to figure out how deep underwater this car is. I got the car for 125, put 10% down for 5 years and with 25% gap from my insurance, i am pretty sure i am still upside down.

I can pay the car in full but i just hope now it survive for another year or so to hopefully break even (unless they drop the price again), then get rid of this mess and never come back to this aweful brand.
Technically you’re looking at part of the picture. That’s the base without the wheels etc you bought. I picked mine up 2 weeks ago with 21’s, yoke, and white interior for 101 Same option car today with discount is 98. Not huge and anyone buying This type of car shouldn’t be considering maintained value or increased value like most Any car. These are not collectible, they are transportation devices.

Whether it’s ok or not is a personal assessment of the situation.

You still drive a unique 1st world vehicle with world class acceleration and best of breed charging exp present day.

If you want to stop the financial bleeding, waiting a year makes no sense. Cut your losses now. Your bank owned Tesla will never be worth more.

I lost $12K minimum on my 6/2023 MSP due to this price cut, yet on the bright side, Elon also jacked up the ceramic brake kit $5K overnight.

Go and enjoy your ride in good health.

What many people don’t understand is that you can sell your car at a huge discount, but also buy a new car at a huge discount. Like real estate, when you sell a house you are probably going to buy another to replace it. It doesn’t matter what you originally paid, as long as the price of the new asset has gone down proportionately which it has
At 1.9 interst. I financed at 5 years MSRP was 125. Put 15% down and i have 25% Gap through my insurance AND I am for sure upside down. U will need come with the diff if you sell. So the new purcahse price is not discounted anymore.

Lol I can pay the car full today, it just sucks that this brand loves to screw its customers. I had AMGs and other German high end expensive cars that will depreciate 60% in 4 year but not in 1 year like this :)

At 1.9 interst. I financed at 5 years MSRP was 125. Put 15% down and i have 25% Gap through my insurance AND I am for sure upside down. U will need come with the diff if you sell. So the new purcahse price is not discounted anymore.

Lol I can pay the car full today, it just sucks that this brand loves to screw its customers. I had AMGs and other German high end expensive cars that will depreciate 60% in 4 year but not in 1 year like this :)
I am in the same boat my friend.
I was considering selling and buying a Taycan4S due to all the issues I have had with my car. Now it just doesn't make sense to get rid of it...too much out of pocket, whether I have the money or not.

Reactions: Bmr4EV
So the folks who bought high at 140 got 60k drop on top of depreciation, is this ok? You know that is almost 50% depriciation in 1 year. Which other brand has that? 50% is what you plan for at 5 years!!

Cars depreciate for sure but not at this rate.

Welcome to life where there are no contractual guarantees to depreciation value for anything. The only fact here is that your car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, done, end of discussion.

What you think or feel about it is irrelevant. Push come to shove, you will cave to whatever the market is at and no amount of argument (statistics or not) is going to change it.

As some have said, enjoy it, you have a Plaid. It was never an investment or something to "break even". Be glad you can afford a plaid and pay if off (as you said). You're already winning...

I'm getting ready to throw away some cash as well as I've been contemplating upgrading to Plaid from my P85D. When the time comes, I will pay market value and to hell with depreciation. Life's too short, I'm gonna enjoy the Plaid!

Welcome to life where there are no contractual guarantees to depreciation value for anything. The only fact here is that your car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, done, end of discussion.

What you think or feel about it is irrelevant. Push come to shove, you will cave to whatever the market is at and no amount of argument (statistics or not) is going to change it.

As some have said, enjoy it, you have a Plaid. It was never an investment or something to "break even". Be glad you can afford a plaid and pay if off (as you said). You're already winning...
You are not wrong.
But it's still a shitty situation.
Speaking for myself , I will never buy another Tesla.

I am in the same boat my friend.
I was considering selling and buying a Taycan4S due to all the issues I have had with my car. Now it just doesn't make sense to get rid of it...too much out of pocket, whether I have the money or not.
Exactly. At this point will keep it for another 1.5 to hit 3 years till it break even and then trade it for another brand and consider this Tesla experience as an expensive lease from a shitty shark dealer :)

22 plaid 15k miles will be valued at 72-76k is my guess after the dust settles in a few months from this price drop

Yeah. With new order plaid at 90k and inventory plaids in the 80s...I wouldn't pay more than 80k max for a 22 plaid (and that's gotta be for a decently good one with lower miles). I think the used plaid market is now more in the 70s now with this price drop.

Reactions: Iluvpcs
This repricing is not something isolated to Tesla. The current marketplace for new and used autos, from all manufacturers, in in a huge state of flux.

Dealerships often either sell their cars way below sticker to increase volume, or way above sticker to increase profits.

Some cars have over a years wait, while others have excess stock with no place to strore them.

When you purchase a car, you own it. It may maintain it's value, go up in value, or down in value. Will depend on lots of factors outside your control.

Right now the auto manufacturing community is is a great state of flux. Everyone is struggling to either maintain their existance, or gain the marketshare to dominate their future existence.

Buyers get a huge ego rush when they purchase a vehicle which goes up in value. They feel they are oh-so-smart. That they have closen wisely and are winners in the arbitrage of life. If it goes down in value, they feel they have, somehow, failed in their financial choice.

Backing away, the reality is that the pricing of vehicles is out of their control, and once the purchase has been made, future pricing is not assured.

Side note. The PLAID does not really cost Tesla all that much more to produce. They use the pricing delta of expand their offerings and pricing strategies to cover more of the marketplace. Aspirational vehicles often command far higher prices than their production costs.

Tesla may also be lowering pricing to dominate the marketplace against competitors with similar, high performance capabilities.

Believe that overall, Tesla is working hard to dominate and succeed against ever increasing competition in the EV space. Lower pricing will allow it to even more successfully take marketshare from the legacy ICE manufacturers.

Reactions: outdoors
Side note. The PLAID does not really cost Tesla all that much more to produce. They use the pricing delta of expand their offerings and pricing strategies to cover more of the marketplace. Aspirational vehicles often command far higher prices than their production costs.

Tesla may also be lowering pricing to dominate the marketplace against competitors with similar, high performance capabilities.

Believe that overall, Tesla is working hard to dominate and succeed against ever increasing competition in the EV space. Lower pricing will allow it to even more successfully take marketshare from the legacy ICE manufacturers.

No kidding. What was the launch price for a base model Plaid in 2021? ....like 130k or something?

And unlike legacy autos that are having to use their EVs as loss leaders....Teslas are profiting on each EV they sell.

So even with this price cut to 89k, I imagine they are STILL making a profit on each plaid they sell. Which is insane. So that means you're probably right that it probably doesn't take THAT much more production cost to rolle off a Plaid vs a normal S off the assembly line. Add the third motor in, batterty pack is the same, bigger brakes (I think now the Plaids come with bigger OEM brakes than the standard S, right?) and then the software to have the Plaid mode which costs nothing....maybe even more price cut to lower than 89k before end of this year???

I'm very tempted to buy the Plaid now but also am waiting to end of September to see if there's even more discounts or heck maybe wait to end of Q4 and see if there's a huge firesale before end of 2023.....

You are not wrong.
But it's still a shitty situation.
Speaking for myself , I will never buy another Tesla.
Yes, best to go back to other brands where they handle this stuff the traditional way via rebates, dealer holdbacks, financing deals, and other methods of accomplishing the exact same thing.

Every manufacturer responds to the market like this. They just do it in ways that are more opaque to spare your feelings. The end result is exactly the same.

Exactly. People getting mad because Tesla is actually transparent and "equal" in that they have no dealership network that gouges customers so its one price for everyone.

The anger of pricing for legacy automakers are distributed across thinly all over the USA due to the dealership networks that band together to legally protect themselves from being outcompeted by the free market and everyone person in USA pays a diff price for their Toyota/Ford/etc. and is completely non-transparent vs a Tesla purchase

• Funny
Reactions: whitex and Ash83