Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Master Brake Cylinder Brace from Mountain Pass Performance MPP

Will you order the brace?

• Yes

Votes: 43 64.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • No

Votes: 8 11.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there any plans for a RHD one
It's not as simple as mirroring it. A RHD version would require a completely different design, as the RHD master cylinder is located much closer to the corresponding shock tower. Of course, there's also a chance the RHD master cylinder mount doesn't experience the same deformation under load that's seen with the LHD.

Here's the best picture I can find of the RHD frunk area (brake fluid reservoir seen on the left), followed by the LHD version.
TM30004A-02.jpg

t0ii3kelm2e31.jpg

I'm interested but could this potentially cause any issues at all long term?

Good question!

I rely on regen and try to avoid situations to requires me to hit the brake hard. The more you push on the pedal, the more the master cylinder moves. Since the cylinder moves like a pendulum non-stop, I'll raise another question... could that slowly wear off something and cause a failure? Brake failure would not be fun, I admit! Maybe that's why autopilot rear ends firetrucks all the time :D

Tesla master cylinder & brake lines specs are likely rated for a cylinder that doesn't move at all.

When you apply the brake all the way to the firewall,
the pressure is likely _identical_ as with the brace. If the pressure is higher, it likely happen only when you press very very hard on the brake. At that moment chances are that ABS will kick in as well and adjust pressures to the pads. That said, I'm not sure how ABS fully works but seems this is what would happen. Anyone please correct me!

I'm hoping more experienced people & MPP will comment as well.

Reactions: Watts_Up
@calvinlau Good video and angle. Thanks for sharing. It really looks like there’s more upward displacement than forward, at least for the RHD master cylinder.

A different solution would definitely be needed than reusing the shock tower brace fastener holes. There might be a way to restrict movement at the brake booster itself, which in many ways is more desirable than the LHD solution of pushing on the front of the master cylinder, but it won’t be as easy to install.

Last edited:
I was looking at Tesla Service Manual (LHD) and pictures of the cylinder/booster.

From all the pictures that I've found at, see one below here, the master cylinder seems properly secured to the booster - the metal is
definitely thick enough and uses 2 good size bolts.

2020-06-13_11-57-36.png

If so
then the booster seems to be the issue. It has 4 good size bolts, a very thin donut layer made of ??? - and a "white" donut made of ???. The yellow one seems thin enough not to cause such large movement. Most white material that I'm aware are sturdy, I could be wrong but it looks like polypropylene. If that white donut was "soft" there's no reason for the yellow one, right?

2020-06-13_12-00-22.png

What can allow such movement? Is it the firewall's thickness that is too thin or a combination of the 2 donuts?

I don't have time this weekend to go under the dashboard to visualize everything. That might help us at least understand the root cause.

Reactions: Watts_Up