Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Master Brake Cylinder Brace from Mountain Pass Performance MPP

Will you order the brace?

• Yes

Votes: 43 64.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • No

Votes: 8 11.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a graphic and pictures of the Model 3 firewall structure that I've annotated with the holes for the brake boosters. The graphic is a view through the left drivers door aperture. The blue is mild steel, yellow is high-strength steel and red is ultra high strength steel. The yellow reinforcement plate is specifically designed to counter deflection of the brake booster. It's centered around the booster attach location and has a vertical gusset on the right side. That gusset will disperse the pedal loads across more of the firewall and keep it from bending forward.

The graphic doesn't show a reinforcement plate for RHD. It's possible RHD cars don't have the left plate and have a specific plate for the right side. It's also possible that the angled blue firewall just to the right of the right booster hole provides "enough" support and there's no reinforcement plate for RHD. The fact that the angled portion of the right firewall intersects the transverse portion directly below the RHD brake booster is clearly by design.

It's readily apparent that the firewall structure has been designed to account for loads going into the brake boosters, as would be expected. It just seems they missed the mark and it's still too compliant to maximize brake feel.

The pictures are from Munro's Model 3 teardown episode on Autoline Network.

Brake booster.jpg

Too bad these only come in the brandname MPP color of choice and not something less flashy (black, grey, matt silver, etc).

The design could also use some TLC (a bit busy, spacers, etc). But given the location and mounting options, still beats having to drill anything to install something cleaner.

Master brake cylinder braces have been a worthwile mod on all cars that use the brake cylinder through a firewall and where the aftermarket developed the part, going back at least 20-25 years. So not surprised with OPs impressions.

Great findings from Munro & Autoline Network.

It's readily apparent that the firewall structure has been designed to account for loads going into the brake boosters, as would be expected. It just seems they missed the mark and it's still too compliant to maximize brake feel.

When looking at the last image, on that side of the reinforced plate, it looks like it isn’t soldered to the firewall. I see a gap but the image is blurry a little bit. If it’s a gap, perhaps filling that area with some 3m Panel Bonding Adhesive or epoxy would likely help.

All that said, I took the car today and still so very happy of the result with MPP brace.

Great findings from Munro & Autoline Network.

When looking at the last image, on that side of the reinforced plate, it looks like it isn’t soldered to the firewall. I see a gap but the image is blurry a little bit. If it’s a gap, perhaps filling that area with some 3m Panel Bonding Adhesive or epoxy would likely help.

All that said, I took the car today and still so very happy of the result with MPP brace.

Good to hear that the MPP brace resulting good from your driving feedback.
Now please @MoutainPass , please do RHD version shown in #35 :D

Reactions: MountainPass
Got my Master Brake Cylinder Brace installed! The brace feels great! Immediately noticed. Highly recommend!

Pretty low risk DIY although I took longer than most people likely will. A 3D picture of all the MPP Brace parts together may have helped (something like a CAD view or IKEA diagram). Otherwise the videos and instructions on this forum and from MPP helped a lot and anyone should be able to do it. Worst part was trying not to drop the nut and washer which, is pretty standard when working under a hood.

I have some MPP sport pads going on next week with so lowering mods. Excited to see how those feel too but I think the Master Brake Cylinder Brace is likely the most noticeable street brake mod.

Reactions: belanger
I admit it, I dropped the washer. Even before that though, I wondered why there was a washer. Mine contacts the master cylinder a bit higher I think than the pictures, also very near the end of adjustment, on the short side. I snugged it until I couldn’t spin the wobble end by hand.
C2BA732F-AF19-4285-8C49-93B3089C38EB.jpeg

Reactions: Lindenwood
Got my Master Brake Cylinder Brace installed! The brace feels great! Immediately noticed. Highly recommend!
How could someone not notice the difference? I'm positive my grandma could even tell. ;)

I admit it, I dropped the washer. Even before that though, I wondered why there was a washer.View attachment 554299

Could the washer help not to scratch off the black paint of that metal piece that could later slowly rust? Obviously if you live in an area with no salt on the roads during winter, not be a big deal.

It took me 3-4 times before I was able to screw in the nut & washer in the bolt. When I noticed how hard it was and clear evidence of the risk to drop the washer, I would have put a tiny bit of "superglue" to secure both parts together but I didn't have any with me.

Originally at AutoTalent in Gardena. Recently had upper control arms, lower control arm bushings, camber and toe arms done much closer to home at Mission Auto Center in Lake Forest. Both great, I’d go to whichever is closer.

To all of you that ordered the brace before or after this thread started, glad you took risk like I did. More important, I was eagerly waiting all week for more people to install it and read your comments on the end result.

Anyone in Montreal area that doesn't have the courage to do this job alone, feel free to contact me. We can chat over phone or you can come to my place and I can guide/help you. If you want to come over to try the brace before ordering, you are wasting my time and yours... just order it, really a no brainer.

The poll so far says 22 would order and w/ 11 maybe - if you've changed your mind, don't forget to change your answer. If you have ordered and waiting for delivery, I'm sorry you have to wait!

I had a soft pedal before I swap to the race pads and bled the brakes. It got really good but now it is softer than before after a few laps. I am curious to see what this can do before I bleed it again

I'm not 100% positive what you mean by soft, specially if you have already bled the brakes to make sure no air is left.

Here's a way to describe the feeling w/ the brace. If you need to push the pedal almost all the way to the firewall to have ABS kick-in, with the brace you need to push about 2/3. Very very soon after starting to put pressure on the pedal, it becomes firm. I would also add that with the brace, I find it a lot more intuitive. Much less movement is required on the pedal to achieve the same result w/o the brace. If it more firm, I would say yes because the master cylinder isn't "moving" at all anymore. The brace secures it in place and prevents it to move. Check out the video if you haven't yet.