Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.36.2.1 - new HOLD mode and other features

Do you use One Petal Driving?

• Yes

Votes: 690 89.6%
  • No

Votes: 7 0.9%
  • Prefer Roll

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • Prefer Creep

Votes: 47 6.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Absolutely drive the way you feel comfortable, but please don’t lump all us old farts into one basket! :)

Old farts? You kids today with all your fancy smancy language.........I'm an early '54 model myself and have more precise control with Hold then ever before. Every time I go to reverse I try to understand why some folks say the control feels odd. So far I got nothing..........

Believe it or not, I had a lot of physics. I know the difference between power and energy or, kinetic vs potential energy. I said power. I have no clue where you got energy from. What I said was in order to give us 5% more power out of the same plant, something had to give. I suspect it was mileage as specified on the miles left progress meter at full charge which went from 250 to 240 or ... 4%. For the longest time it said 246 then it started showing 250 +/-, now 240.

Power only uses more energy (battery range) when you USE it. 5% more power would only affect your range if you're using it, ie. flooring it 100% of the time. In any event, this will only affect your actual range, not the displayed rated range. Man it's frustrating reading the same discussion over and over on here...lol.

So you’ve never had your phone or computer lock up or do something that you couldn’t explain? Just an example, my bluetooth screws up on a regular basis, requiring either a reconnection or total reboot. Or maybe you’re being sarcastic, and I missed the sarcasm.

Sarcasm? Is that even a thing? Ah.......just messin' wid youse...........I liked your joke about creep.........

Last edited:
I don’t think what looks like “phantom” wiper activation is unique to Tesla. I’ve had the same thing happen on my Ford. I always assumed there was actually something I could not see that activated the sensor, usually for one swipe of the windshield. I’ve also had at least a few electrical abnormalities occur on my BMW. Just fixed one a few weeks ago. Ever had a glitch on your pc or phone?
It seems as if this “glitch” was introduced in 36.2.1 (at least for me and some others in this thread anyway). Never had this issue with lower firmware. And it was more than one swipe. It ran continuously until I took it off auto in the garage. Hopefully it’s fixed in FW 2019.40.

I have had the intermittent dry wiper thing since the cows came home. Meaning before the latest updates. For me, it seems less common now. Meaning it seems more random then update related. Maybe I've just gotten better at ignoring the wiper thingy. Oh stop that sh*t, push some buttons..........zippidy do da........

It was an afterthought intended as a joke. Sorry it didn’t come through that way. I should have just stayed on point and not try to be a comedian.

No worries, I got that, I mean to be teasing a bit.

Just a thought though - I wonder if the hold is easier to get used to in the heavier X than it is in the 3. Unlike others who say they notice the regen is weaker, I feel like it’s stronger now. I find inching forward or backward is very easy using just the accelerator, the car feels heavier now.

I understand other’s experiences are different.

I understand your not trusting the computer, I was a professional pilot in another life and always kept a sharp eye on everything. I figure that moment of inattention was when something would decide to do something unexpected.

But this car is really a computer on wheels, more so than most other cars on the road now, so I figure I’m going to use it as such, otherwise I’d find an old truck with a manual shift and roll up windows. (Joke) I have to assume the systems in the car are much more robust than my iPhone or even my laptop, because you are right, if it screws up as much as my phone does, I shouldn’t be driving it at all!

That said, I try to be ready for anything. It’s already surprised me with phantom braking a few times, so I now turn off the TACC when somebody starts tailgating me, don’t trust it. I use the autosteer judiciously as well, and would never think of hanging a weight on the wheel.

In an aircraft, there are devices also called autopilots, and unless you are flying a large airliner equipped with autoland into Heathrow on a foggy morning, autopilots are considered workload reduction items, not replacements for the pilot, or the pilot’s responsibilities.

That’s how I use my car and systems anyway. Love the tech, don’t trust it completely, and love the way the car drives and feels. Also love the way it’s better now than when I bought it because of the updates. Never had that before.

Cheers!

Reactions: Eclipso and PACEMD
Power only uses more energy (battery range) when you USE it. 5% more power would only affect your range if you're using it, ie. flooring it 100% of the time. In any event, this will only affect your actual range, not the displayed rated range. Man it's frustrating reading the same discussion over and over on here...lol.
By that logic the car would have unlimited range as it's not drawing any power. The progress meter is projected range. Its esp frustrating when there is such a lack of knowledge.

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
ED40FA77-F641-4295-AB0F-788D8EE28541.jpeg

Apologies if I gave offense.
No worries! It's all about the power! Or is it? I am frankly surprised with the popularity of the M3P. My "hotrod days" consisted of a brand new fire engine red 76 or 77, British Leyland TR-7. I believe TR was for Triumph. 2" road clearance, drive like it was on rails. That replaced a Datsun B210 which got outstanding mileage but was a deathtrap entering an interstate. In physics P=W/dT, in electronics P =I*E. Assuming voltage is constant the only way to increase power is to increase amperage. If you increase battery drain it makes sense you decrease anticipated range. Circling back, my mo power days are behind me, more range means lower cost per mile, more miles per charge..
If Tesla can increase power (decrease range) through software they can toggle it to favor efficiency or power. @diplomat33 does this make sense to you?

Reactions: diplomat33
Yes, that makes sense to me. I don't know the specifics of how Tesla would do it but I imagine it is doable. There are probably software tweaks that they could do that would favor range.
My thread here is they just did it by virtue of giving ppl 5% more power. Commensurate with that increase in power, by my observation, is a decrease in anticipated range. My initial observation was they should provide that as an option, i.e. favor power/favor range. They claim 5% more power, I observed projected range dropping from 250 (80%) to 240 or 4% drop.

My thread here is they just did it by virtue of giving ppl 5% more power. Commensurate with that increase in power, by my observation, is a decrease in anticipated range. My initial observation was they should provide that as an option, i.e. favor power/favor range. They claim 5% more power, I observed projected range dropping from 250 (80%) to 240 or 4% drop.

I don't think the 5% more power reduces range, at least not directly. The 5% more power just means that if I stomp on the accelerator, I will get better acceleration. Obviously, if I do that, I will get less range since I am using more energy. But I can still drive with a light touch on the accelerator and not lose range. Also, the new "one pedal driving" feature will help extend range. So the two features counteract each other.

But doesn't chill mode already do what you are suggesting? It suppresses power and results in better range?

Having said that, I am certainly not opposed to Tesla adding an "extend range" option via OTA update. Any feature that allows the driver to further customize their driving style is always a good thing. So, I would support that 100%. And a "extend range" option could even be super useful too if the driver gets in a situation of range anxiety and needs to extend their range as much as possible.

• Informative
Reactions: rotus8
Congrats. You will love the update.
You didn't get 2.1? This threads been about 2.1. I am not sure I like hold. I say, not sure, as it hasn't gone into hold yet. I am thinking I'll change it back. I had set hold on. I got 2.1 last week, Thursday if I am not mistaken.
I suppose if they meant more power by way of better acceleration, 1 they should have said better acceleration and 2) that would not necessarily affect anticipated range. I am seeing a marked decrease in anticipated range. I believe my first post in this thread was "has anyone else noticed their anticpated range meter is significantly lower? When I did that calculations, it's +5% with a corresponding -4%. I'd say that was a smoking gun. About a year ago when I still had that new car smell (oh...wait....I never had a new car smell) I did try chill. I didn't notice any difference to range. However, the car did drive more similarly to my Prius. Hey, maybe they fixed the anticipated range progress control. In UI stuff that widget is called a progress meter. Tesla is using it as a measure of remaining range. A few weeks ago I did drive it down into the amber range. I think I had low 50's or maybe high 40 miles left. Talk about range anxiety!

Opps, Sorry... I thought you were still replying to me. My bad! Oh wait...you were.

Last edited:
You didn't get 2.1? This threads been about 2.1. I am not sure I like hold. I say, not sure, as it hasn't gone into hold yet. I am thinking I'll change it back. I had set hold on. I got 2.1 last week, Thursday if I am not mistaken.
I suppose if they meant more power by way of better acceleration, 1 they should have said better acceleration and 2) that would not necessarily affect anticipated range. I am seeing a marked decrease in anticipated range. I believe my first post in this thread was "has anyone else noticed their anticpated range meter is significantly lower? When I did that calculations, it's +5% with a corresponding -4%. I'd say that was a smoking gun. About a year ago when I still had that new car smell (oh...wait....I never had a new car smell) I did try chill. I didn't notice any difference to range. However, the car did drive more similarly to my Prius.

Yes, I got 2.1 last Saturday. I love the new one pedal driving. I love when I am in stop and go traffic that I can just lightly press the accelerator to creep forward and let my foot off the accelerator to complete stop again.

I have not done any scientific calculations of my range after 2.1 but I've definitely noticed that car's acceleration has more kick to it.