Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.36.2.1 - new HOLD mode and other features

Do you use One Petal Driving?

• Yes

Votes: 690 89.6%
  • No

Votes: 7 0.9%
  • Prefer Roll

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • Prefer Creep

Votes: 47 6.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My cruise control started malfunctioning with this version. :(
I have standard cruise control, no AP or EAP. Since the new software update, sometimes cruise control does not engage properly. I engage it, it shows that it is engaged, but then if I release the pedal it will not hold the speed. I have seen it drop as much as 10 MPH, slowing down as if there is no cruise control set. After a few seconds it seems to realize it should be on cruise control and returns to the speed that I set.

This is not dependent on the speed limit of the road, or the speed I am setting, or the lighting conditions, or the location. And it doesn't malfunction every time. But it has happened 6-8 times already, beginning immediately after I got the new software. It had never done this, ever, before that. I've done the in-car bug report 3-4 times so far, hoping they fix this ASAP.

Yes, I have this issue as well. Very annoying bug!

Reactions: ProphetM and elf9
Yes, I have it set for departure at 8:30 so it's all charged up by 6am. (Tesla says it assumes a Time of Use plan starts charging higher prices at 6am. Mine doesn't but that's fine.

Last night when I went to bed, the Tesla app on my phone said, "Scheduled Charging - will start at 1:30am" or something similar, so it calculates it for you.

It was warm and ready to go at 8:30.
I bet warm is important in Ann Arbor this time of year, for the next 4 or 5 months!

Reactions: iaflyer
On Sunday, it charged as soon as I plugged it in, which makes sense because a Time of Use electricity plan usually has off-peak pricing on the weekend (mine does)
Tesla needs to add a check box on the user interface for Time of Use so that is the only time it stops charging at 6:00 AM if it is checked. The feature should be able to work anytime during the day or night. This is a poor implementation of what could have been a great feature.

Speaking of the bug, I experienced it the other day leaving a parking lot. Inching forward on the downramp from the curb. Rear is on the downramp, front tires on the level road surface, as I let off to stop inching forward as there was traffic approaching that I had to wait for, it started rolling back up the downramp. Seems like the computer overestimated the amount of reverse power required based on vehicle angle...instead of grade (no grade just angle difference between top of curb and level road).

I just got 36.2.3. Initial impressions: car rendering is much better. It’s more consistently rendering oncoming traffic and more of it. In previous versions it would only render oncoming traffic in the adjacent lane, with the new update its rendering oncoming traffic two lanes away at times. I’ve also seen it highlighting the car behind me the same as it does the car in front of me while I’m in AP. That’s not something I’ve noticed before in previous versions. Still no traffic cones for me on AP 2.5.

Tesla needs to add a check box on the user interface for Time of Use so that is the only time it stops charging at 6:00 AM if it is checked. The feature should be able to work anytime during the day or night. This is a poor implementation of what could have been a great feature.

Even nicer would be ability to set your actual ToU hours.

Mine end at 5 AM for example, not 6.

Forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this.

What the car really needs is a customizable Start Charging time and a customizable Stop Charging time. Before I had solar I set the car to start charging at 1:00 a.m. I didn't have ToU electric rates, but wanted to charge at a time that would put less stress on the grid. But now I have solar, so I want to charge when my solar panels are at peak production, typically from about 9:00 a.m. to about 3:00 p.m. This is the opposite of people who charge from the grid. And I know I'm not the only person with a Tesla and solar panels.

As it is I have to stop charging manually (generally from the app, but I have to remember to do it) if I drive in the late afternoon. It would be trivial for Tesla to allow complete customizability in programmed charging times.

Better yet would be to have the car communicate with the gateway and charge only when there's available excess solar, with an option to never draw from the grid. Or to draw from the grid only if the car's SoC is below a user-set level.

Reactions: GSP and navguy12

What the car really needs is a customizable Start Charging time and a customizable Stop Charging time.

AFAIK owners have been asking for a "set stop charging time" pretty much since the Model S came out in 2012 to no avail

It's one of those really weird feature gaps that seems basic and fundamental on ANY car let alone a super advanced software updatable one- like waypoints for nav- that Tesla keeps being unable or unwilling to add for some reason.

Reactions: GSP and navguy12
But now I have solar, so I want to charge when my solar panels are at peak production, typically from about 9:00 a.m. to about 3:00 p.m.

Are you sure this is what you want? :) We're in different states but the way I understand our solar working is that you are better off minimizing your usage during peak, as then you get credit for the power sent to the grid at the peak rate. I still charge at night even with solar because I want to "bank" as much peak power as possible and then "un-bank" it at off-peak rates when I can get 2-3 times the power for the same cost.

What the car really needs is a customizable Start Charging time and a customizable Stop Charging time. Before I had solar I set the car to start charging at 1:00 a.m. I didn't have ToU electric rates, but wanted to charge at a time that would put less stress on the grid. But now I have solar, so I want to charge when my solar panels are at peak production, typically from about 9:00 a.m. to about 3:00 p.m. This is the opposite of people who charge from the grid. And I know I'm not the only person with a Tesla and solar panels.

As it is I have to stop charging manually (generally from the app, but I have to remember to do it) if I drive in the late afternoon. It would be trivial for Tesla to allow complete customizability in programmed charging times.

Better yet would be to have the car communicate with the gateway and charge only when there's available excess solar, with an option to never draw from the grid. Or to draw from the grid only if the car's SoC is below a user-set level.

I wouldn't be too concerned, I think Tesla will get there. They have a history of introducing new features in very basic form and then improving it in future updates.

Take Dashcam/Sentry for example - originally was just the front camera (and really poor image at that), only to add side cameras and rear camera in future updates. Also, Sentry had to be manually turned on initially with no notification if it ever activated. I am assuming those functions will continue to be improved as well (time stamp on the video / ability to watch right from the center screen).

Had another hold bug today, shifted into reverse on my uphill driveway and car continued to roll forwards uphill. Hit the brake to bring it to a stop...release brake and it moves forward on its own uphill like it's in D and creep mode, kept doing this twice until I applied accelerator to reverse. Reported the bug and 10 mins later prompted with software update to 36.2.3....

Wonder how many minor fender benders have been caused by this bug...made my car roll forwards into a bush in my driveway (harmlessly).

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
Are you sure this is what you want? :) We're in different states but the way I understand our solar working is that you are better off minimizing your usage during peak, as then you get credit for the power sent to the grid at the peak rate. I still charge at night even with solar because I want to "bank" as much peak power as possible and then "un-bank" it at off-peak rates when I can get 2-3 times the power for the same cost.

Nope. Here in paradise so many people have installed PV that the utility is fully subscribed and by the time I got mine I could no longer get net metering. The utility will not take my excess. I am allowed to feed back a very small amount for balancing purposes, but they pay me nothing for it, and will complain if that gets too high. So my panels simply stop producing if the Powerwalls are full and the house isn't using power.

So I charge the car only when the panels are at or near peak production, typically from around 9:00 a.m. to around 3:00 p.m. I do this manually, but if the car did it automatically it would be nice. And better yet if the car would communicate with the gateway to pull only what was available after the house demand was met.

The place I notice this most is when I'm backing out of my driveway. It used to take just a little push to get it moving and then it would coast all the way out to the street. Now I need to keep applying a little accelerator to keep it moving. Not necessarily a bad thing but just a different feel after 5 months of the old way.
Wouldn’t you like the option for Hold to work only in Drive? Not in Reverse? I sure would, and it seems easy enough.