Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.2 - FSD AutoSteer Stop Sign Warning and Adjacent Lane Speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My stealth updated to 40.2 three days ago and now it's updating to 40.2.1 so I'm curious if I'll notice any differences. I paid extra close attention to how it drove itself on the way home so hopefully I'll be able to see if it's better or worse tomorrow.

Quick opinions/subjective experiences:
- autopilot much smoother in keeping center lane and eases better into and out of slowdowns when behind a car
- auto wiper still all over the place
- maybe I didn’t notice it before, but now when I am stopped and people walk in front of the car at a traffic light I see the person figures in the display
- NoA lane change now has gone from “parlor trick” to actually useful with the new “higher confidence” . Just did 130 mi drive in traffic and it handled it like a champ; where before it would be so tentative and with jerky aborts that it was dangerous for those around us.(Tacc distance 1 to 3, “Mad max” setting)
- seeing for the first time false positive cones, especially at night, where the car confuses the center lane cat-eye reflector thingies with traffic cones.
- despite a handful of attempts, still yet to see anything related to stop signs or traffic lights.
- much more reasonable speed and acceleration when there is a lot of speed contrast with adjacent lane.

M3 LR HW3 FSD 2019.40.2.1

Not me (I’m on 2019.40.2.1 now).

One major improvement I’ve noticed is in two-to-one lane merging on an on-ramp.
The car doesn’t jerk into the middle too early (after the lane markings disappear) anymore.
It stays close to the outside lane marking until the path ahead truly narrows to one lane.
I experience this issue every day on a particular section of road. Just received the new update and will see over the next few days that this issue is resolved.

Reported a false positive (bug report) for detection of a cone. It was actually the indicator light of the car if front of me. I was on a slight angle. The weird thing was the cone on the screen appeared and disappeared with the blink of the orange indicator of the car in front. I wish I got this on video as it was quite comical and a bit considering at the same time.

The SR+ should be able to hit the maximum kW for 120 kW and 150 kW Superchargers. For V3 Superchargers, the SR+ should theoretically peak at 170 kW.
We know it *should*. It's just surprising no one has actually documented the new SR+ charging curve, after all the discussion that occurred with the Long Ranges when they got high speed Supercharging...

If I ever get 40.2 I'll head to the Supercharger and video a session from low SOC. But I seem to be on the outs and get updates late these days...

SR+ 40.2
14 % charge on arrival.

I hit 133 at a SC rated at 120 (Must really be be a 150).

Only lasted for a minute then started dropping.
Outside temp 50. Only 10 minutes of conditioning before arriving at SC.
Lots of thermal thumps from pack while charging.

20 minutes to charge from 14 % to 70%.

Some data points. Video screwed up. No video until about 5 min into charge.
99 kw at 32%
97 kw at 33%
95 at 34%
93 35
92 36
90 37
88 39
87 40
85 41
84 43
83 44
82 46
81 47
80 48
79 49
78 50
77 51
71 56
70 57
69 58
66 60
64 61
64 62
62 63
62 64
61 65
59 66
58 67
57 68
56 69

I just had a weird thing happen. Was using TACC on a highway with traffic that was coming to a stop at a red light. While slowing down behind a car at about 20 MPH, a message popped up that said cruise control was disabled and of course I immediately took over braking so as to not hit the car in front of me. The really weird part was that other cars were not being shown on the screen anymore even though I was completely surrounded by other cars. There were no other warning messages of any kind saying the cameras were blinded or anything like that. I drove the car manually like a filthy peasant for about two minutes and everything turned back to normal. Not sure if this is a common thing or just something with this software release.

I had this happen 4 times on my 25 mile commute this AM. Only I was not slowing down. I was at highway speed when TACC just shut down with the red steering wheel icon. Cruise became available around 15-20 seconds later.

SR+ 40.2
14 % charge on arrival.

I hit 133 at a SC rated at 120 (Must really be be a 150).

Only lasted for a minute then started dropping.
Outside temp 50. Only 10 minutes of conditioning before arriving at SC.
Lots of thermal thumps from pack while charging.

20 minutes to charge from 14 % to 70%.

Some data points...

Thanks!

Glad to see some charging over 100kW...

Finally uploaded my video to go along with the pictures above. My video isn’t as nicely done as the guy in Australia nor did I hit 170kW but still cool to see it go above 100kW.

And for context:

Finally got to the V3 here in Las Vegas at The Linq. I got the car down to 26%, pre-conditioned after driving for at least an hour and a half running errands. It took off pretty fast but maxed at 127kW.

I have a June 2019 SR+ w/ FSD.

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
Has anyone been able to confirm if this is for FSD owners only? These seem like safety additions (at least identifying a stop sign/traffic light and the "attempt" to stop for them) which would make me think any car should get them. I'm kinda confused to how AP might work... Obviously the stop at stop sign or traffic light would be FSD features, but, someone could just activate AP and then wait till the absolute last second and see if AP would engage the stop as a "safety feature." If these features just didn't work at all when AP was engaged then it would actually be less safe then when a human was driving (think if automatic emergency braking didn't work during AP usage, etc)

This is going to get into a REALLY interesting forking between standard AP and FSD. A lot of these features will be looked at as directly relating to the safety of operating the vehicle, which Musk has always said will be included in his cars. But AP in the city has always been looked at as a FSD only upcoming feature... I wonder if they'll try to start geofencing AP to just highway or interstate routes so you won't be able to enable it on city roads unless you have FSD...
I do NOT have FSD, but I still got the 40.2 update. In fact, it’s the only update I’ve noticed and I went from 2019.31.

Yes!! The "swaying" side to side in the lane is horrible with this last update, I wish I hadn't updated.

M3 LR RWD

Thirded! Glad I'm not the only one! Definitely getting lots of swaying with this update. My wife gets car sick at the drop of a hat and already doesn't like AP to begin with. After this update my hunch is it will be a deal breaker to use w/ her in the car until it's improved.

Got the latest 40.2.1 update and did 180 miles round trip in Southern California.

NoA much improved over any previous version for me over the past year:
- Much better at freeway transitions while in the HOV lane, both when staying on the freeway (I-405) and changing freeways exiting left in HOV
- Speed reduction maintains a safer and more sensible speed when everyone else is crawling but the HOV lane is wide open. Unfortunately was still pretty abrupt with braking for this speed, though.
- Lane changes are definitely more aggressive but still much more capable in heavy traffic. Took me a few times to allow it without intervention, as my reflexes took over steering when it changed lanes a bit more quickly than I expected.
- A few lane changes were correctly aborted when other drivers tried to close the gap and take my target driving area in traffic. The car "faked" a few attempts into the new lane to open up more space in traffic and was then successful in changing lanes. WELL DONE!
- A bit of excess ping pong lane hunting in one of the wider lanes during a lane merge when number of lanes were reduced
- Lane keeping otherwise was excellent
- A few times the car seemed to be confused with asking for a left lane change when already in the far left (HOV) lane-- was in construction areas where the freeway is getting widened. I confirmed the lane change to see if it would try to go into the cement wall but the car just decided to stay in its lane (correctly). Odd how it still turned on the indicator as if it would change lanes into the barrier.
- Tested the red light detection, and it did work. Haven't tried on any stop signs yet.

Overall, this is the most capable version of AP/NoA that I've had for over a year and 21K miles in SoCal. Definitely the best performing version in heavy LA traffic.

However, I wouldn't exactly call it smooth driving with the occasional ping-ponging in lanes and sometimes abrupt braking. If it was my kid driving this way, I would still have told him, "Great job getting us there, though you could certainly practice being a bit smoother".

The SR+ should be able to hit the maximum kW for 120 kW and 150 kW Superchargers. For V3 Superchargers, the SR+ should theoretically peak at 170 kW.
I’m not quite sure they will max v2 chargers out. SR+ battery voltage is lower, requiring higher amperage to reach 150kW. I’m pretty sure heat buildup from the current going through the actual pedestal/cable will be the limitation. I should be able to test it out this afternoon though.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller