Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.50.x - Driving Visualization improvements, new voice commands, Camping Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the winter, I routinely wipe the rear camera clean to making backing up in parking lots easier. Much to my surprise, today I noticed that with the 40.50.1 firmware update, it seems like the rear camera resolution is now full HD.

It is much clearer than it was before the firmware update. I have HW 2.5 and did not expect the camera resolution to improve until HW3.

Has anyone else observed this?

I've only noticed that my camera is very glitchy and delayed now. The image sometimes freezes for several seconds while backing up which is.... undesirable.

Reactions: jordanair45
I have a couple of questions for anyone who is lucky enough to have the needed hardware and this update.

1. People seem to be assuming that voice commands are handled by a Tesla server. Can someone who has working voice recognition test this by going to a location with no cell or Wi-Fi reception and issuing a voice command like turn on heater?

2. Can someone confirm that stop sign and speed limit sign recognition are using the camera (as opposed to a detailed map) by testing on a non busy street and having an assistant cover a sign that the car normally recognizes and displays and see if it no longer displays it. Extra credit for printing a speed limit sign and having your assistant hold it up somewhere where no actual speed limit sign exists.

thanks

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
2. Can someone confirm that stop sign and speed limit sign recognition are using the camera (as opposed to a detailed map) by testing on a non busy street and having an assistant cover a sign that the car normally recognizes and displays and see if it no longer displays it. Extra credit for printing a speed limit sign and having your assistant hold it up somewhere where no actual speed limit sign exists.

@MorrisonHiker held up a portable stop sign paddle up in his driveway for @DÆrik to make a video and it detected it:

(At about 6:10 in the video.)

So at least for stop signs they don't have to be mapped and the camera is enough.

No, I don't think by design. Because for some light setups it keeps the colors. I think it really can't see them. It shows the actual light casing only because it knows where it is as you pass, not because it can actually see it the whole way.

But we'll see just have to see how it evolves. It'll be fun to be along for this ride!

Agreed. However, I still want to experiment with the Dashcam when I find a quiet intersection (so I can stop at measured distances and see how the car sees things vs dashcam). I'll post result here if they shed light on things a bit.

Reactions: ttdanimal

Speed limit are NOT read atm .. they come from map data. Apparently there is a patent issue blocking this (one of those meaningless "we did it with a computer" patents that has yet to be (rightly) thrown out by a court).

unless the rear seat eat heaters come on :)

wouldn't that be nice. I checked and no they did not go on. :)

Maybe not a bug. Changing the temp settings is how the HVAC controls the heater core. It turns on heater by setting temp to 74. Turns off by setting to 69. Core is not otherwise directly controllable.

That is interesting but is that explained in the manual somewhere? Could be confusing to those that do not understand that.

Based on what I am seeing in TeslaFi software tracker, I think the roll out has substantially stalled. Just trickling now (maybe folks on holiday coming back to allow the update to load), but it doesn't seem to be rolling out at anything close to the rate we initially saw on 12/24 (was several installs a minute now one install every several minutes). Maybe some issues? Guess I'm not so bummed that I'm stuck on 40.2.1.

• Love
Reactions: JeffnReno
My observation as well.

That doesn’t gibe with the “it’s server side and servers are overloaded” explanation going around.

The server load isn’t constant since not everyone would be trying voice commands at the exact same time. If it is indeed a server side issue then people would see laggy or no voice recognition at all during usage spikes. It’s likely just coincidence that you’ve had it work when first getting in your car and stopped working shortly after.

Some weird problems:
1. Car doesn't show "Favorites". Enabled on the phone, All checked on car bluetooth options. Have "Messages", Recent", "Contacts" and "Dialer". iPhone XR.
2. Doesn't send replies - ignores tap on screen and steering wheel right button (Message from voice recognized and shown on screen and "Tap to send" is on the screen).

The server load isn’t constant since not everyone would be trying voice commands at the exact same time. If it is indeed a server side issue then people would see laggy or no voice recognition at all during usage spikes. It’s likely just coincidence that you’ve had it work when first getting in your car and stopped working shortly after.
Don't think server load is a problem. Tesla obviously uses some cloud service from Amazon, Azure or whatever, which can handle much heavier load... There are way more Alexa users than Tesla drivers.

Some weird problems:
1. Car doesn't show "Favorites". Enabled on the phone, All checked on car bluetooth options. Have "Messages", Recent", "Contacts" and "Dialer". iPhone XR.
2. Doesn't send replies - ignores tap on screen and steering wheel right button (Message from voice recognized and shown on screen and "Tap to send" is on the screen).

1) And you are certain you have the favorites group set to sync? Go to Setting -> Bluetooth then select the i next to your Tesla and you should see the Bluetooth settings. Make sure favorites is selected:
6341B25D-C154-4ABF-9592-41B7A467D7D4.jpeg

2) We’re all experiencing issues with the voice recognition. The consensus is it’s a Tesla server side issue.

Reactions: JeffnReno
Don't think server load is a problem. Tesla obviously uses some cloud service from Amazon, Azure or whatever, which can handle much heavier load... There are way more Alexa users than Tesla drivers.

I don’t doubt they’re using some robust cloud service for their customer facing servers. Just because the service they are using is more than capable doesn’t mean there couldn’t be a bug with their server side software. Perhaps they underestimated the load and only have a quarter of the virtual machines actually needed running the voice recognition processing software. It may have been difficult for them to judge just how much the voice recognition usage would jump once they actually gave their customers a real reason to finally use it regularly.