Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.50.x - Driving Visualization improvements, new voice commands, Camping Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have only had my car about 5 days (first Tesla). Haven’t read all 640 posts in this thread but like many others with the 40.50.1 update my car is not seeing stop signs/signals and I am only getting voice commands to work intermittently. (When they work they are great.) These issues appear fairly widespread. I am wondering does Tesla ever comment on these glitches, acknowledge problems or tell us how or when the things will be fixed? Do we just wait for a fix or tweek?

I have only had my car about 5 days (first Tesla). Haven’t read all 640 posts in this thread but like many others with the 40.50.1 update my car is not seeing stop signs/signals and I am only getting voice commands to work intermittently. (When they work they are great.) These issues appear fairly widespread. I am wondering does Tesla ever comment on these glitches, acknowledge problems or tell us how or when the things will be fixed? Do we just wait for a fix or tweek?

Did you turn in the visualizations under the autopilot menu? They are defaulted off. It says they must be turned on right in the release notes.

I drove my visitors to Estes Park today and was stopped at the traffic light. I pointed out the traffic lights showing on the screen with the new visualizations to everyone in the car, and someone said there was an orange traffic cone showing, too. But, we couldn’t see an actual traffic cone anywhere. Then the traffic cone moved. That’s when we realized that the guy on the sidewalk in a bright orange Denver Broncos football jacket got up and started walking. I guess that means we need to be extra careful not to run over a traffic cone showing on the display!

I drove my visitors to Estes Park today and was stopped at the traffic light. I pointed out the traffic lights showing on the screen with the new visualizations to everyone in the car, and someone said there was an orange traffic cone showing, too. But, we couldn’t see an actual traffic cone anywhere. Then the traffic cone moved. That’s when we realized that the guy on the sidewalk in a bright orange Denver Broncos football jacket got up and started walking. I guess that means we need to be extra careful not to run over a traffic cone showing on the display!

If he's a Bronco's fan this year, you should run him over to put him out of his misery!

P.S. Yes, I'm kidding...

That's hysterical! Well, I think this version gives an idea of what Tesla can do - just not ready yet for prime time. My car saw a Christmas tree set in from the sidewalk and turned it into a cone (closer to the street) as a visualization. I guess it kinda got this right? For some reason my car can take anything multicolored and turn it into a cone. Cone obsessed!

I'm still having problems with voice commands as well. At this point, I wish there was a way to roll the update back. I shut off visualizations and am just waiting for our Christmas "gift" to go away. Yes, I'm convinced that the software is quite sophisticated, but still has a way to go. It's a complicated car and these things can't be rushed.

I don't have FSD and am sitting on a fence. I really like the way the car drives - and always look for excuses to drive it. But that is contrary to the desire (possibly) to have the car drive itself. It's a paradox that a lot of Tesla owners probably struggle with. I'll probably get FSD, but torture myself for a while thinking about it!

How can you want the car to drive itself if you like driving it so much? This will drive the philosophical types nuts!

I don't have FSD and am sitting on a fence. I really like the way the car drives - and always look for excuses to drive it. But that is contrary to the desire (possibly) to have the car drive itself. It's a paradox that a lot of Tesla owners probably struggle with. I'll probably get FSD, but torture myself for a while thinking about it!

How can you want the car to drive itself if you like driving it so much? This will drive the philosophical types nuts!

That's deep, reductio ad absurdum teslum, like the classic Thomas Aquinas query, many Teslas can self drive on the head of a pin..........

That's deep, reductio ad absurdum teslum, like the classic Thomas Aquinas query, many Teslas can self drive on the head of a pin..........

You've got to admit - we are a little nuts. People push to get to drive a Tesla, fight to buy them - and yet FSD puts you in the back seat.

Put FSD on a Camry (no offense to Camry owners). The car will drive you.

And to have a stealth (faux) performance car. It's fun to just make it through the intersection as the yellow light turns to red. I guess there could be days I want to just sleep while driving .....

Reactions: PACEMD
You've got to admit - we are a little nuts. People push to get to drive a Tesla, fight to buy them - and yet FSD puts you in the back seat.

Put FSD on a Camry (no offense to Camry owners). The car will drive you.

And to have a stealth (faux) performance car. It's fun to just make it through the intersection as the yellow light turns to red. I guess there could be days I want to just sleep while driving .....

Right, well, I like to do the driving but it is nice to be able to turn the work over to the car, right? I had to drive my wife's 4Runner out of town last week and let me tell you, I love that car but it's so damn lazy you can't believe it. First, it wouldn't even bother to get up off it's ass to come pick me up, not to mention I had put my hands on the steering wheel, turn the steering wheel, push my foot on the gas then the brake, remind it that it would be a good idea to stay in its own lane on the highway........and don't even get me started on what I had to do to pass another car, jesus on a stick.......that's some work for your ass right there.......

Last edited:
Hey I did find with the voice commands that all of us might be holding the button to long. On my long weekend drive I found that if I just click the button and let go like a true button the voice commands worked every time. Vs holding the button like we had to before this update. Can someone else confirm if this helps them. I will double check in our other 3 but won’t be able to until Sunday.
I think that is really what is screwing up the voice commands. Now if I held button a little I would get the intermittent issues but if you click it and let go it works great every time

Reactions: evannole