Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.50.x - Driving Visualization improvements, new voice commands, Camping Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've tried voice commands again this morning and it's suddenly a lot better without me doing anything, so a server side issue seems to be the likely reason.

It's still not understanding some of the basic commands such as "open the rear view camera", but that has been working for others from what I've seen. The texting feature works well. All in all, it's a very worthwhile improvement.

Was driving manually (I think), when a car turned left in front of me.
Car was far enough in front of me that some braking was appropriate.

My car automatically hit the brakes (slightly more than I would but not excessive) and showed the offending car in RED on my screen.

Have not seen cars in any color other than gray till now.

Maybe I know our first 3 you had to hold the button, for it to work and then maybe they switched it. I just know, that once I started clicking the button and letting go the new voice commands work flawlessly. Hmmm I was just being dumb the entire time. Lmao

I saw a lot of people debating if it is Tesla’s own server or if they are using cloud services like AWS or Azure. I work for a tech hardware company that Tesla would have to buy direct from if they managed their own servers/storage and they are not buying directly from us so it has to be a 3rd party service for them.

I've tried voice commands again this morning and it's suddenly a lot better without me doing anything, so a server side issue seems to be the likely reason.

It's still not understanding some of the basic commands such as "open the rear view camera", but that has been working for others from what I've seen. The texting feature works well. All in all, it's a very worthwhile improvement.

This is also very likely. Well long as it works consistently and fast I think everyone will be happy.

Was driving manually (I think), when a car turned left in front of me.
Car was far enough in front of me that some braking was appropriate.

My car automatically hit the brakes (slightly more than I would but not excessive) and showed the offending car in RED on my screen.

Have not seen cars in any color other than gray till now.

I've seen one in red on earlier versions for AEB

• Informative
Reactions: HG Wells
...and be in the USA for now...
Yes, nothing from the vizualizations in Europe.

As for camp mode - I think it is better now with camp mode. I can finally setup the air conditioning to blow at low level or even turn AC off which will hugely improve the consumption and noise inside the cabin. Now camping will be great again:)

Also, there is an easter egg in camp mode at around the 10 minute mark if your screen is on.

I saw a lot of people debating if it is Tesla’s own server or if they are using cloud services like AWS or Azure. I work for a tech hardware company that Tesla would have to buy direct from if they managed their own servers/storage and they are not buying directly from us so it has to be a 3rd party service for them.

That seems overly presumptuous. Sure they could be using a cloud service... But they could also buy a wide variety of various hardware to put in a data center if they wanted to run it themselves. Why do you think they would "have to buy direct" from your firm? I am sure you are not the only company that can provide server hardware.

What this update with the added visualizations brings to mind is the infinite data set that is available to choose from to program a car to drive on it’s own. All kinds of stuff keeps popping up on the display so I have to work a little bit more to keep an eye on the road. I do like the trash bins and at one intersection I drive through all the time the stops sign is shown as 2 signs, but the red blinking light doesn’t show in the traffic signal visualization.
Remarkable.

I don't know where this thing about holding the button in for voice commands has come from. It's never been like that. Maybe some just thought it was necessary and have now discovered it isn't?

Maybe they use walkie-talkies a lot and just got used to PTT buttons?

Many other cars require it, and prior to this software release it worked just fine on a model 3. Now it will interpret your voice, display that interpretation, but not act upon it if you do it this way. I can understand how if you never had a car that required a held button to use a mic, you’d not think to do that.

• Informative
Reactions: Dangerous Fish
Not 100% sure, but seems with 40.50.1 display stopped showing parked cars. It sure shows trash cans much better than cars at curb.

I have found this to be the case, as well. Mine will still show them occasionally, but it is concerning when it will pick up a fire hydrant (as a cone) 200 feet away or like two dozen trash cans at a time but it isn't displaying any of the cars I am driving by that are on the side of the road. Also, when I drive through a parking lot with people walking around, the car almost never displays them on the screen. I kind of wish they would spend less time making sure the car picks up cones and trash cans and more time making sure it reliably detects cars and people, you know, the things I really don't want to hit.

Yes, nothing from the vizualizations in Europe.

As for camp mode - I think it is better now with camp mode. I can finally setup the air conditioning to blow at low level or even turn AC off which will hugely improve the consumption and noise inside the cabin. Now camping will be great again:)

Also, there is an easter egg in camp mode at around the 10 minute mark if your screen is on.

I am comparing camp mode to climate on. I camp in my car often.

So far camp mode has been more efficient than climate on. With climate on I was going through 4.5% of battery per hour. With camp mode 3.15% of battery per hour.

this could have been because of my settings with climate on. However. Haven’t had the chance to re test it. I’ll report back when I do.

I have found this to be the case, as well. Mine will still show them occasionally, but it is concerning when it will pick up a fire hydrant (as a cone) 200 feet away or like two dozen trash cans at a time but it isn't displaying any of the cars I am driving by that are on the side of the road. Also, when I drive through a parking lot with people walking around, the car almost never displays them on the screen. I kind of wish they would spend less time making sure the car picks up cones and trash cans and more time making sure it reliably detects cars and people, you know, the things I really don't want to hit.

I think it shows you what you need to know. Parked cars essentially won't cause any issues. I realize that folks often don't do a good job parking, but if those cars intrude in the lane of traffic, auto steer would/should avoid them like any other car or obstacle. In that situation, the parked car is no longer a parked car.

Not so with traffic cones and garbage cans. Traffic cones will close off a lane. Garbage cans can often intrude in traffic lanes, especially in residential neighborhoods. Around here, the garbage trucks are all about speed and efficiency. If they should drop a can that hits the edge of a curb and topple over into the street, it most likely would stay there and become an obstacle that needs to be avoided.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I am comparing camp mode to climate on. I camp in my car often.

So far camp mode has been more efficient than climate on. With climate on I was going through 4.5% of battery per hour. With camp mode 3.15% of battery per hour.

this could have been because of my settings with climate on. However. Haven’t had the chance to re test it. I’ll report back when I do.
The biggest benefit is that you can turn off AC (the blue round button) and in the summer it will save you a lot. You will go to barely using anything. In the winter not so much. If you are testing in a warmish climate I would set the camp mode to ON and put the AC to off, wind blowing at 2. This will give you nice circulation and you will barely spend any energy. If it is not that loud, you can try 3. But I find 3 a bit too loud when sleeping. This is why I only had climate on for the first couple of hours and off during the night - it was too noisey.

Reactions: jordanair45
I think it shows you what you need to know. Parked cars essentially won't cause any issues. I realize that folks often don't do a good job parking, but if those cars intrude in the lane of traffic, auto steer would/should avoid them like any other car or obstacle. In that situation, the parked car is no longer a parked car.

Not so with traffic cones and garbage cans. Traffic cones will close off a lane. Garbage cans can often intrude in traffic lanes, especially in residential neighborhoods. Around here, the garbage trucks are all about speed and efficiency. If they should drop a can that hits the edge of a curb and topple over into the street, it most likely would stay there and become an obstacle that needs to be avoided.
I wonder about auto-park...

I saw a post somewhere from Tesla support saying the unresponsive voice commands are a known issue and will be addressed in a future firmware upgrade. I'm guessing there will be improved error trapping in the car's system that will delay or resubmit commands when the servers are momentarily swamped. For the user this could happen so fast it wouldn't be noticed. The command gets delayed, sure, but it's a whole lot better than being ignored.

I'd also like improved contextual voice to text. e.g. I have trouble getting the system to understand "open glove box". Unless I say it VERY slow and deliberately, it echos back "open dropbox" or "open redbox", neither of which makes sense giving context.

Reactions: JeffnReno
What other differences are you running into?

Only difference between climate on and camp mode is you have full control of the car with camp mode. I actually use camp mode when supercharging.

With climate on, it saves whatever setting you had the climate on and keeps it there. It kicks into auto so the AC is running 24/7. After a while, the car goes into sleep mode and the screen turns off. So, you cannot use anything. You cannot crack open a window, unlock a door, charge your phone, adjust the seats, etc. Which was a problem, because if I slept in the back, and tried to open the door to get out, the alarm would go off, so I had to unlock the car from the app to get out.

With camp mode it gives you full control of the climate, can turn off the AC, have fans on only, etc. Car is 100% on do you can charge your phone or whatever over night, plug things into the outlets, use the windows, netflix and chill. You can adjust the seats, open the doors, without any issues. I love it! After a period of time a screensaver kicks in, but a quick tap on the screen gets the screen back to normal.