Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.50.x - Driving Visualization improvements, new voice commands, Camping Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IME the warning is always on, but it says “off” without a passenger and “on” with it. So you always know its status.
Really? I don’t ever remember ever seeing this before 40.50.x. Anyone else? It’s pretty prominent.

I recall Bluetooth being in the corner, not the airbag all the time. Maybe with a passenger but not without one.

Mine is on all the time as well. Just says ON or OFF depending on if there is a passenger or heavy object in the seat.
So this is new for 40.50.something? I know it wasn’t there a few weeks ago (haven’t ridden in GF’s 3 in a bit).

I assume it would appear only when the bag is off (usual light object, car seat, etc.). Now it appears to be on all the time.

So this is new for 40.50.something? I know it wasn’t there a few weeks ago (haven’t ridden in GF’s 3 in a bit).

I assume it would appear only when the bag is off (usual light object, car seat, etc.). Now it appears to be on all the time.

I do believe it is new. When I got my car on software version 35.102 or something like that, there was only the Bluetooth icon in the upper right corner while the passenger seat was empty.

Reactions: boaterva
Anyone else think Tesla needs to tweak the rate limiter for TACC speed changes? When my car is following traffic it nearly makes me nauseous with how it handles acceleration. Its almost as if it treats the accelerator like a binary input. Its very reminiscent of an old school "bang bang" control system. I don't care if my car is *exactly* 27.345 feet behind the car in front so I'd prefer smoother accelerations even if that distance varies by a few feet because of it.
Yes - it's a little too aggressive right now. Having said that, I prefer it this way to how it was before. It was WAY too lethargic before. I think we need something somewhere in the middle.

Reactions: diezel_dave
Yes - it's a little too aggressive right now. Having said that, I prefer it this way to how it was before. It was WAY too lethargic before. I think we need something somewhere in the middle.

I like the aggressiveness, its the way it seems to want to maintain an EXACT specified distance from the car in front that makes me nauseous. If the lead car is driving at a consistent/smooth speed, then it doesn't bother me because my car will mirror that smoothness. If the lead car drives like the gas pedal is an on/off switch, then that jerky acceleration is mirrored by my car which makes me sick. I would like a buffer so the TACC doesn't mind if the distance between the lead car and mine is changing by a few feet. It can use that buffer to smooth out the accelerations, if that makes any sense. That is how the dynamic cruise control worked in my VW. I found that system to operate far more smoothly and consistently because it would try to maintain a set distance but didn't freak out if the car's relative distances changed by a few feet (within a safe margin, of course).

I don't like the way the car accelerates now on autopilot too. It's almost like it floors the pedal all the time. But tbh lots of americans were complaining that the car accelerates too gently and slowly to keep up with traffic so I guess we are now reaping the fruits of the complains.

My complaint is exactly the opposite, it increases it's speed by about 1 mph per second. Today I turned from a 25 mph road onto a 45 mph road, and 5 seconds after turning, it was only up to 30 mph. I was embarrassed, so kicked off TACC and floored it to get up to speed.

Yesterday on a freeway, I had the "car merged OUT of my lane, AP lost track of that car and slowed down WAY too far(down to about 45 on a 65mph freeway)" and then slowly climbed back up until I use the "Go Pedal" to get up to a reasonable speed.

Another issue I had with TACC and Autosteer was on a 4 lane road(speed limit 45) where there is a sweeping right hand curve with 3 turn lanes to the left. I was in the far left lane which continues(so next to the turn lane with stopped cars). As I approached the intersection, we were going 50ish, and just as the curve started, there was an 18 wheeler in the nearest turn lane. The car totally freaked out as it saw the truck, I imagine it thought it was stopped directly in front of me. Since my hands were on the wheel already, it was not that huge of a deal, but just another example(to me) that we are nowhere near ready for FSD.

Attachments

• curve.PNG
    curve.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 75
UPDATE Brought it into Service and they said the update did not properly complete because of a wifi issue.. I disagreed because I have a pro level access point in the garage. However anything is possible. They attempted to do an update at the service centre and it hit issues. Seems to be a hardware issue so they're keeping it for the weekend and will work on it until Monday.

So it's just my car. I'm just happy they are on it and I have a loaner. It's all good.

Cheers

Check out this list.

Model 3 Standard Range Plus all happened after a recent update. 2019.40.50.1

None fo these systems are working

1. rear camera not working
2. Auto steer
3. Cruise control
4. Driver auto up and down window
5. Navigation
6. Intermittent day-night auto switch not work
7. Auto wipers not working
8. Fan or something under frunk runs as soon as I enter the car and for 5-10 mins after I leave. really loud 75 decibels almost as loud as my diesel BMW
9. All advanced safety features: Fwd collision warning, lane departure
10. Sentry mode not working.

The car is pretty much basic. anyone else having issues?

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
UPDATE Brought it into Service and they said the update did not properly complete because of a wifi issue.. I disagreed because I have a pro level access point in the garage. However anything is possible. They attempted to do an update at the service centre and it hit issues. Seems to be a hardware issue so they're keeping it for the weekend and will work on it until Monday.

So it's just my car. I'm just happy they are on it and I have a loaner. It's all good.

Cheers

I don’t buy a Wifi issue. That’s not how things work. It doesn’t start an install until a full download is complete and verified. You don’t depend on network access in the middle of an update.

I don’t buy a Wifi issue. That’s not how things work. It doesn’t start an install until a full download is complete and verified. You don’t depend on network access in the middle of an update.

it depends...

you are right that the download and flash process are sequential.

BUT, the 'hw issue' could be a bad wifi chip or some stuck state that causes the rest of the updates to fail.

seen it happen before in my travels (not tesla).

installs can abort for LOTS of reasons.

Reactions: MP3Mike
it depends...

you are right that the download and flash process are sequential.

BUT, the 'hw issue' could be a bad wifi chip or some stuck state that causes the rest of the updates to fail.

seen it happen before in my travels (not tesla).

installs can abort for LOTS of reasons.

No "WIFI" issue of any kind(*) (as Tesla claimed) could cause the update to fail to properly install.

Other hardware failure or software bug could.

* Well if the WIFI Chip caught the car on fire in the middle of an install I guess you could say Wifi could cause an install to fail ;)

Seeing as how this issue is only being reported by one user, I'm inclined to believe Tesla's answer. Why would they BS? If this was an issue with the update software, we would all be affected, not just one person. Perhaps their download verification process needs to be more robust, but then, why haven't we heard similar instances?

Our cars are complex beasts, every bit as complex an smart phones. With every OS update from Apple, we hear of phones being bricked or needing a complete wipe. Sh!t happens.

So you are saying that failure to update the WiFi firmware couldn't possibly cause the update as a while to fail?

This is just nonsense.

I highly doubt WIFI firmware is being updated very often.

If you want to make dumb excuses for a Tesla tech's dumb excuses go right ahead.

And if it was a well managed install everything should have updated and ended up with failed WIFI.

You don't "wipe" everything and then start with one of the least critical components and then stop.

The Technician wouldn't probably have a clue that, that happened either. He's just blaming tech he doesn't even understand.